TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I forgot about this. Yesterday I had a doctors appt, so went and did that. But I needed to go to the grocery store to pick up some needed items, but also wanted to get a turkey breast to make for my hubby and I. Walked 3 different grocery stores and not one of them had the turkey breasts. Had had diarrhea all day so didn't eat after I left the house, so I wasn't running to the bathroom all the time. In the midst of this, I forgot to take my mid day pain med. Let me tell you after doing all I did and not taking the afternoon pain med, but the time I got home afterwards every single part of me hurt.

I know most at my point are not on pain meds, but I have fibromyalgia and suffer with chronc pain and take pain meds 3 times a day. I am actually back on my pre tkr surgery dosage. I did learn, not to forget that dose again. Was so hard to get to sleep lastnight cuz I was so achey. Won't do that again! But.....I was so pleased I was able to walk so far:)
 
Gail, I am so sorry your sister is going through this too. I was just watching Suze Orman on PBS and listening to her money advice and realizing that I need to do a better job on some things finance wise. I think when you go through something like TKR and read the stories on this forum, especially the one where something goes wrong, and the person cannot go back to work, and I think "that could have been me" and it has really made me aware that I need to be saving more and tightening my belt a little because you never know what can happen.
 
Lisa that is so true! My hubby is really good with money, and over the past 7-8 years we started really saving. I was doing some side work for one of my guys and every cent of that we would put it away. We were saving for retirement, not realizing it was going to come sooner rather than later. Thank goodness we did that, as now we have funds to hold us for awhile.
 
Gail, That is so good you did that! I have always been a saver, since I was on my own but with the economy the way it is, I think I need to put a little more aside. Rainy day money as they say. But it is a comfort.
 
You know this is the first week I have not gone to formal PT, and I can honestly say, I feel better for not going. I did some home PT with wieghts the other day, and I was so miserable for a couple days. But stopping the weights, I feel so much better. And just walking around feels good. I think I am going to do better with my ROM doing things my way and by not pushing so hard. I even feel like I am limping less. Lets see how it goes! Hugs!
 
Gail, sounds like just doing a lot of walking and riding the bike may be your ticket to improvemnt! Glad you are feeling better.
 
Gail, I am sorry you don't get a chance to see your daughters and grandchildren much. Must be very hard being so far away, especially during the holidays. Do you do Skype with them at all? I have a friend whose daughter moved to Australia as she married a man there and I think Skype is the only thing that keeps her going.
 
Happy to hear you are feeling better, Gail. I ride my exercise bike two or three times a day, for 15 minutes each time. It certainly keeps my knee less stiff and it helps with keeping the old weight down too. So a bonus in every way.

I know you will do well from now on. Good for you :thumb:
 
Wow lastnite hubby was massaging my surgical knee and I felt the need to stretch it. So I did! Something happened, not sure what, but I cannot believe how much straighter this made my knee. I even stood up and it was straighter. Now its not at 0, but I can tell you its straighter than it has been.

I think with me pushing myself to walk more is really helping, as well as the nightly massages my husband has been giving my knee. And I don't have that beat up feeling the next day either. I think I made a good decision to stop this formal PT. I think I am doing MUCH better on my own and with less soreness. Hugs!
 
You might have popped some of the scar tissue. I know popped is not a technical term. But I found that sometimes after warming up my knee with either exercise or stretching in the whirlpool, then I would feel or hear a crack, and then I would get a better stretch all of a sudden. Either way that is GREAT!
 
Gail, I'm so glad that you're doing well and improving on your leg straightening! Good for you!:thumb: It's nice that you have your own massage therapist at home! I hope your Crohns is settling down my friend!
 
That's what happened to me too! I got more extension but not flexion so I still had to get the
MUA but my extension was almost 0!
 
There was no pop or crack, it just all of a sudden felt straighter. I mean if there was a pop I didn't hear it, but I gave my leg one of those pre tkr leg stretches (forgetting a moment I had had the tkr) and after that is when it felt straighter. I walked alot with the errands I had to run today, and knee is stiff now, but I was able to walk around quite a bit. Hugs!
 
That's excellent news, Gail. I'm sure your extension will improve from now on and so will everything else - about time too, aye? :yes!:
 
Nanners, I ADORE your persistence -- walked 3 stores for turkey breast, because.....You wanted turkey breast!

That's the fire you're bringing to your self-directed PT. Well done!
 
Gail, how are you feeling? How is the walking? Everything seems about the same with my knee. Still stiffness, still some soreness, still walking with a slight limp, sometimes better than others. Frankly, I am rather depressed about it but then I am kind of down right now anyway with this trip looming. Just wanted to check in.
 
I am doing okay. But the knee is about the same, though it is feeling a little more stable of late. I don't know if I am just getting more comfortable with it or what, but I can tell you I am not missing PT. My knee seems to like it more not being pushed so much. And my body is not missing the weights anymore either. My husband keeps asking if I need the wheelchair in some stores, but I keep saying no becuz I think the walking will be more beneficial for me. I get tired pretty easily, and yesterday we were out and the cold really got to my knee too. I was surprised at that.

I am so sorry you are feeling so blue. I posted in your thread, but I think Dad really is hoping you come. I think that he really needs the company, and maybe your attention will bring him out of his blues. Sending giant hugs of love your way!
 
Well sorry I have not been posting of late, the blues have hit me kinda hard. Just missing my kids and grandkids, and remembering how it use to be when they were little. Always family got together and it was a great time. But now kids are grown and live all over the US, my Mom has passed, and I am just so sad for what once was a happy time in my life. Had a good cry about it lastnight. Sigh!

Knee is okay, but not liking the cold, it gets so achey. And what sucks is I live in sunny southern California, and its freezing in my house right now. Hope you all are doing good! Hugs!
 
Gail, I am sorry you have the blues. I am sure it is very hard not having your kids and grandkids close. Makes the holiday really lonely I am sure. I am glad you had a good cry. It helps som,e, at least it does me. We had a really cold day here, the first really cold one we have had. And when I got out of the car to go to Starbucks, when the wind hit my knee it felt the whole thing turned into a block of ice! Not so much achey, but really stiff. And each time I went into the cold today, it was like that until I got inside and warmed up.

Hang in there, sweetie! I am packing and getting ready to fly out tomorrow. At least I missed all of the bad weather. Will, try and touch base while I am gone, but may not get on much until I get back. Big hug! I am thinking of you. :kittykiss: :puppysmooze: :friends: :chrisglitter: :sleigh: :xmaskitty:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom