TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gail, so sorry to read you are feeling really down about your extension. It sucks, it really does. I do know how frustrated you are - I have felt the same about my flexion, but I don't have your other issues to deal with, which makes it all the worse for you, my dear friend.

If an MUA is the answer for your extension, see how I get on after my MUA next week. I am going in this with a positive attitude, thinking that the MUA will do the trick for me.

Do take the advice given by others - get a second opinion. Sure hope you come out of this blueness soon :flwrysmile:
 
I hope you feel better today Gail! I am back at my desk today and can't check the forum as much but I am thinking of you and sending you good vibes and hugs!:puppysmooze::kittykiss:
 
Thanks Lisa and Kathy & Orthodoc. I get pretty blue especially when my guts are in turmoil which they have been for the past couple of days. I think I may have to cancel todays PT session as I have watery diarrhea today and feel really nauseous. I hate Crohns Disease in case I haven't told you that yet!!

But Shubbles gave me a good post on Nylands thread that has helped some. She said sometimes while working on flexing the extension suffers. And I think that may be happening. When I made the other post that I did out of my thread, I was not saying I was a longtimer, I WAS looking for responses from longtimers. But I guess I won't ever get to hear any of their thoughts as they aren't going to be reading our individual posts. Oh well! I am just gonna keep plugging along and see how things develop. Hugs~!
 
Gail, I am so sorry your guts are all in turmoil! I am sure the stress of this has not helped either. Rest up, my dear, and I hope you feel better soon. :puppysmooze::kittykiss:
 
Thanks Lisa!! I think I figured out what the problem is.....Tylenol. I have been waking up about 1 or 2 am and am hurting in my hip on the tkr side the past few nights. So instead of taking my regular pain med, I took a lighter pain med Norco. It has Tylenol in it, and after this tkr surgery it was all the Tylenol in my pain meds that gave me such bad gastritis. I already can't take Aleve, Aspirin or Ibruprofen type meds, now I guess I can't take any Tylenol either. I was worried about taking too much of my pain med in the night, but I should have just taken it instead. Oh well, lesson learned. Drinking my tummy settling tea right now (Chamomile and Peppermint teas). Hopefully that will quiet things down and I can make it to PT afterall. Thanks for always supporting me Lisa, it means so much to me. Hugs!
 
Gail, that is so great you figured out what was bothering you! Give yourself a break today and skip PT. One miss won't matter. Curl up with Flea and a good book or a sappy movie and give your system a rest. I am always here for you friend. :kittykiss::puppysmooze:
 
Gail, I have been catching up on your posts, I have days where I read and read on Bonesmart and then I don't get back on for several days. Anyway, I am having trouble with bending & straightening. I don't remember what week it was now, but it was early on, we were working on straightening I was at 14. We did some stretching etc. then she had me on the table, called another pt over to be the "bad guy", I did not like the sound of that at all. He got on the table with me on my good side, leaned over me and pushed down on my leg with all his weight. I did deep breathing, tried to relax, and finally told them to stop, he didn't and I yelled at him that I was not kidding! He got me down to 2. It was very painful, and then I was mad so I started crying and that made me madder. Next she had me turn over onto my stomach and she massaged the back of my knee, it hurt and felt good at the same time. After that I was abel to get to about 7 on my own. It did not last. I am having a manipulation on this Thursday for bending and straightening. I do form scar tissue, when I had my wreck I had so many injuries that one doc said my scarring mechanisim went haywire. I had to have a MUA with my first knee 17 years ago, but it had had many surgeries so I wasn't too surprised. This knee has never had surgery until the TKR, so I was hoping it wouldn't form a lot of scar tissue. I am changing pt groups. I went to talk to the new group last week, a coworker who is a PT recomended them. I feel a little guilty about changing...dumb I know...but I am excited about the new group. They agree that therapy should not make you cry. I hope that you will get a second opinion, and that you will get some answers.
 
Thank you Clovergirl! My PT does something similar. She presses down on the knee and then has me push up into her hands, then she tells me to relax, relax, relax. Then we repeat. Kinda sounds like what was done to you. Shubbles said that her PT's tell her that if you push too much in one direction either bend or extension suffers. So that could be my problem.

I am skipping PT for today, but will do some exercises at home later. My guts are in a bad mood, and I need to let them rest a bit. Hugs!
 
Well I decided to just take it easy today. I just feel too blech! Made the call and cancelled PT for today. Been running to the loo quite a bit, and my stomach feels torn up. I hate when I feel like this, it just makes me feel so blue, as if we don't already have enough issues with feeling blue. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Hope your all having a better day!
 
Nanners ( Gail ) I just wanted you to know how very, very, much I wish you success with your knee. You have been doing your very best trying to get that knee to extend all the while fighting such a monster of a disease ..Crohns. So many people don't know what Crohns actually is, and the affects it has on the body and mind of the sufferer.
I have the greatest of admiration for you dear one..you deal with this monster every day of your life, and yet manage to smile, give us here your best wishes, and even though you may get the blues ( and you have a right to with what you face!!) you still get on with things, and enjoy your life.

I want you to know your strength dealing with all you are is amazing, and I admire you for it.

Please feel better Gail..you deserve the very, very best life has to offer. STAY STRONG DEAR ONE. :friends:
 
Just as well, I think Gail, that you cancelled your PT today. Try and tell yourself that you WILL have a better day tomorrow and I'm sure you will regardless. You have many good friends on here to support you :flwrysmile:
 
Toni your words mean so much to me, thank you from my heart. You actually made me cry, becuz your right not many know of the challenges of living with Crohns day to day. Alot think it just affects the intestines, when in reality it affects the whole body. I went into this replacement surgery with great plans of doing whatever to help make it strong again. But the Crohns is always right there reminding me that I can't ignore it and sometimes it is in control not me.

I think I am going to get there one day. I am just going to take it one day at time and do the best I can. Hey I am only 3 months out and as Jo always says it still early days. I bet when I quit trying to push it with this PT it will just come along. I was reading AGAIN that it can take a year to reach full ROM. So I have more time to get there! Hugs and thanks again for your kind words!
 
Thank you Kathy! Hoping for a better day tomorrow! It has to be better than today, as today sucks! LOL Thank you for always being my friend. Sometimes I feel so low, but you guys always find a way to lift me back up. Thank you!
 
Hi Gail and Clovergirl, your description of pt and what I was going through with my first pt is so similar. It was so painful and only produced results when they were practically standing on my knee. It was not helpful and a waste of time and money. I vowed never again.

I hope you both can find a better way to work through your issues. There is a solution, just don't give up.

Gail, I had a friend who was dealing with Crohns and it was a nightmare for her, just like you describe. You are a brave woman to tackle so many things at the same time. Prayers to you for comfort to find you soon.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Thanks Kathy! I am feeling a bit better, but tummy is still a bit rough. When these bouts hit, it takes a few days to go away. So I can say I am improving, but still feeling blech, if that makes sense. No appointments today, thankfully. Only managed a few stretches yesterday, not sure how much more will get done today, but we will see how it goes. Hugs!
 
Gail, I so am hoping that you are feeling better today and that your Crohns symptoms have settled down some. :console2:
You are such a strong woman to be dealing with all that is thrown at you on a daily basis! I hope your Crohns gives you peace soon!

I wish you better days my friend! :friends:
 
kneesrus I saw your reply on Al's post and you were discussing how we can gain more ROM. I am at 3 mos now and my bend is 105 and my straightening ranges around 11-14. It has actually been going backwards with my current PT. When I first went I met with the head therapist he measured me at 10 then put a hot pack on the back of my knee and had me dangle my tkr knee off the bench for a bit and got it down to 7. But with the current therapist its been going back the other way. Do you think I can continue to get my straightening better since I am still fairly early in my recovery? Thank you for your thoughts! Hugs!
 
Gail, that dang gut of yours. Wish that could all be better so you could concentrate on your recovery. I am sure you know which foods to stay away from. Are there foods that you know won't hurt your gut, or will even the bland stuff sometimes make your tummy turn into turmoil? Sure would be nice if you could find a list of foods that you could eat and not bother you and then avoid everything else. But bet that doesn't work.
 
Debbie I do have a pretty fixed diet. Lots of chicken, fish and turkey. But when these gastritis attacks hit, I don't want anything to eat. I literally have to force myself to eat some crackers or toast so I can take my meds. I have only eaten a small quesadilla this morning and a piece of toast this afternoon. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for caring!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom