TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nanner. Extension often is hard to obtain because the amount of time someone has waited to have a TKR. I am working with a 58y.o. male that needed a TKR 10 years ago. He has a 15deg extension lag. My success with this condition is to have the patient sit on the treatment table. Take a gait belt around the back of the calf and around me. (I'm sitting in front of the patient). Then I gentle lean back and have the lower leg glide forward. This is painless to the patient and it stretches the joint. It is better than pushing down on the knee.
You could also lay on your bed face down with you leg dangling off the end of the bed, and let gravity help. This along with striking your heel first when walking will help. There is not a quick fix.
I also have the patient stretch their heel cords by placing half their foot on a book and lean forward. They also work on stretching their hamstrings gentle.
Best of luck, it will get better but not by Saturday.
David
 
kneesrus Thank you so much!! You have given me some much needed hope and some new exercises to do at home. I tried the book idea and its works great and does not hurt. My therapist would do something sorta like you described in the other exercise, but she would have me sit on the bench with my tkr leg hanging off, and she gently pulled down on my leg and slowly pushed it back till I said stop, and that one I liked too. But when she is pushing down on it, its really uncomfortable and I am beat up the next day. Thanks again for your thoughts, I needed it more than you know! Hugs!
 
I was supposed to have PT today, but its raining cats and dogs today, and there is flooding all over the place. But when I called to cancel todays appt, found out my therapist is on vacation all next week. I was only planning on going this month and then stopping becuz my state disability is running out after this month and money is going to be really tight now and plus I joined the gym close to the house.

So I have made the decision to stop formal PT and just start working on it myself. Got some new gentle exercises to help my straightening from the kind kneesrus too. I sent her email today, and we will see what she says. Hugs!
 
Gail, You might be able to enlist your hubby or a friend to help you with some of the stretches. I think Debbie had posted a picture awhile back of her foot in a strap and then the strap was over the door, or somethng like that. I remember her saying it gave her a good stretch. You can show them how to do some of the things, sort of like partners yoga! I find that having someone help with stretches can sometimes be very effective because you can be very passive and relax, like when they rest your leg on their shoulder and push towards you. I always like that one as I just get to lie there and as long as someone doesn't push too hard, it feels really good. Maybe you can find a TKR buddy out by you? Wish I was nearby I would come and help!
 
Lisa my hubby is very athletic and has been a good PT buddy. He has been doing deep massages on my knees the past few days and helping me to stretch some and straighten out my leg. I was hoping to go today, but the weather is horrendous, and there is lots of flooding in the area. So I am sure between him and I, I can work this leg on my terms and with less pain. Hugs!
 
Well I heard back from my therapist, and she is okay with me stopping formal PT and working on it on my own. She even said time is a great healer and if I keep up with my stretches I will gain even more ROM. She is going to contact the head PT and if he agrees to DC my PT, I am good to go. Now time to go do some exercises. Its kinda nice when you are feeling poopy (literally), its nice to work out of the comfort of your own home. If this rain lets up, might run to the gym and do the bike and treadmill for a bit. Yah! Wish me luck!! Hugs! :yes!:
 
Well I made the mistake of using my weights with my PT stretches. I have to stop that, the next day pain is not worth it, and I feel more swollen from it. I think I can do just as well without the weights. jmo
 
Oh goodness I forgot the best news. I made myself go down stairs normally yesterday. Did it a few times too! I have decided I would start making myself go up and down stairs normal to help with my ROM. I couldn't do it this morning though, still too sore from using the light weights in my stretches yesterday. But will make a effort to do it normally all the time. Hugs!
 
Gail, on your own now, kind of scary, I know it will be for me when I finish my last therapy session at the end of this month. Time to fly out of the nest, so to speak. We can do this.
 
Lisa my hubby is very athletic and has been a good PT buddy. He has been doing deep massages on my knees the past few days ....

Do you loan him out? He sounds like a keeper!

I think you'll do beautifully on your own -- You seem to really actively manage your health, from Crohn's to the TKR, and you're already researching and expanding your repertoire of exercises. And hurrah on the stairs, that's a wonderful milestone!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Yes, ma'am, you surely can do PT on your own and continue to improve and get better and better. [Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side And climbing those stairs will do wonders for quads and hamstrings. You've done do well in spite of all the other problems you've had to deal with during this recovery. My hat's off to you.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
.
 
Gail, I feel so bad for you and your tummy issues. I have had a stomach bug the last few days, and I can't imagine feeling that way all the time. My insurance ran out on PT, and I can say that I am still making progress on my own just fine. It is slow progress, but progress none the less. I bet you will do fine. I actually find that I gain more bend doing it myself, because I am not worrying about strength exercises yet like the PT did. I figure strength will come after helping.

Hang in there!
 
Hi Gail, Just thinking of you and wondering how you are feeling this weekend?
 
Feeling a bit less sore today than I did yesterday. I had to see my internist, but sometimes I wonder why I bother. Have had diarrhea the past 6 mos. I do not have Cdiff, I know it, and thats the only thing they throw out there. I know what folks go thru with Cdiff, and they poop 20+ times a day, I am only going about 8 times and it doesnt have that distinctive smell. I really feel like Crohns is misbehaving, but no one wants to look closer at that. Ugh!

Feeling a little blue today, becuz I got another denial on my Social Security Disability. So now I have to wait till I go to a hearing, and no telling how long thats going to take. I have about 2-3 weeks left of state disability then I will have received the maximum 1 year of benefits, and after that $0 coming in. Have savings and my 401k, so will be okay for a bit, but hope this doesn't take too long. Scary times. Hugs!
 
Gail, I am sorry you are feeling down. I am sure you know much more than I about the whole social security disability thing and I know you said you had a lawyer but I just wanted to pass this along. I have a friend whose husband had to go on disability because he has emphysema and could no longer work and he was having issues getting the social security disability. They hired that law firm that always advertises on TV, Binder and Binder, and she said other than some preliminary paperwork, they took care of everything, it did not take very long and it did not cost very much. Just wanted to mention that, in case it would help. I hope your Crohn's starts behaving a little better. :kittykiss: :puppysmooze:
 
I have a disability lawyer. They are all only allowed to take so much of your award. Mine is sure I will get it, I will just have to go to the hearing to do it. So its more hurry up and wait.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
I, too, am sorry about your being denied for disability again. Don't know who your lawyer is, could be a friend for all I know, but the longer it takes for your disability to come through, the more money the lawyer gets. You might want to consider making a change. JMHO. [Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
I am not really sure I can at this point. I think if I had to go to another lawyer, I would end up having to start over, can't afford that. I do know he makes more money the longer he takes. But he has no control over the SSDI people, so we just have to go to court and fight it out. He is sure I will get it though.
 
I'm sorry. It was just a thought. Sorry it takes so long.
 
No worries my recoverybuddy Lisa! It is just a long wait. My sister had a stroke and is having a really hard time right now, and she is having a similar battle. Whats sad in her case, is she doesn't have the savings or 401k like I do. She and I will get it,its just going to be in the governments time, not ours. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom