TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get you! When I worked I was always having to take rain checks for lunch with the girls, cuz my stupid guts would act up! I think a few would get kinda mad and would make me feel bad, but those days are over! I hope you end up having a good time and your knee behaves! I would have just bought some cookies too! LOL
 
I can believe how much physio you have compared to us in the UK. I last saw my physio for ten minutes on the 26th October no exercises just measured my ROM and extension, and gave me another appt for December 20th. So its left up to me to keep up with the exercises at home. My ROM wasnt that good just 90 at 6 weeks so really physio is important at this stage.
 
omg I feel so much like Elanor discribed - I hate talking to anyone because all I can say is that for 2 months I have been hurting, icing, trying to exercise, and well, pretty much that's it! lol pathetic! I have to work a little harder on the positive angle! :dancy:
 
Seeing the ortho doc today. I hope he is still pleased with my progress. Why do I get so anxious everytime I am going to see him? He is a great guy, I just don't get the anxiety it causes. Geesh! Wish me luck!
I am surprised to read how many appts people have with their OS..I had one at 3 weeks and he said he didn't need to see me for a year - but if I wanted to see him before that to call for an appt. Is this really unusual? yikes
 
Micha,
I saw mine at 2 weeks and he said to see him at 6 weeks if my ROM was not at 100 but if I felt ok then I could wait until 6 months.
 
Shubbles - how do you know what your rom is - who measures or how do you measure? Thanks!
 
My PT measures it each week or whenever I ask him to. He uses a compass like tool that measures it for me. Do you use PT? It looks like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
I remember that kind of measurement tool the first few days - i had pt for 8 visits but i don't have insurance so i've been on my own since week 3 - hmmm - dang! i'd just like to know but guess it's not what matters so much as just trying to get as much rom as possible. thanks!
 
I never thought to look there - so far no luck - anyone know what the app is called or what to say in search? ROM measurement tool isn't bringing up anything yet. There is one app for free but I honestly can't figure out how to use it...not a computer or android phone genius! lol Thanks Shubbles!
 
In th App Store search for goniometer and there will be several for Iphone but not Ipad.
 
I am surprised to read how many appts people have with their OS..I had one at 3 weeks and he said he didn't need to see me for a year - but if I wanted to see him before that to call for an appt. Is this really unusual? yikes
micha I think it depends to some extent upon whether you had complications and/or were a high risk. I was a high risk surgery, due to my weight, so I saw him about a week after my surgery as they were worried about a clot and so I also had an ultrasound, then at 10 days to take the staples out, then at 6 weeks for an xray and now I go again at 14 weeks coming up. I don't know what will happen after that. I also think some docs just like to see you more and some do less.
 
I saw my OS after each surgery, then saw his PA at 6 weeks, and saw him at 3 months and was discharged for a year---will see him again next month when I'm sure he'll sign off on me. He also did my hubby's knees the end of September. He has more issues than I do---so he has seen him twice already since surgery and will see him again this month--and may schedule him again to come in in another 3 months.
 
I saw my ortho at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks and then I will see him again when I am 6 mos along. I had a few setbacks so thats why I had the 9 and 12 week visits. Hugs!
 
Well hubby and I went around our area to look for an inexpensive gym I can go to on non PT days to ride the recumbent bike and do a few other exercises. We found one and so inexpensive, I think its like $20 mos. Its just a little gym but has all the equipment I wanted. i.e. recumbent bike and treadmills. You know those eliptical machines, can we do those now? I am 3 mos out. Hugs all!
 
Gail, That is great about the gym. Let me tell you what my PT said about the elliptical. She said I could use it, but it has a tendency to make your calves tighten, and since I was already having trouble with my extension, then I would have to spend extra time stretching. Since I already feel like I spend a lot of time stretching I decided to wait on using that machine. I was rather bummed as I can get a good workout on it without stressing my other knee much, but I think I will just wait a few months until my extension is better.
 
Thanks for letting me know that Lisa. Since I am having issues with my straightening too, I will avoid it for now. But I can do the bike and the treadmill! I am bound and determined to prove my OS wrong! LOL
 
You will Gail! Your other knee should love the recumbent too. Mind does, although I have started riding the upright for a little too. It used to bother the knee where I tore the meniscus but it had been doing OK. Don't be discouraged if the treadmill is hard. I got on it a couple of weeks ago and my gait was still so unsteady that I could not walk at a steady pace, even really slowly. So I decided that for awhile, until my rhythm was better, I would just walk outside. In some ways I would rather walk on the treadmill as the non-TKR knee is a little more comfortable on it, but until I can walk better I think I do better outside. Let me know how it goes!
 
I ride the recumbent for 10 minutes before every PT session. I LOVE IT!! Told my hubby that I will ride it longer than 10 min though. I just loosens me up so much. Hmmm....interesting on the treadmill. I will give it a shot and see how I do, if I feel unsteady, I will put it off for awhile too. Thanks for letting me know that, it lets me know what to watch out for. Hugs!
 
I love the recumbent too! I listen to my music and I ride a bike that is right by the window and so if it is sunny it is in the sun, and I just get all warm and relaxed, and the time just goes by. I can move the seat back and forth so can gradually make the knee bend more as she gets more loose. I used to like the treadmill too, and I used to love to walk and hike. I hope I will eventually be able to again. I could not walk very well on the treadmill before the surgery so that may also be playing a role in my case too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom