TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outrageous! One can only hope he was just trying to scare you into working harder which, as we all know, is not the way to do it! Don't you dare agree to such a drastic option until you are at least a year out. As a matter of interest, do you know what your ROM is at the moment?
 
Gail Im so sorry you had such a bad time with your OS. That dosent make any sense at all. Its bad enough for people with just TKR but you have other health issues. Is he even taking them into consideration. Hope you are OK. Just keep up with the exercises best you can and hopefully that ROM will improve. Take Care.
 
WOW WOW, Gail. Indeed I am no way an expert but I would say there's no way you need a revision!! No!! No!! No!! How can he think that?! Words fail me! Your ROM is fine considering all you have had to deal with and the time since your TKR. I know will keep increasing your ROM. Have faith, hang on in there, my friend, but what a worry for you all the same.
 
Gail, I am sad that you got such awful news from you OS. I am about as far along as you are post op. Just saw my OS this past Monday and he told me to keep working on my ROM which from the way you talk, I am about where you are. He also told me I was doing good and he didn't see any need for MUA, it just takes time! Don't you dare do anything yet!! I will be praying for you and I want you to keep doing what you've been doing cause I think you will do just fine!! Love you! Gilda
 
Thank you all for your support. And no worries, I am not going to do any of that. I am surgeryed out, and not going to do even a MUA at this point. Josephine I was at 103 on my bend lasttime, and 12 on my straightening. I have gotten as high as 105. I have about an hour ride in the car getting to PT, so as you can imagine I am quite stiff when I get to my PT sessions. And that is riding with a ice pack on my knee till I get there, and of course you can't elevate and drive a car:). Josephine, I just had one other question. When I go to my therapy session, the next day I am in miserable, feel like I was beaten by a bat. I am in lots of pain and sore. I do have fibromyalgia too, lucky me! But should I still be doing my home PT on those days I feel so beat up? Or should I just take a days break. What is the Bonesmart mantra on that. Thanks for your thoughts!

I do not think he was trying to scare me, I think he was serious. I won't lie I was upset when I left. I got so anxious, I was running back and forth to the bathroom just waiting to pick up my new prescription. But then I got kinda mad and couldn't wait to get home and post a quick message to you all. Thank God for Bonesmart and all that I have learned here. Hugs!
 
Gail, I'm with everyone else! Maybe your OS is looking at a very expensive vacation he's about to take and needs extra money for the trip!:skep: In any case I don't think he's give you a fair shake! Shame on him! Stay strong my friend, because I know with all you've been through, you can beat this too!:friends:
 
Gail, I had the same thought as Jacky, that a revision so soon after TKR, was just a lot of bucks in his pocket. There are many more people who know tons more than me about why one has a revision in the first place, but lack of ROM just does not make much sense to me, especially since yours is not that bad! Just my two cents. I think just keep on trucking the way you are!
 
Know what Jacky, I was thinking the same thing about more money for the OS...but just didn't say it! Sometimes I even wonder about the PT...going to them 2/3 times or more a week...Could it possibly be??????....hmmm.......We could possibly do all we needed at home once we knew how....something to think about:umm:
 
I was having an issue doing exercises at home the same days as PT so we discussed it and decided that I would do the home exercises on the days I didn't have PT and then just do the PT on the other days. It seems to have helped me quite a bit. Maybe you should try that and see how it goes.
 
Marina blue I don't quite agree with you about PT. It is easy to lose form when you are doing the exercises and you will also naturally favor the knee that hurts so you won't do equal weight bearing, So the PTs or PT aides provide a second set of eyes and can tell you if you are losing your form or if you are not doing the exercise properly. To me, PT is like taking lessons, music, riding, swimming, whatever, they are there to correct you when you do it wrong and push you because we do not always push ourselves. Now at some point, you probably can go on your own, although I work with a personal trainer on a regular basis just for the reason I stated, he watches my form and makes sure I am doing things correctly so I don't get injured and I develop strength equally on both sides.
 
Gail, I am agreeing too, don't even think about a revision. I can't remember, have you had a chance to go to a pool for therapy? I have only been going for a week and my therapist thinks it is helping me. I am feeling better and it just feels good to be in there. It doesn't have to be a pool at a gym, do you live near a hotel that has a pool? That is what I am doing. Only cost me $27 a month to use it any day but Saturday.
 
Wow Debbie...I sure am glad you told us about going to a hotel pool. I didn't know they would let you do that. Awsome!
And Lisa, thank you for your input to what I said. I don't think I can afford a personal trainer, (wish I could), but guess you're right about losing form if doing it on your own...Thanks! I'm so glad we have this forum and our wonderful friends to give us advice!!...Love you all! Gilda
 
Guilda, I hope you have some local hotels that you can check if they allow that. We have certain hours, but really it is almost any time I want to go. From 7 in the morning until 11 at night, not until noon on Sundays, and like I said, no Saturdays. But I think they offer a pretty good deal. Let us know if you find out anything in your area.
 
Josephine, I just had one other question. When I go to my therapy session, the next day I am in miserable, feel like I was beaten by a bat. I am in lots of pain and sore. I do have fibromyalgia too, lucky me! But should I still be doing my home PT on those days I feel so beat up? Or should I just take a day's break. What is the Bonesmart mantra on that.
Certainly take the day off. Just keep up doing gentle heel slides and walking about the house for necessary things. Nothing too much but not nothing at all.
I do not think he was trying to scare me, I think he was serious.
But suggesting a revision after so short a period is preposterous. If he was serious then he would 'seriously' lose credibility in my eyes.
 
Marina blue Gilda, one thing you might try is to get a workout buddy so you can spot each other's form. The two of you could split the cost of a few sessions with a personal trainer to get you started and then you go on your own from there and just workout together and watch each other to make sure you do things correctly. Then maybe every 3-4 months you can do a follow-up session with your trainer just to make sure you are on track and to change your program. I work with a trainer regularly because I like to and it motivates me, but it is not a weekly necessity. And like Debbie said, the local hotels here let you come swim and we also have a Y and the county has rec facilities both of which are pretty inexpensive as I understand it.
 
Thanks Lisa, that's a good idea! Along with Debbie's idea of using a hotel pool, you girls are giving me some good pointers!!

What would I do without you girls to help me along on this journey we are going through?.... Love ya'll...Gilda
 
Thanks again all! And Josephine thank you for your response to my PT question. I am going to make it lighter on my home days after PT. I haven't been doing much on those bad days after PT, becuz quite honestly I was hurting too much. Shubbles, I think I will start taking the day after off too. ElanorG, I sat with my knee elevated on a pillow yesterday while I was on the computer, instead of sitting as I had been. Guess what less swelling and stiffness. I went to PT yesterday and easily got to 105, my extension still is off, but better. So no more sitting so long! You were right!!

I had one on one PT yesterday instead of the knee class and did really well. She and I have agreed that we are just going to keep at it for a least the next month. Even after I eventually finish PT at the facility, I will continue working on it at home. I am sure I will be pleased with myself at 6 months, and can just tell the doc to fluff off with his revision! So there! LOL

Also, going to check out a gym near us so I can go there and ride the recumbent bike and doing some mild exercises too. I will have to check the hotels around here to see if there are pools, but not thinking of any at the moment. Hugs!
 
Gail, that is so great! One on one PT may be just what you need as she can target things better than in the class. I am so glad you posted as I was thinking about you this morning. I have been baking cookies for my cookie exchange this afternoon and it has been one disaster after another. They took way longer to put together than planned and then they overflowed in the oven and I had an oven fire! I opened the door and the cookie sheet I had underneath the pan was on fire. They are bar cookies that need to be cut so I am hoping they cool before I have to leave. I am pooped. I should have said I was just not up to this. Anyway, you sound in better spirits and I am glad. Good luck with finding a club. If you have a Y or county rec center near you they might have them too. Have a great weekend!
 
Well I still like doing the class at PT, but I will be doing one on one a few times over the next month becuz of other appts. Sorry about the cookies, hope they cool in time. And see I told you to take a rain check:) Hugs you~!
 
Gail, yes you said that and you were right! Sometimes I am the most stubborn and iron-willed person I know. I should have just gone to a bakery and bought some cookies. At least then I could go and have some fun without having done all the baking. But I just called my ride and she is going to come over a little later to give them a little more time to cool. I am hoping another 15 minutes and they will be set enough to cut and not fall apart. I guess if they fall apart I will just go to the party to see everyone and not take any cookies. Oh well, I have not had much fun lately or done much social stuff. Everytime anyone asks me whats new? I feel like I am the most boring person around. All I do is take care of my knee, exercise, work and rest. Who wants to hear about that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom