TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nanners I hope your appt with your gastro went well and he can provide some additional support for you. You are one plucky lady and give me much to think about as I read your posts. I think you need to remember to pat yourself on the back from time to time for moving forward through the challenges of each day!
 
Well had my one on one PT yesterday. She had me ride the recumbent for about 6-7 minutes and then had me walk on the treadmill, then we did a few exercises working on my extension. I didn't measure well this time, and I am sure it was becuz of the walking on the treadmill. Everytime I walk I always swell up pretty quickly. But I will admit I enjoyed it. But think I will save those treadmill walks for days I don't have PT. My measurements at the end of PT was 100 bend and 13 extension. So wasn't pleased yesterday with my progress.

I also finally saw my GI yesterday. He said he believes I am not flaring with my Crohns, but becuz the TKR surgery is so traumatic, he believes my body is just reacting to the all the pain and recovery. He said you (meaning me)are a special case, you have alot more challenges going on than the normal guy, so this would be more of a challenge for me. He wants to run some more bloodtests in another month or so and see how I am doing.

Don't know about any of you guys, but one thing is just killing me and that is my hip on my surgical leg side. I do have Fibromyalgia, and think the weights are really kickin the fibro into full up flare mode. Its starting to affect my sleep. Was thinking this morning that I need to start taking a pain med in the middle of the night when I wake up. I was so miserable this morning and in pain, that I almost felt nauseous from the pain. Using some moist heat this morning to try to relax it some. Anyone else having lots of hip or sciatic pain? This is one of those times I wish I could use anti inflammatories. Ouchy!
 
wow you sure have some challenges going on but have a good attitude for sure...this recovery is something else ...i have had many surgeries in my life but nothing like this for getting better....yes i have the hip issue also on surgical side...but not sure first of all i have very bony hips trust me im not skinny by any means but for some reason there is nothing on my hips but skin...lol its all in my gut...oh well thats another story...i also was in a serious car accident about 3 yrs ago and got bursitis in that hip from the seat belt injuries so that could be it also...but it worse then ever and interfers with sleep big time... Nanners just wondering when did you have your surgery..i had mine Oct 1...i find that when i get up in the morning i can bend my leg so amazing but after being up and ab out swell so much i cant...drives me nuts...i have a hard time staying down especially this time of year....anyway you take care keep your chin up and i will be praying for your recovery....
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Gail, stop with the weights, already yet! I never used any weights with my PT. Of course, I didn't do out patient PT 'cause I really didn't think I needed it. Just living was enough exercise for me. But what good does it do you to end up with other aches and pains from your PT. Please cut back and give your poor body a break.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
Judy I know you are right, but the weights are really whats helping me get better ROM. Its not alot of weight, just like 5lbs. But sometimes I wonder if PT is doing good for me or not. I wonder if she says well its as far as I can take you, and then without the PT is when I really start getting better ROM. I notice when she measures me for either bend or straightening that I really feel alot of it in my hip.

Patty I am on the thinner side and have really bony hips too. And its the side I primarily sleep on. When I try to take the weight off and turn over on my right side, then becuz of the stupid Crohns, I get sick to my stomach. Don't know whats up with that??? I put a pillow between my legs and that helps some, but I still really hurt.

I am so confused becuz Judy is right the weights do irritate, but in the same hand help the ROM. I just want to get a little bit more ROM and think I could live easily with lower numbers. But also wonder, if the PT is just irritating things more than helping and will find when the outpatient PT is done, if I won't do better on my own. Arrgghhh the confusion! :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Gail, you really can improve your ROM yourself. All it would take is doing squats and those stretches that let gravity pull the knee down. You could do 10 to 10 repetitions 2 or 3 times a day every day and get there on your own---and no weights. It's like me just making myself go up and down steps normally several times every day---and it's getting easier and more comfortable all the time.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
Gail my doctor told me not to do all the stuff the Pt that came to my house told me to do he told work on straightening the leg and doing the slides..and thats all...so im not doing to bad..but not sure if im where i should be i go on the 19th...lol wheni did all the stuff the pt had me doing i suffered so bad...Judy i do the gravity pull ones too they do help...even though i was told by surgeon not to...you ladies have a great day...
 
My bend is okay for "me", but my straightening is not doing well at all. It goes backwards very easily. And thats when I use the light weights. Its kinda wierd I only use the weights on two exercises, and I get this. I only have this month probably left in outpatient PT.

Judy, do you think I could get the same results on my extension without the weights? I hang my legs off the bed with light weights at home too, but not on the day after I have gone to PT. Thoughts? And thanks by the way!
 
Gail, what do you mean by "it goes backwards very easily"? And, yes, I think you can increase extension without weights. I used to just sit in a chair and prop my heels on a table with a cushion on it that was higher than the chair---I could only do that for a couple of minutes to begin with and gradually added to the time and got up to 15 to 20 minutes. That helped me with my extension. I do not like lying on the bed on my tummy with my legs hanging off. I can never get my boobs to feel comfortable. It just takes time----I am still working on flexion 13 months out. I am just not in a hurry--and I refuse to make myself suffer to get there sooner rather than later.
 
Nanners, one thought the Dr. I saw yesterday had aside from possibly having fibromalygia, arthritis and bursitis is that my knee was in such rough shape prior to surgery that now that it's fixed my lower back and hip muscles and other supportive soft tissues are now cranky because as the knee has healed I've had to learn how to walk a whole new way and that hopefully some PT with ultrasound, massage, and exercises will help calm some of it down. Perhaps your progress with your knee is making your hip cranky because its learning a new way to walk? Maybe you too might benefit from some PT - might be worth asking your current PT? Hugs to you!
 
What I mean is for example, on Tuesday I got to 105 on my bend and 11 on my extension. Then on Thursday, she switched up my PT becuz it was one on one, and I could only get my bend to 100 and the first measurement on my straightening was 20 and then she got it to 14. Can you see how my extension keeps bouncing around? I was having it between 11-13, then it went all the way back to twenty. I have no issues laying on my stomach, I don't have boobs! LOL And I can really feel the stretch when I do this with light weights. Hope that makes sense:)
 
Tuli that could be it too. But for me I lean more on the weights. When I use weights I always feel beat up the next day, becuz of the fibro. Hugs!
 
Gail, Finally starting to catch up your thread. I also have the issues with my extension. I do put a weight on my thigh with my leg out on a chair, but I don't lie on my stomach with the weight on my ankle anymore because it hurts my boobs! I do think the weight has helped alot and it took a very long time to work up to 10-15 minutes and with being back to work I have backslid because all the sitting just tightens up my hamstrings. I agree with Judy that I think you can probably reach the extension without the weight. I think the key is consistency and frequency, both of which I find very hard to do at work as when I put my leg up on a chair I can't type on the keyboard. I think, at least for me, that I need to do it a whole lot more than I really want to be doing it and as my walking improves I can really tell if that leg is tight as the walking worsens.

It is possible that your hip pain and extension issues are interconnected. In my case, my pelvis was both horizontally out of alignment and rotated forward on one side before TKR. I have noticed since the knee replacement that my pelvis is now straight and no longer rotated, but my muscles, tendons and ligaments have not all caught up with that change yet. I have arthritis in both hips, but worse in the right, so when I walk, if I fatigue or my legs are too tight, or my I am not correct in my posture, my right hip starts to hurt, and both my hip flexors are still so weak and tight that they often seize up, particularly if my legs are tight. I am learning that before i take my short walks outside that I do some stretching right beforehand and that helps and sometimes I even have to stop and stretch some more or wait for the hip flexors to relax a little. When I walk I feel like I am practicing walking with a book on my head, as I need to stay straight and upright and even and this is trying to break a whole ton of bad walking habits that have developed over the last 8 years. I think this is the hardest thing I have ever done, physically, is relearning how to walk and developing the stamina and ability to walk correctly. So the pain you may have in your hip may be because you are still getting realigned. I suspect the fibro slows down the relaxing of your muscles, tendons and ligaments and that it may take additional time. Also, when you had those different measurements at PT were they different times of the day and had you done different activities prior to PT? I mention that because my extension was always worse on the days I went to PT directly from work, rather than from home.

But it sounds like some things are really improving though! You are riding the bike which is awesome and going shopping! Have you ever done any gentle yoga? I took a class a few years ago and they had a series of exercises that you could run through and I dug that out and am starting to go through some of them. My legs have been tight for a long time now as the slight bend in the knee that I would maintain all the time protected my knees from some of the pain when I was standing, and now that is going away, so I am trying to give my body some gentle nudges that she can start to relax and does not need to tense up against the pain in the knee that is no longer happening! Big hug to you! :kittykiss:
 
Nope I go to PT the same time. If its one on one, the appt is at 2 pm, if its the knee class its at 2:30 pm. I think it has a lot to do with the fibro. It gets irritated very easily and gives me that beat up feeling. Hugs!
 
Oh well, same time then you are right it is probably the fibro. I am sorry. I wish it was better for you. :kittykiss:
 
Hate feeling the blues! Three months out and they still attack. Guess just feeling upset the knee is not behaving as it should at this point.

Hubby and I went out today and I was able to walk around with little to no problems, but still a battle with my straightening. Any longtimers have issues with their extension this far out (3 mos) and finally get it to improve at a later time? Can you share your story? Please!!
 
im 9 weeks and i still get the blues drives me nuts...sorry about the straightning i dont have that issue i just need to bend it better i think...lol....feel better...you have a lot to deal with ...
 
Are there any longtimers who had issues with their extension (straightening) and were able to later improve it? I am 3 months out and I still have lots of straightening issues (stuck between 12-14). Just wondering if that too comes within time.

I have read of others saying how their bend improved by the time they reached 1 year out. And read over and over again never too late to get ROM. Is it the same with extension? Thanks!
 
Nanners, what does your surgeon think? You could have some scar tissue behind the knee that is keeping it from extending. Maybe he could suggest something for you.
 
Toni, my doc was already talking about a revision, which I think is BS at this point.

Still looking for answers from any longtimers. Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom