TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Kathy! I really needed to hear that. I feel like I am stuck at the moment, but know that alot of that is my blues sneaking in. Plus I have the OS appt this week, and I get nervous each time I go in to see him. Usually all my worries are for naught, but I still worry! I am satisfied with where my bend is going, but worry about the straightening. Oh well, we will see how it goes. Thanks for the support as always! Hugs!
 
Gail, we all get that way where we feel sorry for ourselves. When I catch myself feeling that way, I think of all the people that are struggle way worse then me, not even knee wise, but health and happiness wise. People that are in the last stages of cancer, people out east that lost their homes and loved ones. Someone is always worse off then us. Then I tell myself to buck up. So much of how we feel is all in our attitude. If we can keep our attitude in check we will feel better. Not that you always have to have a happy face on either. A good cry is good for the soul. We can do this, yes we can.
 
Curious how many of you feel like you have been beat up the day after PT? My PT is very gentle, and always cautious about not hurting me. Not sure if its my Fibromyalgia making things worse or what, but I can't do much the next day. My hips and low back just ache. And my walking is more limping than anything. And I have to wait until later in the day to even attempt any home PT (sometimes I just have to skip it). I keep thinking of Roy's and the other mods reminders, if it makes you feel worse the next day, don't do it.

But whether home PT or going to PT, I am always so achey and in pain the next day. And I can tell you the home PT is even more gentle than the professional PT sessions. So what do I do, do the necessary PT and just suffer thru the consequences? Thats what wears me out the most, all the pain afterwards! And yes I still take my pain meds, I would be lost without them. I wish I could take meds like Advil or Aleve, but sadly I can't. Hugs!
 
im 8 weeks out and i find that too if i go out and im walking alot like last frid Black Frid...lol that was a mistake...i was pretty much out of it most of the weekend i also wish i could take aleeve or advil but i do find 2 xtra strenght tylenol helps a bit
but putting it up and resting seems to be the best solution as hard as that is...lol...you take care...
 
Hi Nanners, I have been following your progress (or sometimes, lack of) and wanted to tell you from my experience.... YES it will get better. I had RTKR April 10 and boy-oh-boy what a ride! Stomach issues and all! After my 12 in-home PT visits I quit! I did the exercises that didn't hurt on a day to day basis. Some days I did NONE! If it hurt I did not do it! Once I could take a long soaking bath I actually did my heel slides and leg lifts in the bathtub. How divine! Bubbles and all! I slowly but surely built leg muscles I have not had in a long time! As so many on here have said....you can only control the healing by not over doing. You can not speed it up! Deep breaths and HUGS!
 
pclane 65 how do you do getting in and out of the tub it scares me to death i couldnt have a bath before...i was praying i would be able to now..havent tried yet
 
Patty thank you for your response. Thats the way I feel, why should I being doing this PT and just wind up feeling worse afterwards. Have a OS appt this week and will discuss it more with him. Also, I so wish I had a bathtub, we only have showers in our house. Sigh!
 
I was about 8 weeks out from surgery when I got up the nerve to try the bubble bath. I sat on the side of the tub and slowly lowered myself in using my left (non surgical) leg for stability. It worked! Getting out I used my arms for stability and walked my feet up under me until I could stand! I live alone so there was no one to help if I got into trouble so I put my cell nearby. I think the thought of having to call the rescue squad to get me out of there gave me the strength to do it! I am not suggesting you do anything foolish but it has worked for me!
 
I so wish we had bathtubs where we live, it sounds so devine to just sit in a hot tub! Sure would help all my acheys too! LOL
 
Nanners, My granddaughter (19 years old) was with me at my OS appt. The Doc asked if I was still doing PT. I kinda grunted and smiled. After we left Kristina said "grandmama did you just lie to the doctor?" Of course not...I didn't actually answer and he wasn't really listening :)
 
Patti hahahahaha.......Good Answer!! I see the OS tomorrow, I so want to tell him I don't want to do PT, but we all know how well that would go over! LOL
 
Seeing the ortho doc today. I hope he is still pleased with my progress. Why do I get so anxious everytime I am going to see him? He is a great guy, I just don't get the anxiety it causes. Geesh! Wish me luck!
 
Gail, I know what you mean about getting anxious when going to the doctors. It happens to me everytime, and my BP rises so badly that they get so scared and don't want to let me out of the office. I want to scream, let me out, you're why it's up that high to begin with. I don't know, it must be something left over from my childhood or something! Too deep for me to dig into to that at this stage I guess!

I hope your checkup goes well my friend!:friends:
 
Jacky I see so many docs and never get antsy like this before seeing any of them. But the seeing the ortho and I am a bundle of nerves. I guess its becuz I feel like I have to be at this number or that number by a certain time. He doesn't make me feel like that, its just me making it a bigger deal than it is. I think if he is happy with me at this point, I will relax a little. I worry the most about my extension. I am still at about 12! Ugh!
 
Patti that story of getting out of the bathtub is great! I actually decided to dust some shelves this past weekend and without thinking got down on the floor to do the bottom one, I kept spreading my legs further apart until I plopped down on my hip and then realized "What did I just do!!" well might as dust while I am here... then I had to call my husband to come assist me up... that was a chore since I have both knees.. I picked the "stronger' one and had him give me a pillow to kneel on while the other was out stretched and then hoisted myself up again... whew... not do that again for awhile!

Gail I understand the anxiety surrounding seeing your OS but you know you are the one that makes the decision about your body, he can suggest alternatives and all but you don't have to do them hon... you have had a rough recovery so far with everything else deciding to invite themselves to the party, I think you have been making good progress... chin up buddy! :flwrysmile:
 
Gail... Good Luck and let us know how you get on. x x

Roxie That was a funny story about you trying to get up. You just described the way I get out of the bath.
 
Okay TKR family I just got home from seeing my Ortho. Not so sure I like him as much as I thought! Why? He said to come back in 3 months, if my ROM has not improved we can discuss a revision. Wait, wait, wait!! What about a manipulation? Well he said it was past time for that. How can that be, I am only 13 weeks out as of today and I have seen folks having them at 6 mos. I am to continue with PT till she thinks I have either met the goals or she thinks she can no longer help.

Well I am sure I can get more ROM if I continue PT and work a bit more on my home PT. I will refuse a revision as I think within the next 3 mos I can get to where "I" am comfortable. I mean look how far I have come the first 3 months and that was with lots of additional side health issues. I still have swelling and my knee is still hot, which he said I still have inflammation in the knee. Of course I do, thats why I still swell alot.

Josephine what do you think about what he said? I am abit ticked off about it. Do you think I am right to feel that way? Hugs all!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Hi! Nanners! Well, I'd be ticked with my OS too if he said something that ridiculous to me. I can't believe you'd need a revision rather than an MUA. But I suggest you do as you stated---just keep doing the necessary exercises and it will come. I am just now being able to go down stairs foot over foot like an adult with just minor discomfort and I'm 13 months post op. So just give it time---another 3 months can make a world of difference. Take care.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom