TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow went into PT yesterday and my knee was really swollen and in a bad mood, and was not expecting to have a decent ROM, but even with all the swelling, I still got 101. Pretty good, huh? I guess all that icing I did beforehand on the car ride in, must have helped. LOL
 
Happy Thanksgiving all! I am cooking today, but doing it the lazy way by just cooking the turkey in the crock pot. Its just hubby and I, but I do hope he does the dishes:) Hugs!
 
Happy Thanksgiving Gail. never made turkey in a crock pot. How big of a turkey, or did you just do a turkey breast? I always put mine in an oven roasting bag. Turns out pretty good.
 
It was only a turkey breast! No need to make a whole turkey for just two of us. And it turned out delicious!
 
Hopefully you still have some leftovers. Thanks for the response on my thread and best wishes on turning that stiffness to smoothness and swelling closer to normalcy.
 
I think some nerves must be waking up, I had some sharp spasms in the left side of my knee yesterday. Ouchy!
 
Decided to go walk around the swapmeet yesterday. I made it about 3/4's of the way, then told Hubby I can't do any more and back to the truck we went. Took my pain meds with lunch and the rest of the day wasn't too bad. But I sure am miserable today! So swollen, stiff and sore.

I see others walking about no problem, I would think at 12 weeks I should be able to do some walking without paying for it the next day. I look forward to when I am like 6 mos out, hopefully by then I will be happy. Geesh!
 
Yesterday I had some good news, at least for me! I was able to walk up the stairs normally!! I have done it before, but becuz my stairs are kinda tall, it was just too uncomfortable. But gave it another go yesterday, and up I went no problem!! Nice to have some positive for once. So was feeling pretty happy about that.

I am at 12 weeks right now, it will be 3 mos on the 30th. I have to be honest, I am not where I wanted to be at this point. I know everyone heals at their own rate, but I get blue when I read about folks who are like 6-8 weeks out, and doing so well. And here I am so far out and still struggling. I didn't expect to be perfect, but I still did expect to be doing better at this point. Still on strong pain meds, still limping, still can't walk alot without suffering for it, and still swelling and stiff! Sorry for the whining. :sigh:
 
I have to be honest, I am not where I wanted to be at this point. I know everyone heals at their own rate, but I get blue when I read about folks who are like 6-8 weeks out, and doing so well. And here I am so far out and still struggling. I didn't expect to be perfect, but I still did expect to be doing better at this point.

I know how you feel! I am only at 4 weeks so far but my ROM worries me. There are so many folks that have wonderful ROM at this point and I am struggling to get past 70 right now. My pain level isn't terrible, most of the time, but I still feel like I should be much farther along in this than I am right now. I have just recently gone to the cane from the walker and I read that some people are off of all "helpers" at 4 weeks. HOWEVER, from all the threads I have read, it seems that everyone is different. Some have great ROM some not so much; some have no pain, some have a ton; some cry daily, some don't have any emotional issues; some can walk a mile and some can barely walk to the bathroom. I guess, as long as we all end up in the same place in the end, we should just take our recovery as it comes. (Not like we have a choice!:heehee: )

I hope things start getting better for you soon! Keep your chin up! You are not alone!:friends:
 
Shelly thank you! And don't beat yourself up, you are still in the very early days. I did nothing after the first 2 weeks PT wise and didn't start PT until week 7 becuz I got a horrid case of Gastritis that knocked me down for a month. I went in there at 7 weeks measuring 85 and within 2 weeks made it to 100. Its a REALLY LONG recovery, and that what gets us down. I have had multiple surgeries, but this one has been the worst. One tip, docs like to throw out the MUA threat, don't even think about it until you have given PT a good try. My OS mentioned it at my 6 week check, and I told him no, let me work on it a bit. If I am not happy where I am at say 6 mos., then I might think about it. But not at this point.

I have heard that once I get to 4 mos I will feel alot better. Looking forward to that day. Thanks for the support all, I was beginning to beleive no one was reading my posts. Hugs!
 
I enjoy your posts! Keep posting! :friends:

I already decided I won't even consider the MUA unless I hit a standstill and I can't do anything more. I had a 7 degree increase this week! I was very happy about that.
 
Nanners I am so pleased about your success with the stairs. I have managed this week also to take the stairs uaided but still one step at a time so I like reading posts like yours because you are six weeks ahead of me and its nice to see what is to come. Your physio attitude is the same as mine. No rush. Do it at our own speed and I despair at the amount of people mentioning MUA at six weeks. Surely we should left to try and improve it and of course if there is a serious problem MUA would be the answer. My MUA was 90 at five weeks not brilliant but there is still a lot of swelling but my extension was 0 so that cheered me up. I dont see my physio now until 20th December. It seems a lot more laid back here than in the states. I know youve had problems from your previous posts so you are doing well and progressing nicely now. Maybe the magic 4months will work for you too. I will be keeping an eye on your progress. Take Care
 
Nanners im 8 weeks out of a TKR and im doing pretty good but yes when i have a day that i have a lot of walking i seem to suffer for the next day or two..with swelling and pain i too feel i should be doing better but apparently im on target..i just have this need to bend my knee lol like stretching i guess...going to check out the theraputic pool at the y tomorrow ...looking forward to that..you take care i hear everyone has there own pace and allow yourself up to a year..
 
Thanks all! This surgery really takes it out of you sometimes and at those times the blues like to sneak in. Its back to PT today, why am I not excited about this? LOL

Do you guys ever get tired of something always aching? I know its becuz of my walking gait, but I swear if its not my knee hurting, something else is. Today my tailbone and hips hurt. I can't wait to not even think about my knee anymore, I am sure many feel the same. Hugs!
 
thats to funny Nanners my tailbone hurt for ever...not so much now but maybe the first 6 weeks...my hips cause me to toss and turn all nite ....but yes i am tired of hurting tired of complaining and waiting oh so patiently to feel normal again... i think also when you get to this point were its not quite as visiable people tend to think your okay now....grrrr...lol oh well i pray every day this will all be worth it...lol..have a good day
 
Gail, I always read your posts when I come on here and always eager to see how you are doing. I still say you are doing pretty good after your slow start because of your illness. Maybe you can't see it, but I can :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom