TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I made it to PT yesterday, thank you Immodium! I was talking to my therapist and she said I guess the night stiffness hangs around for a long time. Bummer!! God forbid I need to get to the bathroom quickly at night, I have to stand for a minute just to get my legs working again becuz I am such a cripple, when I first get up!

No one else showed up for our knee class, so the therapist worked hard on my straightening. I thought I would be super sore today, but actually feel okay. Knee is a bit stiff, but I think it will work itself out with more movement. I got to 103 on the bend, and 12 on the straightening. At least its going in the right direction for now. Hugs!
 
Gran... thats is good to hear... hope mine do too... I still find the occasional day that it just hits me out of nowhere a funk and just cry at the drop of a word... that usually is when I have done too much the day before and I feel helpless.. :-(

Gail - Great job on the bend, I actually worked with a different tech last week and she slowly manipulated by left to 110 and my right to 122!! I was elated... and have been really trying to push the left further under me as I sit... but I walk with no limp and they are impressed with my results so far, they just don't see me at home whining when I have to do the domestic duties... my wood floors are gonna be a mess to clean by the time I can finally give them a good mopping!
This year I didn't volunteer to host Thanksgiving at my house because I recall the hours I spent standing at the sink washing dishes and know I would try and do it again, this time I shall let the other women folk tend to them! :snork:
 
Roxie it is just gonna be hubby and I! So I got a turkey breast and am going to throw it in the slow cooker, that way I am not up on my feet all day checking the turkey.

Your lucky you don't walk with a limp. Sadly, I still do. Yesterday I walked WAY too much and am suffering for it today. Going to be a long day today as hubby is planning a day at his sisters house. Better take extra pain meds! Hope you all have a great day!
 
Sorry about your YOUCHY! I share the lovely stiffness with you. Hanging on the door frames like an old lady isn't fun. I hope your hips feel better soon!
 
Hi Gail,
Just checking in. I PROMISE that it gets better. I'm 1 month ahead of you. it is so much better.
 
Thanks Nyland!! Its so much better than it was, but still a long way to go. I look forward to what another month brings:)

Brownie I so hear you! Getting up off couch or out of bed is a real adventure isn't it? My husband yells at me even in the middle of the night "Use your cane!". LOL I just use the door frames instead. Haha... This additional joint pain is not fun though and I am still on strong pain meds, and still I hurt. Geesh!
 
Oh! I think Nyland just answered the question I asked her on her own thread. I guess that one month between 4 and 5 months out makes a big difference! Okay....we just need patience....not one of my virtues especially when hurting! Geesh is right!!!
 
Sorry to hear you are suffering when getting out of bed, Gail. But you are doing brilliantly with your ROM :thumb: It's all so swings and roundabouts, isn't it.
 
You guys don't have issues when you first get out of bed, or up after sitting awhile?? I look like I am doing the Frankenstien walk when I first get up.
 
OHH I sure do.... I get several odd looks if I am out somewhere and go to get up, with the strained look on my face and rigid walking and first thing in the morning I am defiantly a Frankenstein walker!! I noticed it has gotten a little easier but still practicing the standing up without grabbing a wall or something.. If others don't experience that I would love to hear when it started getting better for them??
 
Me too Roxie!! Its bad still for me.....especially when I get up in the middle of the night. Takes me a few minutes to make it to the bathroom. Anyone, know when this gets better? Josephine do you know how long I/we will have the stiffness and walking like Frankenstein when you first get up in the middle of the night or after sitting a long time?
 
I sat for too long on Saturday evening, even with breaks to stretch. My goodness, the first 20 or 50 steps were so hard! As you say, it was almost embarrassing, and I was trying so hard to act as if nothing were wrong. It's not usually this bad, fortunately.
 
Now Nanners, that's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string"!
 
I was kinda looking for an average time frame:) My physical therapist said a year!! I hope not!
 
Nanners,
Just my 2 cents worth here but I think I was somewhere around 6 mos when that started to get better. What I did was just refused to concentrate on it and then all of a sudden it was gone.
 
That is one of my positives I suppose, that I get out of bed just fine. Now I find that sitting here at the desk on my computer with my leg bent on the floor, doesn't give me any issues now. I sat the whole night on Saturday at our friends' house, at the dinner table - thankfully no issues. Not bragging here, but we all have positives and negatives. As you know Gail, my one big huge negative is my lack of ROM. Like I say, swings and roundabouts....
 
Oh KathyH I can get up no problem, its when I am up, I have to stop for a bit before I start walking and the first few steps are rough, then pop goes my ankle and knee, then I can go again. Its kinda like it gets stuck a bit.

Karmagirl, thank you so much! That was exactly what I was looking for, how long it lasted for someone who had had a tkr before me.

Today its back to PT again. I only have one session this week. I had a bit of a rough weekend, so didn't do my home PT at all. This time it wasn't my gut giving me issues, it was a sinus headache from hades yesterday, and bad bursitis in my hip Sat and Sunday. Will have to try a bit harder this week as a week is too long not to do something, right?!?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom