TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gail, you are certainly not alone with the blues thing. It gets us when we least expect it. I will start off a day feeling good and positive and then bish bash there it is again. This recovery road is such a roller coaster and I never liked roller coasters :heehee: I guess we just have to comfort ourselves that we are not alone in this and one day we will be back to normal - let's pray that we do :angel:
 
Absolutely! The emotional aspect is very difficult...one minute yahoo...the next in tears. Gail, I am the same. My best time is the mornings and when I seem to get the most accomplished, I do my PT and a few little things around here then...BAM swells like a balloon so back to icing, elevating, you know the whole thing. It is aggravating! The last couple of days have been pretty good for me, so I am hoping this is a sign of a little change around. Not doing out PT right now, I have more than enough different types of exercises to do and seem to be doing them quite well on my own, less stressful. Afternoons are MUCH harder.....I tell myself it will get better than before the surgery because I couldn't go on like that and this thought tends to keep me going until the next breakdown...LET"S KEEP HEALING! :console2:
 
Thank you all for sharing! And Roxie and Lisa thank you for sharing your feelings. Its good to know I am not the only one who feels like a cripple at night and still have so much swelling and blues. I try my darndest not to wake my husband up when I get up at night, but invariably I do, with my groans of pain. He keeps telling me, use your cane!! Which is probably what I should do, but the bathroom is right there next to my side of the bed, and the chair by my bed and the bathroom doorframe, work just as well.

Lisa I still have a fair amount of pain, when I swell. I really feel it when walking. Yesterday in the evening was horrid, I had not hurt that much in a longtime. I did my exercises in the morning and went with hubby to run a couple of errands. I didn't walk all that much, but boy was my knee angry. And at night, if I do not put a pillow between my knees, my hips will start hurting bad. I have been waking up the past few mornings with that hip pain. I think the hip pain "might" be from the stretching with light weights I have been doing to help my straightening. Will talk to the therapist at PT today to see if she has any suggestions.

Keep me in your prayers that I can get this leg to bend and my straightening improves. Hugs!
 
Let us know what happens at PT today and any suggestions she may have made. Things can only get better!
 
Gail, I m sorry things suck. My heart goes out to you. I hope you or your husband are able to do some small comfort thing for yourself each day. Whether it is get a small bouquet, read a poem, hug a pet, whatever things boost your spirits. Your straightening will improve as your swelling goes down and that WILL HAPPEN. You have a lot of challenges with your health issues and it is just making recovery a longer process for you. Send me a private message with your address. I will send you a card. :kittykiss:
 
Lisa there is one thing I am really blessed with......an absolutely amazing husband. He takes such wonderful care of me. And I was sure to read to him what it was like to recover from a tkr beforehand. So he is pretty understanding. And we got a puppy, he came home the same day I came home from the rehab center after my tkr. And he must have been meant for us, as he has been wonderful and so easy to train. His name is Flea:) He is a chihuahua/maltese mix. Just a little love!

Thank you for your support, I know I will get there, it just might take me a big longer. Will let you know what the PT says! Hugs!
 
Gail, I am glad you have a great hubby and a new puppy. "Flea" what a wonderful name! I love it. But do PM me your address. I would love to be able to do something for you, just a card to cheer you up. But only if you are comfortable with that. I like to help and be needed. I don't have a family who needs me so I like if my friends need me.
 
Oh Gail, can you please post a picture of your puppy. That mixture sounds interesting. I am not a fan of chihuahua, as I was bit by one when I was young, but love little hairy dogs, so want to see what yours looks like. Love the name too.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
Lisa I will send you that PM, thank you for caring, it means alot!! Hugs!!!!

Debbie, his coloring is very much like a chihuaha, but his face is more like a Maltese, without the long hair. He has thick fur, but its not long like a Maltese. He has a very unique look. Here is your picture, he is a little guy and won't grow too much more. This was about 2 weeks ago. Hugs!
 
Thought I would let you all know that I got to 105 on my bend yesterday! After I had rode the recumbent bike and done some heel slides she measured me and I was at 96. She had me do some more stretches and hangs, then measured me again and I was at 105. My straightening was at 12, but OS said thats just going to take longer for me. At least the threat of a MUA is gone.

But I think some of the exercises with weights have caused my sciatica to act up. Not hurting too much to walk, but really hurts at night. Ouchy! Think I am going to take it a bit easier today to see if I can ease it up some. Hugs!
 
Hi Nanners,
Excellent news about your bend. You must be chuffed. Flea looks gorgeous. Really cheeky and adorable. I'm sure he helps you a lot.
Take care,
Toothfairy :puppysmooze:
 
Gail, He is adorable! What a cutie. I can imagine he is a real snuggle bunny.

Great news about your bend! Excellent!
 
Gail, what a little cutie face Flea is! Make you want to cuddle and pet him up, what a sweetie!:puppysmooze:

Great news about you flexion, you must be so please to get that dreaded MUA of your plate!:thumb:

Oh yes about the blues, well I've always been on to weep at a drop of a hat, but as I aged I pretty much had it under control, until.... TKR happened and forget-a-bout it, not any more. It seems like I could watch a commercial and BAM!, there are the flood gates!:shrug: It has gotten a little less lately, but still occurs, maybe because we feel so vulnerable!:shrug:

Stay well my friend!:friends:
 
Thank you all! We do love our little Flea! And yes he is a BIG snuggle buddy. Kinda cute story about getting him. I have bugged my hubby for years about getting a pet for me to snuggle with. Well I lost my job in January and had decided that my health issues had become too much for me to hold down another job, so am in the process of applying for Social Security Disability. So I told my hubby now that I am retired I want a pet. It worked out great becuz my husband's nieces Maltese had just had puppies that she was not expecting. Come to find out the Dad was not maltese, so she couldn't sell them as such. So......we got first choice and of course we chose the cutest one. My hubby was all tough guy saying this was my dog and I had to take care of him. Guess who is now his biggest friend, of course, its Flea. He came at a good time in our lives and has been nothing but a pleasure since we got him. And my hubby who was not a animal person, now has a puppy that just wormed his way into his heart:)
 
Ugh I am not feeling so well today! Can't stay out of the bathroom this morning. I have PT scheduled for later today. Hope I can make it. This is getting so old.

Does anyone know how long we will walk like a cripple after getting out of bed at night or after sitting for awhile? Thanks!
 
UGH here too Nanners! Had to cancel my 4 week appt. with OS. Hurting so bad and then big waves of nausea. Cold and damp here today. I am waiting for the answer to your question too Nanners! Not sure why we have all the pain and stiffness in a joint that is man made! Ha!
 
Hey Gail what a sweet little addition to your family you have! Greta news on the bend but sorry to hear your feeling so bad, seems like it's the ole feel good one day and do great and then the next you pay for it!
I have noticed that each night it gets a little better, but with the colder weather setting in now a nurse at the hospital told me we will stiffen up more again, so she said wrap your knees or wear PJ bottoms to keep the knee warmer so they aren't so stiff... I didn't want to get out of bed this morning!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom