TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
The member I remember using one was Twinkletoes but I haven't seen her online for a while. Twinkletoes;
 
Found some stuff online about Dyna splints but Dyna is just the name of the company. They have them for flexion and for extension. Sure seems like one of these would help stabalize Natalie's knee!
Dynasplint® Systems offers an extension and a flexion splint for the knee. The many broken link removed: https://www.dynasplint.com/features-and-benefits/ will aid in rehabilitation and recovery from various injuries, surgeries and trauma. Read more to understand broken link removed: https://www.dynasplint.com/what-to-expect/ and broken link removed: https://www.dynasplint.com/how-it-helps/.

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side

    Knee Extension
    Dynasplint® System​

  • [Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side

    Knee Flexion
    Dynasplint® System​
 
Hi Nanners,

I tried a jas splint to improve my extension. It was a monstrous device and extremely uncomfortable. I used it very little, which is probably why it didn't help me. I just couldn't stand the tension it created in my knee. I also tried deep tissue massage, all kinds of things to improve extension but to o avail. I know you are struggling with this. Maybe the MUA is the way to go. When you see your OS next time, I would have a heart to heart to get to a better solution.

I feel your pain, and have been in exactly the same shoes you are in. If I can answer any questions or help, I surely will!

Take care,

Dawn
 
[quote="even with doing extra exercises at home and at PT to work on my straightening, it just makes me swell and go backwards. Thoughts or experiences to share?[/quote]

In knee language, pain and swelling means Slow down, Stop or No. I too was intrigued by the static stretch devices when my ROM seemed stuck at 85. he Dynasplints and JAS splints are very expensive and I would've gone that route had my slow stretching routine not worked.

The bottom line is this: you cannot force a knee to bend or straighten more than the soft tissues and hardware will allow. My bend improved before my extension did. Give it more gentle time. By the way my extension goes beyond 0 into maybe 3-4 degrees of hyperextension. At one point I was stuck at 10 degrees for months.
 
It seems to me that maybe having the CPM machine back for a couple months might help rather than these awful splints? My doctor didn't let me have CPM but I've seen it and think it would have helped me a lot.
 
After my MUA failed and I had the arthroscopic lysis, I bought a CPM off of Craigslist because I could not for the life of me find one to beg, borrow or steal. (Anyone want it?!) My rationale is while I was icing and elevating, I could have that leg gently moving to keep the adhesions from, well, adhering. So I agree with you.

The problem I have with this splint and others is that you're trying to make the leg do things when there are abnormal tissues tethering bone to muscle inside. I had a 1/4" cord of adhesion. It looked like a tendon. This stuff is not stretchy. These efforts aggravated the end points of this cord where they attached to normal tissues. This was a losing battle, let me tell you. It's practically masochism to keep trying to get ROM against those odds. I certainly was not up to that kind of battle.

I understand that arthrofibrosis is uncommon, but if someone has it, their ortho should be ready to go in and take that stuff out. However research shows this approach works well for flexion issues but not many docs have developed a method to arthroscopically removing adhesions behind the knee, which are the ones causing extension issues (although I have read studies where some have figured out how to do that). An extension of 10 will get to 0. I'm talking about more serious extension issues. Just summing up what I've gathered in my seemingly endless search for answers.
 
Thanks all! Brownie, no thats not the one my therapist mentioned. maryo52, I think your right, that the swelling is just getting in the way. Sounds like most didn't have that much luck with them anyways.

I will tell you I am not interested in a MUA. My knee still swells ALOT, and I am not going back painwise. My guts can't take it anymore either. Just will keep working on it. I see my OS again on November 29th, and will see what he has to say. Hugs!
 
Big hugs Roxie!! Thank you for sharing your struggles with me. Makes me feel less alone. My tummy has been joining the party alot. I am having more diarrhea of late and tummy is just feeling unsettled. I am not eating much either. But its better than the gastritis attack. To be honest, I think the Crohns is trying to act up. Something doesn't feel right.

As for the knee, I guess it will get there when "it" wants to. I am pretty sure swelling is my biggest problem. I have said many times, that even walking about the house makes me swell. I sent my OS an email and asked his thoughts on the dyna splint. Jamie was saying her doc didn't think much of them, lets see what my doc thinks. And I did tell him that swelling is a big problem.

I try to rest "some" on the days after PT. I like you, literally limp around the house the next day. Once I feel the knee getting into better spirits, I try to do stretches etc to help the ROM. But of course, I swell again. I am sure I will get there in time, I just have to be a little more patient. Hugs!
 
Nanners, there is a distinction between "swelling" and "effusion." Swelling is fluid between cells of soft tissue. Effusion an excess of joint fluid. This is an important distinction. You are still early in the game so I'm thinking you have a little of both.
 
Why don't you try some of those little Actimel drinks? They are really good at settling down a 'busy' gut. I believe over there they are called broken link removed: https://www.dannon.com/ourproducts.aspx.
 
Hi,

I had serious extension issues, at 15-20 degrees from straight. After a full year from LTKR, m OS opened up the TKR incision, removed the spacer, went in behind the knee, removed the scar tissue which had calcified by the way, did a postier capsular release, and put the new spacer back in a sewed me up. 3 days of heavy duty pain later, day four started to feel much, much better.

This is all about physiology that is unique to all of us. For me, this was the answer. Just don't give up looking for your solution.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Activia yogurt? They are yummy. I think the lack of activity makes our stomachs unhappy. If I just eat little bits then I am fine but if I eat even a small sized portion of whatever then seems like its sitting in there too long and get some nausea. Almost like morning sickness feels.
Nanners are you taking any anti-inflammatories? Did you tell us your PT is too aggressive? I agree that there is alot of pressure in US to do everything quickly, get off the meds, get to work, get rid of crutches etc. You feel kind of lazy if you aren't constantly trying to get flexion or walk etc. We have to stick up for ourselves! Maybe something is causing the swelling and you just need to take a break for a few days! Gentle stretches ice and elevation only?!
 
Josephine I take Probiotics. I have Crohns Disease and the Activia type drinks just don't agree with me, and to be honest I do not like yoghurt. So instead I take the probiotics. I can't imagine how much worse my diarrhea would be if I didn't take them.

Brownie, as I mentioned above I have Crohns Disease. It is a inflammatory bowel disease that has no cure. I cannot take meds like Advil, Aspirin or Aleve as they can cause intestinal bleeding in me. And since my knee replacement I cannot take Tylenol anymore either. Not sure why that one is not agreeing, cuz it is generally easy on the guts, but for some reason, it doesn't agree with me anymore. So I have to continue with my pain meds.

I don't think my therapist is too agressive to be honest. I just did some bloodwork and have found my inflammatory markers are high. So that may be causing the additional swelling. I go to a knee replacement PT class and the others are doing the same exercises as I am. But I am taking it easier, especially the day after PT. I am just too sore to do more. Hugs!
 
Oh that's right Nanners...about not taking anti-inflammatories. That's too bad because I think the Celebrex is pretty good for overall arthritis. I know what that's like when your inflammation is going nuts. Have you ever considered Humira or Enbrel? They are also given for Crohn's. I really resisted taking it due to the side effects but finally took it temporarily along with methotrexate to try to calm down my inflammation/arthritis because I was flared up so bad.
I'm glad you aren't being tortured!
 
Luckily Marianne I have not had to go to that strong of meds. I do take Crohns meds but they are not as strong as that. I am thinking the stress of the surgery on my knee is what is increasing my inflammatory markers and making the Crohns act up. Sigh!

Have had a really quiet weekend, and only did some stretches each day. Felt pretty crappy, and just watched movies all weekend. But if things stay a bit quieter, I will get back to doing more home PT. So far, so good, but that can change in a heartbeat. I hate this disease sometimes!!!
 
I have a few questions of stuff just floating in my head. First off, how long before you have less swelling? I am 10 1/2 weeks out from my LTKR and so sick of the stiffness and swelling. I ice and elevate and it helps for a bit, then I walk around the house and boom it swells again. I know I still have awhile to go, but would like a rough estimate. When I get up in the night to go to the bathroom, I feel like a cripple, I can barely walk and ouch does it hurt, this also occurs if I have been sitting too long. And next is the blues question, how long does this continue to pop out a you? I do good for a few days then I feel sad again. I think for me at least, part of it is my Crohns misbehaving, and being in pain and the swelling from the tkr, and I get weepy again.

I thought by now I would be so much further along than I am. I can tell first thing in the mornings that I have great bend at that moment, and then as the day goes on it just goes the other direction. And with stretches etc it feels looser for awhile, and then poof swells up again.

Just really venting, but all these things just bounce in my head. When feeling blue I always re read Jo's post about her recovery and I feel bit better. She didn't do a whole lot and got her range of motion back, and hoping within time I get there too. Hugs!
 
Oh Gail... I could hug you!!! :friends: You just asked the same questions that have been running thru my head lately, I feel like when I seem to be making progress and then BAM! I get reminded who is boss and I am swollen and cranky and the blues set in..I have been doing everything recommended and don't think a few outings to the store or cleaning a bit around the house (which is driving me nuts to look at!) should affect me the way it seems to too.. 1 day of a little bit of activity and I am down for 2 icing and elevating, lately I am feeling more muscle cramps and throbbing pain up and down both legs.

I would love to hear from other seasoned smarties out there and what their time frame was to feeling more active again without suffering the repercussions... but know that you are not alone and it's good to know I am not either, I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong or different...

Thank you my buddy for posting this rant and hopefully we will hear some feedback.. :sos:
 
Gail, I am sorry your inflammation markers are high and that your Crohn's is acting up. You just aren't getting much of a break are you? You asked about feeling like a cripple at night. Well, I do to. When I get out of bed to go to the bathroom both knees hurt and are stiff, and other joints are the same way. To be honest, I don't worry much about that nighttime stuff. In the morning when I first get up I typically feel like roadkill. I take my Tramadol first thing and then stretch out my leg for awhile and read a book while that is going on. Then I do some light upper body stretches to warm up my shoulders and just try and wake the body up. Then I get up etc. but it takes me a good 1-2 hours of being up before I actually feel much better in my body. I know that some of this is from the TKR but some of it is that I have not been following my anti-inflammatory diet very well lately and so my other joints are protesting as my inflammatory markers are a little higher than they were. I still have some swelling in my knee, and when you say your knee swells I don't really know how much you mean. In my case, I mostly ignore the swelling that occurs and pay more attention to how much pain there is. If the swelling is accompanied with a lot of pain (like the day I voted) I ice and elevate, but if not I kind of just ignore it. I suppose I am at a point where I am tired of having things be on hold because of the knee so I am just paying more attention to the pain and not the swelling. I don't know if I am making a mistake by doing that, but it is just sort of where I am at. Not being able to do things can erode away at your emotional and mental state and I figure it is not good for one to feel so down either because of those things, so I put up with some swelling and am happier for it. I don't know if that made any sense! I wish I was there to give you a hug, make you a cup of tea, or something. :martini: :martini:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom