TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was a down day for me! I went to PT and second visit in a row that I can't get my bend past 100, and my straightening has gone up, instead of down, I am now at 12, when I was at 10. And I work harder on that at home than I do the bend. At first I was tearful when I left PT, then I started thinking about a comment she made. She told me the pain is holding me back. I think she is right as I only take 1/2 of my pain med before PT. Maybe I should better medicate myself and before PT take a whole pain pill, instead of the 1/2. Oh I don't know.............

I am so bummed that I feel stuck. Any words of wisdom to help? Hugs!
 
Manners, you are doing ok..I was the same way...relax, take a deep breath and know. IT WILL get better. On its own with time it will plus you are doing PT. but I do know if your. In pain or if they push u to the pain or beyond, it will take longer.... All you will be doing is making the knee angry...When it gets angry, it gets red, hot and swollen which ---------- causes more pain... Theses folks on here are right..less pain, quicker healing......Love ya girl and hang in there.... :angel:
 
Gran you are probably right. I do go to PT as I am not one of those who is good doing PT on my own. But....I do swell afterwards, and the next day is hard.

I am gonna make sure though that I am taking the proper pain meds prior to PT and hoping that helps. And you are right, Bonesmart methods do work, and I just have to be patient. Thank you so much for your support, it means alot to me. Love and hugs from me to you!
 
Gail,

I don't know if this perspective will help or not. If I remember rightly you have both Crohn's Disease and fibromyaligia. Crohn's is an autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia is not well understood but possibly is the result of irregularities in the immune system. But both are highly inflammatory diseases and respond severely to stress. So even pre-TKR your body had a lot of inflammation going on. I know some people with fibro can hardly stand even light massage. So you went into TKR inflamed and are now even more inflamed and the whole surgical process is stressful both physically and mentally. I am not saying this to make you feel bad but to help you improve your arsenal of things with which to reduce inflammation and reduce stress, which may help your PT. If you go into PT, worrying about hurting and that your ROM won't improve that will make you stressed and tense; neither of which will help. So some of the following might help you reduce the inflammation in your body as a whole and bring your stress level down and that might make you more comfortable over all and better able to do the PT.

I don't know if you practice any of these things or if they interest you but the following might help you over the long term (none are short term solutions):
- Meditating to help with pain and to calm yourself; you might do this just before PT as well as other times of the day (this is not a substitute for your pain meds), but the calmer and more relaxed you are before PT the easier it will be
- Progressive relaxation exercises might help before PT. This is where you tighten and relax each muscle group in the body. Start at your feet and work your way up to your head. There are CDs out there that you can get that take you through a progressive relaxation program. I do this at night and it helps me fall asleep as it is deeply relaxing.
- I know your diet has to be bland for the Crohn's disease and I really don't know what you can eat, but eliminating the foods that tend to cause inflammation in the body might give you some overall relief from inflammation. Particularly, all forms of sugar, white flour and white flour products, highly processed foods, artificial sweeteners, red meat, saturated fats. If you can only get rid of some of these it might help calm the inflammatory response that is going on in your body.
- Have you ever had your C reactive protein (cardio-CRP test) measured? That shows you how much inflammation is going on in your body. Once you are less inflamed in your knee you might want to see what that number is. A good functional medicine or integrative medicine doctor could help you design a holistic program to bring that number down.
- A good supplement that might be worth looking into is L-Glutamine. It is very useful for calming inflammation in the intestines. I started taking this for leaky gut several months ago and I cut my cardio-CRP by 50%.

These are just my thoughts. I know when you are trying really hard and want something badly, that sometimes it makes it more elusive. I don't know how knowledgeable your PT is about the medical conditions that you have, but you might want to discuss the fact that they are both conditions that are inflammatory and responsive to stress and she if she has any thoughts of how to make PT more doable. You guys may have to brainstorm some and "think outside the box" to come up with something that works for you. But you will make progress and it may come on a day you least expect it. So don't lose heart.

One more thing. Both water walking and lymphatic drainage massage are excellent for reducing swelling. I found a massage therapist who practiced that modality and had one massage a week and it helped phenomally with the swelling; my PTs were thrilled. The pressure of the pool water also acts as a lymph massage too and that is why it helps with swelling too. Water exercise might aggravate your knee less than some of the other things you are doing.
 
Dave's aunt has the fibromyaligia and a few weeks ago she cut out everything that has wheat in it and within a week she was walking with no pain. If you aren't doing that already, it is worth a try.
 
Sorry to hear you had a bad time at physio yesterday, Gail. Everyone reaches that annoying and frustrating plateau. Personally, I think you have done extremely well to reach even 100 and I am envious of that, as you know.

Last Friday my ROM had decreased by 2 and Monday I got the 2 back after only a few minutes. It really is swings and roundabouts, peaks and troughs, highs and lows. Just think how well you have done so far after only starting physio at six weeks. You have come on in leaps and bounds and I know you will continue to do so - I have every faith in you :thumb:
 
Debbie, I have a friend who cut out gluten and she was able to stop taking the Lyrica.
 
Debbie & Lisa thank you for your thoughts. I have had Crohns for almost 40 years now and I have found that a modified low residue diet works best for "me". I have already cut out some of the things you mentioned. Lisa it very well could be inflammation, but to be honest I don't feel it, and normally I do. My fibro has been pretty quiet of late, and its gonna rain tomorrow, and I only got a sinus headache this time. I am going to try some meditation before PT tomorrow. I think I have gotten myself in a bit of funk, and maybe that will calm my spirits. The PT was mentioning a MUA and that shut me right down. But she also mentioned a brace that I wear 4-6 hours a day that might help out. Have you heard of anything like that?

KathyH, thank you too. I was reading someone else's post earlier and they were complaining of that very thing, reaching a plateau. Maybe you are right, and before I know it, I will bend more. Its a bit sad (at least to me) when you have someone in your class, who had a tkr 2 weeks ago and they are already over a 100 bend and almost flat in their straightening. But I will not compare myself to someone else, I have my own challenges, and my knee is mine. You and me are going to get there, and we are going to be a source of comfort to someone else. Thats my hope for us both! Hugs all!
 
Boy I am just now realizing how low I am feeling! I guess its one of those blue times that hit. Sigh! Tomorrow is a new day! I think I can, I think I can!!
 
Gail, I hate days like that, but you know they will happen, and you know there is always a new day tomorrow and hopefully it will be better.
 
Yeah you think you have gotten further along in your recovery to be passed the blues part, and it sneaks back in and hits you. Just have to remember baby steps. Thanks Debbie!!!
 
Well I went to PT yesterday and got my bend back to 102, but my straightening went the opposite direction and I ended my PT session at 14. Arrgghh! But....I think thats was becuz thetherapist and I have been working so hard on the straightening, that I think I just swelled right up. And I did do some light exercises before my PT too, which she said she was glad to hear, but maybe I just made my swelling worse??? And I swell really easily. She also had me working on some machines with weights, so maybe that just caused me to swell right up! Hmmm....

ElanorG, you were right my inflammation markers are up. My sed rate was 50 and normal for me is 30. I am awaiting the results on my Ferritin (iron stores), if its low probably my anemia is making a return, as the hemoglobin and hematocrit were both a bit low too. I don't know if my Crohns is trying to make a return or all this is from the TKR recovery. I have had alot more diarrhea of late. Ugh!
 
Aww, Nanners, I am so sorry you are struggling so much with this knee on top of all the other health battles you go through.
Have you talked to your surgeon? Can he suggest anything to help you get better extension? Maybe the brace?

I hate to think you need an MUA with all your pain issues. I know it isn't supposed to be as bad as the TKR surgery, but with fibro and Crohns, I just can't imagine.

Hang in dear heart!! Whatever needs to be done, you will come through. I hope the PT and a brace will fix you right up in time.
:)
 
Toni my therapist has been suggesting the dyna splint for me. I haven't had a chance to research it yet, but will be doing so shortly. If its helps, I will give it a try.
 
I am posting this outside my thread, as I would not get as many responses if this was buried in my thread.

Anyone have experience using the Dyna splint brace? Can you tell me how it worked for you? I seem to be able to get my bend to go in the right direction, but now, even with doing extra exercises at home and at PT to work on my straightening, it just makes me swell and go backwards. Thoughts or experiences to share?
 
I asked my doc about these and he said he thought they were worthless---but, that is just one opinion. I am sure I have heard of other members who have used one. Did you look in the archives?
 
Did you post a pic of it on your other thread? It looked so cumbersome. Seemed like it would be uncomfortable. Can you wear it over pants?
 
Hey Gail I can tell you I have been there with you lady, it seems I will go to PT and have a pretty good session, although my ROM fluctuates my extension has been 0 from the get go and then the next day I am swelled up and very stiff... can't get out of bed sometimes in the morning, body aches all over... if I take it easy and that means no exercise, just icing and meds then I am ok in a day or sometimes 2.. I know the PT is supposed to help us along but I wonder if our bodies are just wanting to progress at their own rate.. I do some stretching and I walk quite a bit, especially now that I am back at work. My bowels have been very temperamental as well, I go 3 days or more without any movement and then it's diarrhea.. I barely eat much of anything and what I have been eating is fairly healthy, plus side loosing some weight, negative side.. little energy to want to do much.
I guess i just wanted you to "feel" somewhat normal along with me... you are healing at a rate your body allows and it seems to scream at you like mine does to me when we stress it out.. hang in there buddy.. and let me know if you find a cure for the blues! :sigh:
 
You should do a search using the forum search feature.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom