TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Debbie1954, my therapist always says I am -10 also. I have had two different therapists say the same thing and I am for sure not hyperextended. And I can get a hand under my knee. So I think you are mistaken.


Gail, I just checked back in the library as I knew Jo had posted this not too long ago. If they are telling you that you are at -10, then it looks like you would be hyperextended.
[Bonesmart.org] Nanners adventure to the other side
 
I think people tend to say -10 meaning that they need 10 more to get to zero, but being 10 short is really +10, and straightening too far, hyperextending, would be -10. It's logically confusing, but geometrically correct.
 
I think it must be the same as Janet explains. Becuz when she measured me yesterday, she said -10 again. But.....could Jo's measurements be different becuz she is from UK and I from the US? Just a thought.
 
Roxie, I definetly find the heating pad helps alot. My hubby laughs at me all the time becuz I have the heating pad under my knee and ice on top while icing and elevating at night. And I have been massaging my knee since the get go. I love it!
 
Nanners,
I do not think the measures are different between UK and US. You just need to keep working at the extension and it will come.
 
Gail I have been researching therapeutic massage places around me, after massaging my own knees and seeing how much of a benefit it has been I can only imagine how great it would be to have a professional work on them too! the heat under and ice on top feels fantastic and makes my husband laugh too, he says I am confusing my knee... am I hot or cold.. hot or cold... I said oh heck that's just like me going thru menopause! LOL
 
I am not too worried on the straightening at this point. I am sure it will come in time. OS even told me in some it takes longer than bend.

Roxie, hubby is a great massager. I am rather spoiled. I am gonna have him work on my surgical knee tonight, the therapist worked me really well yesterday and I am sore today. Hugs!
 
Josephine just wondering how long these rules apply:

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!​
I am currently 9 1/2 weeks out from my LTKR. I go to PT twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday. I went from 85 to 103 in my first two weeks in PT. But....after PT I really swell up and have to ice and elevate alot. I am in a knee replacement class at PT and doing the much of the same exercises as my classmates with minor changes for each. The next day I am so sore and stiff, that I try to ice more and do less the next day (maybe a few extension exercises). I see others here saying the go to PT 3 times a week and do their exercises 3 times a day. Not sure if I am just being a wimp. I have read your story and know you didn't do much PT wise, but in the US they seem to have different expectations. I seem to be one of those folks who swell after any activity. Should I just do my PT twice a week, and try to avoid stressing the knee further with additional exercises on my own at home? I still limp when I walk, and can't walk very far before getting tired out and the knee starts protesting. Can I please ask your thoughts? Thank you!​
 
As I gave a fairly comprehensive answer to a similar question and to save me writing it all out again, please read this.

However, to address the kernel of your question, it's expected that patients will slowly decrease these activities on a 'trial and error' basis, meaning try to do with a little less pain meds every so often and if it proves to be a bad idea, then go back to the usual. Same with elevating, icing, activity and everything else.
 
Josephine thank you so much for your response on mine and KathyH's post. I am still taking my pain meds....I have been taking a 1/2 dose during the day when I have to drive, but once home, I don't hesitate to take more if needed. I am not worried about my pain meds at this point. I know I need them still, and will continue to use them as long as needed.

But you gave me great comfort about the PT. I will take the next day off and rest, ice, elevate and take my meds. I think my knee will greatly appreciate it:) Thanks again!!
 
I think you need to stop PT and do gentle stretches on your own... My OS took me off after 2 weeks due Ro them doing too much...I'm doing just fine..It's a money thing.... We don't can do our own and not go thru the pain they put us thru... Just saying..
 
Gran17, I don't think I should quit PT. My OS then would just order a MUA, and I am not going there. Even when I do the exercises at home I swell up and hurt. Shoot just walking a little bit makes me swell up. I think I am just one of those who swells alot, and at 9 1/2 weeks my knee still gets warm. I think its better for "me" to just do PT everyother day, and rest a little more in the days in between. Hugs!
 
I am at almost twelve weeks and my husband was rubbing my knee the other night as said it was still warm. I bet we can expect that off and on for awhile, swelling too.
 
Yep Debbie I think this is gonna hang around for awhile! But within time, we will get there. For me its slowly but surely! LOL
 
Oh and Gran17, I also need the PT to get me to do things. If left to myself, I would end up babying my knee more than I should probably! :)
 
My PT said that most patients could do the exercises themselves, but most of us would not push ourselves that little extra that we need and that is why we need PT's. Hmmmph! I suppose that she is right, I don't like discomfort and I really don't like pain. I just want to wake up tomorrow and be back to normal. I don't think that is asking for too much! :heehee:
 
Oh I do understand. I am the very same..I. Am a sweller too and if I over do it, I still swell and have heat at 3 and half months...PT made me get so inflamed my OS took me off and now I am doing so much better?I cannot believe the difference a few weeks make.
That said everyone is different and must so what is right for them.....you hang in there, it will get better.
 
Manners, you may be right there...I do baby mine and my bubbie is worse than me. I have to tell him, I NEED to walk..... He is too protective..haaaa
 
Hi Gran, Just reading post and see that you are from Taylorsville, wow, we are neighbors! I am in Stony Point. What a small world as they say. Hope you are getting along well with your new knee!!
 
Wow Marina blue.....I was raised in SP.....this is wild.....yes we are neighbors...how are you doing
With your knee???? I am finally doing better. It has been a long battle.. Never dreamed the recovery would be this long....
My name is Katen by the way.....so nice to meet ya...... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom