Guest viewing is limited

TKR KathyH New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm....I think we need Josephine in here! I say swelling means just gentle stretches and very gentle range of motion. And hold off on pushing for super flexion and don't allow over zealous PT to get you further inflamed. Come on...they really cannot break up all the adhesions in one session! Also I read on Bone Smart hehe that there is a difference between adhesions and scar tissue. Maybe your PT shouldn't be doing that! I am so glad you are posting about this because right now my PT never causes pain but once I can drive I will be going to a facility for PT and I will be prepared to tell them they are not allowed to hurt me and they don't like my philosophy I will have to find someone else.
The BoneSmart way has been proven to me several times during the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have had a couple painful days and I just gave myself the day off and VOILA the next day I had more flexion and strength. Increased swelling is your knee telling you that you are doing too much for too long. Our desperate wish to be "normal" now that we've had the operation sometimes gets in the way of common sense! I also think we all want to please our family and doctors with progress.
These operations we've all had are doozies. I am pretty close to thinking that it was worse than labor. And I've had a kidney stone and it's worse than that. Anyone else on that subject? Is it the worse pain you've ever had? Sorry this is so long. Kathy you are doing great...and we are all pulling for you to feel better tomorrow!
 
Not doing well with the ROM at all. I think I am, then my PT comes and she tells me different. I measure ROM with the App on my iPhone and it improves, but when she measures me, I don't.

I feel my new exercise bike really eases my knee. My PT has advised me to lay off it until I have more ROM. She asked me to show her last week and she said because I am using my hip, it will cause damaged. BUT that is only during the first couple of minutes - after that everything eases and I don't use my hip to go round. So I am continuing to use it, as it makes me feel good. Conflicting views from different PTs is sooooo confusing, so go with what you think/feel best.

Home visits finished now. She wants me to go to her from now on. Have a session this afternoon. So will report back on my return.
 
Good Luck Kathy.

I feel a bit of a fraud, because my new knee hardly gives me a twinge. I feel sure it is just luck!
 
Wishing you good luck with the visit to the physio. I always tense up anyway thinking of the visit so I guess that dosent help. My exercises have been getting more painful without getting better results. Hope it goes well for you. Will catch up later .:)
 
KathyH you bring up a valid point. I see folks on here who are going to PT, and doing their exercises 2-3 times a day. I go to PT and have to rest the next day becuz I am so swollen and stiff and yes hurting. I want to know how often we should do exercises at home? I am doing the same exercises as folks in my class, but I wonder if my discomfort is just that discomfort, or is it really pain that I am minimizing. Bonesmart rules tell me I should just be doing stretches, but thats what my PT exercises are, stretches! But those stretches make me swell, which in turn makes it harder to walk etc. Shoot, if I don't do any exercises and just walk about the house, I still swell!

I don't know if the next day after PT, I should just rest or continue with my "stretches" (exercises)? Do I just push thru the discomfort or rest? Good questions, huh? So hard to know which is right. Sorry for the vent, cuz I just get so confused too!

Hugs!
 
Whoa! There are no BoneSmart "rules", only guidelines and suggestions. However, having said that There is some misunderstanding about what all this means.

First, I would argue strongly against intensive anything that causes pain or discomfort. That's a certain way to swelling and all that including poor ROM. Plus you know best what works for your body so if you find something that is working (Kathy!) then don't let anyone put you off. You know your leg, your physio doesn't. She can give you advise but you are not bound on oath to take it. I was given some exercises to do for my shoulder when I fell and tore a muscle last year. She wanted me to do them 4 times a day which I tried but found they made the pain worse so I only did them once a day. When I went back, she complimented me on the progress I'd made!

Second, our bodies always need a day of rest here and there and I think it is important to remember this. Exercising every day is a sure path to getting into trouble as it exercising 3-4 times a day. You must be the custodian of your leg and judge when it's becoming too much. If you get to that point - discomfort, pain, swelling - then stop and do the mantra: rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds. It's interesting to me how often people tend to miss out the last one for all sorts of reasons like they don't want to become 'addicted'! which is nonsense!

As regards the scar tissue, there is only one type and that's the kind that makes wounds knit together and heal. I think people are sometimes under the illusion that this is just a superficial thing but it's not. It goes always down to the joint! What's often referred to as the evil 'scar tissue' is more properly known as adhesions, meaning muscle bodies and ligaments stick to one another and sometimes need to be forcefully pulled apart. Interestingly, in my last xrays you can see the outlines of the quads muscle and I have added red dotted lines to show where adhesions can occur. (note to self - add this to the article in the Library!) To save me more writing, please read the article MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions. If I've missed anything, please let me know!

[Bonesmart.org] KathyH New Knee



BTW, Brownie, you are a real peach! Never knew anyone take to the 'BoneSmart way' so quickly!
 
KathyH, just checking in to see how things went yesterday and how you are feeling today? If the bike gives you relief, I would still use it. When i go to PT the first thing we do is ride the recumbent bike. I always like it becuz it feels like it wakes my knee up. I would love to get one for home. Hugs!
 
I don't have have the PT for home visits now. So I drove myself there yesterday - only a ten minute drive into town, but first time of driving on my own - scary, but I done it. I wasn't in there for very long. She had me do a few stand and sits, plus stepping onto a stepper with full weight on my operated knee and I found that one surprisingly easy.

Last week my ROM had gone down by two degrees to 73. But yesterday after only a short time it had got back to 75. I really need to progress from that number. She was very pleased with me (and she WOULD tell me otherwise, in a nice way) and asked what I had done different. Had I stopped using the bike? Well, I had stopped using the bike for a couple of days. But then I thought, s*d it, I feel it does me good, so am back on it - I try to do ten minutes, three times a day - though only go backwards for the time being (until I can get to 90). So I told her (more like lied, just to keep the peace) that I had stopped using the bike ("good" she says!). My extension was still -5, which she seems more than happy with, although I would still like to improve on that.

I do my knee bending and straightening exercises two or three times a day and it always makes my knee feel nice and 'loose' afterwards. Plus of course my bike - ssssssh :heehee: I have also started doing an arm exercise with my weights to try and tone up those awful upper arm thingys.

After the physio yesterday I drove to a local supermarket to get a couple of things. I took one crutch just for confidence and I did fine. My knee didn't give me any gyp (spelling?) when I got home. So a good positive day.
 
Great Kathy!!! You just keep on doing what makes you feel better. You'll get there my dear!! You're doing just fine!!
 
Great Kathy, follow you heart my dear friend! One of these days you'll get the bike peddle all the way around and you'll feel so exuberanted and nothing will stop you then! You'll win at this game my friend! :thumb: Just keep a positive attitude, great things have yet to come! :friends:
 
Kathy, Sounds like your new PT was a very positive experience. And you did a lot, both driving to PT and grocery shopping! Sounds like a great day all around.:happydance:
 
Titianlady I need you to live with me :heehee: Thanks Jacky and Lisa. And Jacky, I do do full rotations on the bike, even if my seat nearly touches the ceiling :heehee: and I feel so good after using it - not only loosens the new knee, but makes my whole body feel good - like after you have been to a gym - torture at the time, but sure feel good afterwards.
 
Titianlady I need you to live with me :heehee: Thanks Jacky and Lisa. And Jacky, I do do full rotations on the bike, even if my seat nearly touches the ceiling :heehee: and I feel so good after using it - not only loosens the new knee, but makes my whole body feel good - like after you have been to a gym - torture at the time, but sure feel good afterwards.

Ahh, Kathy, how sweet of you. I would come for a visit if I could! I could give you encouragement when you do your physio, show your hubby how to do that wonderful message my PT did, and you could show me how to make a great shepards pie! :cheers: :friends:
 
Lol, I know you would Titianlady. Even if I do say so myself (and so does Ray) I make a mean shephard's pie and would gladly give you my recipe :thumb:
 
Whoa, wait I love shephard's pie, could I possible have your recipe Kathy? I've made my mom's recipe for years, however I'm always looking for a "mean shephard's pie" recipe! Please :beg:
 
Me too Kathy, me too!!!!!! Recipe please!!!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom