TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elanor, I can't stress enough, how much losing weight will make you feel better. Remember, I was right there with you guys. I was over 280 at one point. I did it with just cutting back my portions and tried as good as I could to not eat empty calories. Then of course exercise. It is possible you can do it.
 
Debbie,

I am not overweight and only 2 weeks behind you and there is NO way I could walk two miles. So I am quite jealous. I am sure I will get there one day, but I think its gonna be awhile before I get there. Sigh! LOL Hugs!
 
Debbie..I am overweight too and hope I can get it off as you did. I know this is not good for a TKR. Looking forward to losing and most of all to walking some distance again...Hugs!
 
Gail,
I don't know if you were an exerciser before your surgery or not, but for me it was a lifeline. Biking, water walking, swimming and weight lifting were the only things that were keeping me going. Since I could not walk to maintain healthy joints and help with the arthritis pain I had to find other things and those were it. But they were my lifeline that made me feel better, kept me from getting too depressed and relieved the pain. I got my legs as strong as possible after my diagnosis and I have to say all that strength training took away the pain I was feeling just sitting at my desk and driving, but it never helped me walk better. So I may be able to tolerate the exercise better than many people as I had done so much of it, but also it is so important to my own sense of well being to be able to exercise. So my motivation to do the PT and return to my normal activities was very high because it is so tied to my sense of well being. I don't know if that makes any sense.
 
Oh Lisa it does make sense. I was not too much of an exerciser becuz my knee was just too painful. But a few years back hubby and I use to go for walks all the time. We only live 6 blocks from the beach and use to enjoy walking down there or just around the neighborhood.

I do look forward to going for walks again and taking our puppy with us. But its going to be a bit more before that happens, but that is my goal. Soon as I can get Pt taken care of and get better use of my knee, and we will start our walks again hopefully. And especially once I can get this swelling to go away, I know I will be able to do more. Hugs!
 
At first I was wondering...now who is Virginia????? Sonja, you keep trying to convince us that you are shy and I for one ain't buying it.

Now now Debbie! I saw that bumper sticker the day after my wedding and I thought it said "Virgin is for Lovers". I told my then un married cousin Cheryl about it and we laughed together at my boo boo! I think the only thing I had on my mind at the time was love!

Signed,

"The Shy One" :blush:
 
Debbie,

We should put together a motivational club to help people lose weight! One thing I want to stress, do it for yourself! Don't do it for a spouse, sibling or anyone else, because the results will be fleeting! I have a cheering section at T-Star, and now I will start using a personal trainer there. They have been with me through the first 152, so I know they are ready to see me reach my goal of 200, when I will have skin removal surgery, and then continue to tone and get the last bit of weight off! :happydance:
 
Sonja, yes we all need a weight loss cheering section. I have an online group of friends that I have been friends with for years. They have helped me through my highs and now are with me in my lows. We all feed on each other as we all have good and bad days. Then my husband goes into this agriculture site and there are a few women on there so I started reading and posting once in awhile. Last Jan I started a weight loss thread and it took off. There were times where only a couple people posted on our Monday weigh in days and I questioned if I should keep the thread up and then so many would write and say even though they don't post every week, they read it and they are inspired by it. So if I can inspire old farmers, this could go anywhere...LOL
 
Sonja, also wondering if we should start a weight loss, or an eat healthy thread in the social room? What do you think. I have to leave for PT in a few minutes, but I think it would be a really good idea.
 
Elenor and Debbie, you girls made me laugh after reading your post,i needed this:happydance:Good looking PT aw:giggle: My Rom was 118 this morning and i now can do the bike for ten minutes, went shopping with my husband yesterday at Sam's I was tired but i did okay. Like everyone says in here slow and easy wins the race . Elenor i'm like you ,my right knee hurts more than my left one! I 'm hoping i can make it wait until after my first grandbaby is born in February:angel: Stay safe and i will keep you in my prayers that uou get thru this storm!
 
Sonja, also wondering if we should start a weight loss, or an eat healthy thread in the social room? What do you think. I have to leave for PT in a few minutes, but I think it would be a really good idea.
I think that sounds great! But since I am shy, :heehee: , I will let you take the lead. Not to mention today I'd deadline day for thesis, so I have to go back and polish it! :wink:
 
Debbie_joints RestAssured

I think the weight loss/eat healthy thred is a greaat idea. I would be happy to open a thread on that in the social side once I dry off. Went to PT this morning and I got soaked walking in.
 
Not for me guys, I am on the other side, trying to maintain my weight. Geez louise are my hips hurting today. I think its those extension exercises with light weights thats the cause. Ouchie!!
 
See my OS on Wednesday! I know he is still gonna push for a MUA, but I am gonna push right back. I am still way too swollen all the time, so I see no reason to do a MUA only to make the swelling worse. I am finally making some progress in PT, and think going from 85 to 101 bend in about 10 days is pretty good. His nurse wanted me to come in tomorrow after my PT but I told her no way, after PT, I just want to go home and ice and elevate. So will see him on Wednesday. Will keep you posted on how it goes. Hugs!
 
I agree Gail, you don't need a MUA this soon especially with the progress you have made lately. Isn't it great how BoneSmart has made so many of us feel more powerful. Stand up to those people who are trying to push you.
 
Hi Gail and Debbie...I saw my OS today and he told me everything looked good. He had me sitting and pushed my leg back as far as I would let him and told me my ROM was good and keep working on it. He also asked me if I had thought anymore about having him do an MUA and I told him I wanted to keep working on leg and I definitely didn't want that!...He agreed and said he didn't think I was a candidate for it anyway. Sometimes I wonder if these OS's just want to see if you will agree to have these things done that maybe don't need to be done....Hmmm...something to think about I suppose..
Any way, hang in there Gail and don't let your OS talk you into having that MUA if you're doing well and can improve more and more every day. Hugs!!
 
Oh, and I meant to tell you gals that my hips are hurting alot today. Could it be that I'm doing too much??
 
Marina, it could be you are doing to much to cause your hips to hurt, or it could be that you are walking differently now with a new knee which puts your hip in a different position so it might make it hurt, or using different muscles will make it hurt more.
 
Thanks Debbie...I think I do tend to walk differently now. Awhile ago I looked funny having a heating pad on my hip and icing my knee too...What we do to be comfortable...lol...but it works!!!
 
Debbie, how can I find out what my ROM is when I'm not in PT and OS doesn't need to see me for a year. I fear I could be regressing and not know it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom