TKR Nanners adventure to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katy, if you aren't in PT anymore not sure if you can figure out what your ROM is unless you buy a goniometer. You would have to have someone measure you. Just google it, I don't think they are expensive. But once I am done with PT I think I will just go with how I feel and how I am doing on steps, and getting in and out of the car.
 
Thank you. I was getting pretty nervous about it but what you said makes sense.
 
Katy,
If you go to Amazon, they have quite a few goniometers there, and they are pretty cheap. I think they appear to be pretty easy to use too.
 
Gail,

Good luck with your appt with the OS tomorrow! I agree with Debbie, I think it is way to soon to talk MUA. You have made great progress! Even if you don't need to lose weight, the thread is also for healthy eating, which I would think might be of help with the Crohn's and fibromyalgia? I have a friend with fibromyalgia and she has given up gluten products and was able to stop taking the Lyrica it helped her symptoms so much. Anyway, just a thought. It will be great when you can walk on the beach again with your husband and puppy. I would like to be able to walk on the beach too.

Yesterday my PT (not the good looking guy) told me to stop limping. That there was no need for me to limp on the TKR leg anymore (although she did say that I might still need to limp on the other knee as it is not so great). She wants me to march around the neighborhood with my Ipod and listen to music with a steady beat to get rid of the limp! I can just see me doing this. :gaah:

Have a great day!
 
Oh no Lisa, you don't know Crohns Disease. I have to eat very bland, and veggies are far and few between in my diet. The type of Crohns I have is the stricturing type or aka I get alot of blockages. So have to be careful with fiber etc. So I still won't join your little group. I have my diet all figured out and its keeping me out of the hospital. Unfortunately with Crohns you eat as best as you can, but it is a very white diet as its gentle to digest.

I am not going for the MUA at all. To be it would just make everything worse. It would create more pain, more swelling, which means more pain meds, which leads for me to bad gastritis, and unable to get to PT again. Nope I will just continue with my PT. Hugs!

Marina, my hips are killing me too. I think its from some of the extension exercises I have been doing at home. I have fibro and things get easily irritated. Hugs!
 
Today is my return visit to the OS. I got to a 103 bend yesterday, so I am sure the MUA discussion is over. I spoke with my PT as I am still working on the straightening and she said that they only do MUA's when you have poor bend. I am pretty proud of myself for going from 85 to 103 bend in only a couple of weeks. Now I gotta keep working on that extension! Whoo hoo.....
 
Nyland are you the one who is still having straightening issues with your knee? How is your bend, is that progressing well while the straightening lags? What does your PT say about it? Hugs!
 
Yes, my bend is 120 on my own and up to 125 with a little help. My extension is -10. My PT said it is my miserable hamstrings. I'll work harder as soon as I get this infection cleared and the tooth problem healed. Tomorrow the tooth should just be a bad memory. I go to my OS next Tuesday.
 
Nyland, I think you might be mistaken saying your extension is at -10 as that would be hyperextended. 0 is flat where you can't get your fingers under your knee and if you are a 10 then you would be able to get your hand under your knee when trying to put it down flat on the table. I was still at a 5 last time they measured me and with pushing they can get it all the way down. I also have tight hamstrings from having my knee at a 10 all the time.
 
Gail, sounds like things are going great. Congratulations!
 
Saw the OS yesterday, and he was SO pleased with my progress, he had a big smile on his face. I didn't realize it had only been 2 weeks since I began PT, so pretty good going from 85 to 103 in that short time. He did say that the straightening tended to lag behind bend. My hamstrings or quads are still weak. I can see the difference between both legs when I look in the mirror, but that will come in time.

He also said, that since I had been so sick for four weeks, that even though I am 9 weeks out from the surgery, I am really only at 5-6 weeks out. I asked for a lighter pain med, but he doesn't want to switch me, as it could cause more tummy problems. Thats okay though, I am really not taking that much anyways.

Nyland I thought it was you, but doc said that once my quads get stronger, that the straightening would come. So we will get there. @Debbie1954, my therapist always says I am -10 also. I have had two different therapists say the same thing and I am for sure not hyperextended. And I can get a hand under my knee. So I think you are mistaken.

And lastly, I think the nerve endings are waking up, I had to take my pain meds at like 3 am this morning, my knee was spasming like crazy. The pain meds and a ice pack calmed it down. That was not pleasant! Hugs all!
 
So good to hear your OS is happy with your progress, Gail. Good for you and I am very envious. You are going to do just fine from now on and you deserve it after all you have suffered these past few weeks :thumb:
 
What a great doctors appointment. Always nice when the Dr's are happy. Way to go.:iagree:
 
Gail! That is a great report from the doc.... way to go... I have been getting more positive results from massaging and relaxing the knees lately... have you trued heating pad underneath your knee and then massage for the extension? Sleep deprivation is my biggest complaint these days, especially having gone back to work... I still wake up at least once in the night and actually get out of bed, but toss and turn several times.. makes me wish I still had the old fashioned water bed and wouldn't heat it, just lay my knees on the mattress and just keep them cooled down all night! LOL but them I would have that sea sickness thing from the motion everytime my hubby moved around!
Anyways so great to hear your progress! Keep it up.. :bicycle1:
 
Nanners, do please try to remember that your muscles aren't weak, they are injured and need time to repair and recover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom