Revision THR Nanamac's story - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Janet, I just asked my PA about pedicures at my follow-up yesterday. She said I am good to go at six weeks. I've never heard of communal foot bath. I like having my own pedi chair at the salon w individual sanitized tub as Josephine mentions. My PA did say to turn down any razor callus treatments ... But I always turn that down anyway because my calluses are hard earned and serve a purpose!

Enjoy a treat for your tootsies!
Homeschooling Mom
R THR 2-20-12
 
Oh honey that's what i meant. It's a foot bath for one person, but even though it gets cleaned out and sanitized, look at how many people use it every day! I'm just overly cautious about those things.

Thanks for the info !
 
I've had less than a handful of pedi's in my life. Here, they have gone for the single-tub w/disposable liners here at some places, so I read/hear. Otherwise, go first thing early in the morning when the Clorox-type stuff has set in there all night.

I also go for no cutting, just filing.

(I still have on the same polish from New Year's :secretaea:)
 
Hi Janet,

Stopping by to see how you are doing! You sound in such great spriits which makes me soooooo HAPPY because you always gave so much of yourself in supporting me and so many others! xxooxx

I wanted to chirp in on the pedicures. I'm really dissapointed right now, I had my feet done just before my surgery then a few weeks ago, by a new person...NOW Im going to admit the time a few weeks ago she had removed my polish and there was an odd looking but mild bruises on both my big toes and my gut had thought ewwwww not good, I also thought icky the area I was sitting didnt look so clean! I work in this business and am a complete nutcase over cleanliness. Anyhoooo fast forward last week I went to see my dermatologist for something else and had her look at my toes and she confirmed I had a fungus. Not sure why im sharing this now.....she also added sometimes surgery and the medications can add to something like this not the fungus part the bruised look part. I came away with drops, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and if no improvement (knowing it can take a while) I'll go to a podiatrist and have them remove both nails. I had that done a few years ago for an ingrown toe nail and it grew back quickly. They dont so bad right now.

Was that too much information..sorry! Its the first time I've told anyone.

A group pedicure scenerio ewwwww no way!!

Sorry to invade your thread!

Sending lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Well, since you mention it, Sarah....I one time had toenail fungus as well. The nail removal sounds pretty extreme. I used tea tree oil each day for several weeks and it worked to cure the fungus. But....I had let it go a while and I had to wait for the nail to grow out to get it looking perfect again.
 
Well, I am glad that I brought this up then. I had a few ingrown toenails fixed over the past year as I kept mangling the big toes as I could barely reach them since the THR.

So, I ended up having to have the Podiatrist fix them after I had caused infections. One is still a tad healing and I would hate to risk an infection by going to a salon.

I didn't have a pedi before the THR because it wasn't healed enough. I know thay are supposed to sanitize those foot basins, but that doesn;t mean that they do!

Just makes me a little anxious after all the feet that goes into the basin each day. I don't let them cut anything either, but I have been cut by their very hard emery board before.

Perhaps if I wait the six week mark I will pre-med before I go. Or, I could always go to the foot doctor and have him cut my nails in the mean time. A lot of older people do that...

Thanks for all the replies :thumb:!
 
Janet glad to read your still doing well, and on the GOOD road to recovery... About the pedicures, as long as they are not poking under your nails, the bath-tub is sanitized, you don't allow them to shave the dead skin you should be fine. I'd bring in your own nail clippers, and file though. Just as a precaution if your nervous about it.
 
They actually have a plastic container with each of our names on them for our own fies, etc. The actualy instruments are kept in a sterile solution in between clients.

I'm sure everything is fine with the place. I'll just wait three more weeks and be that much more healed! Thanks SL.

How are you feeling?
 
I'm glad now I shared this now, Jamie thank you that makes me feel better!

Janet yes I'm completely confident most times are perfectly fine, I just thought it was all odd timing with the surgery, I think we do get a little more sensitive about things for potential infections.

Thank you xxooxx
 
Good morning everyone. Well, Bill is in recovery now and I still don't know what the surgeon found. I didn't go with him & his daughter as they had to leave here at 5:30 and she was going to wait it out.

I knew if there was a recliner I would have been ok, but not a smart thing to do three weeks out of surgery. My leg would have been dangling just sitting in a chair all morning so they understood.

The growth was enormous by the time today came, as well as being extremely painful. Please say a prayer that whatever "it" is, it can be treated or is nothing!

The fact that it appeared out of the blue and grew so fast is a bit concerning. And it is under his right arm which he is right handed so it has been a rough few weeks until surgery.

I'll keep you posted...
 
Latest update..he is drinking coffee and eating crackers. He has a drain which he is not happy about and was in some pain so they gave him Percocet. Should be released around noon. Won't have a pathology report for a week or more. Will find out results at the follow up appointment.

Uh! Now the waiting game.

Worst of this is that he just started a new job. As a contractor, Bill refurbishes a lot of historic homes here in Marblehead and he just started on one a few weeks ago. It was General Glover's home. George washington slept there, really.

It is on the Historic registry so for Bill to be refurbishing it, his name will also go on the registry as well which is quite prestigious.

Benig a contractor I have seen a lot of these homes that he has refurbed and it is amazing the stories that I have heard about the muskets that they have found under floor boards or behind clapcoards or walls. And other antique artifacts as well.

He always returns them to the homeowner..
 
I'm just curious about something @Josephine: or anyone else. If I have no restrictions and was told weight bearing as tolerated and am able to walk without my crutches, do I still have to use them?

I see others go immediately to a cane or one crutch. I must admit, my kitchen is small with a lot of counter space, and my bed is close to my 1/2 bath, so I haven't been using them for either.

Can you do damage by not using them in the beginning? I have no limp or pain without them. I am using two crutches at the momet just because I pulled something in my inner thigh doing an exercise.

I am three weeks post op today...
 
Hi Janet-Hope everything with Bill turns out good. Was his lump in the armpit? Sometimes a cat scratch can cause lymph nodes to swell quickly, especially in the armpit.

I was WBAT-weight bearing as tolerated- immediately post op but continued to use aides until I got rid of my limp. In the kitchen I didnt use an aide because our counters are close together. I dont think you will hurt anything and as long as you feel safe/confident and have no limp, try it out!

Good Luck
 
Janet I wouldn't worry about not using crutches or cane if you are OK without them. But as Haldox says - if there is any limp developing use something. When I got tired I needed one crutch. Otherwise I was fine - especially as you say - in the kitchen.

Fingers crossed for Bill! Please don't over do when he gets home will you? Two recoveries going on there! :thud:
 
Everything crossed for Bill Janet. So really chuffed to bits to hear how well you are doing. Don't go overdoing it though, you know the routine by now.
Love and hugs
Anne :yay:
 
Thanks Haldox & Jaycey. That's what I thought, of course for the next few days I am back on two crutches and doing next to nothing because of straining that muscle or something while exercising.

As far as overdoing it, NO WAY! Bill's daughter took him this morning and has been here all day waiting on US! Her sister is bringing dinner and my daughter has been doing grocery shopping and laundry.

He has a drain and returns to the surgeon next Tuesday. We are the walking wounded but we'll manage. The kids are all near by, except for the one daughter in Maine. Payback time :th_heehee:...
 
Thanks Anne. We were typing at the same time. I am doing very well actually except for a little muscle strain from one of the exercises. This surgery has been an unbelievably pleasant surprise!
 
Hi Janet - let us know about Bill! I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
And, wow, you sound as if you're doing so well post-op! You sure deserve this after all you went through before!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom