TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Sending good recovery thoughts your way. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh wow well done for speaking up and glad to hear it all went well xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Annlong time no hear. Catching up on your thread and can't believe you are still having ops. That is so unfair. Hope you have had the last of them now. I will keep updated. You're a great gran ❤️ How good is that. I look after Spencer five days a week now. Couldn't have done that before my knee op Hope to hear from you soon take care.
 
Hello

What a lovely surprise to see all the well wishes, it's wonderful. So thank you each and everyone for supporting me.

The op went ahead with a different surgeon and the very first hospital I was in for my RTKR (I was nervous) and at the 11th hour a different surgeon altogether. However, the surgeon who asked me to allow this other surgeon to perform my op, assured me he'd trust the guy to operate on his own mother. So I thought oh come on let's get this done. I'm doing pretty well. I have to say my care was excellent at this hospital.

I was released from the hospital today. I am walking on crutches. I only used the frame for one day in hospital, I tried the crutches and then it was like something clicked in my head. I did the stair walk up and down. I walked to the toilet and back. The physios were thrilled with my confidence. I think I realised that this should be my very last knee op and I can move on. I feel liberated.

To say this was just patella resurfacing etc it feels like it's had more done. I will know more at the follow up appointment in 6weeks.

My pain relief is 100mg Lyrica twice a day, paracetamol and codeine. It's working beautifully. I've gone upstairs to bed tonight. The furniture downstairs is just too low for comfort. So I have my water, snacks, phone, iPad etc all to hand as well as my medication. Hubby's phone is at his side downstairs should I need him.

@robynhood wow, it's been ages, I am so glad to hear from you and that your knees are ok! Well done you!
@Celle thank you for the information. I'm uncomfortable but not in really bad pain. I'm just so relieved it's over and I'm home.

I'm a bit tired but I had two very deep sleeps today and now I'm awake. Will put the iPad away until later now. Will check in soon. All my love Ann X
 
Ann,
I am happy to hear you are home and comfortable in your own bed, with all the goodies you need around you.

In case you forgot them :heehee:, here is your very own copy of the post op reading. Hopefully the last one for you.

First is the reading - everybody gets a free copy of the recovery reading!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Glad you're home, Ann. I'm hoping this is a great recovery for you.
 
I'm happy your surgery is over and you are home now. I hope you continue to do well.
 
Hi @Nana moon 27, Ann, so glad you are home and the surgery is now behind you. Many good blessings and prayers are being sent your way. Continue healing and getting stronger each and everyday!! :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Moms had a bad fall on our side drive. She's broken her hip. She screamed with pain and had an ambulance to the hospital. They're operating on her this morning after 9am.

She has A/fib and two,leaking valves, I'm very concerned. She's had to wait due to blood thinners Apixaban to come out of her system. I've read none of my messages. I will look when I get a proper chance.
 
Great news! Mom has had her op yesterday and today took a few steps with a walker/frame :yay::yes!:
The surgeon had drawn a picture of moms hip on some paper after her X-ray when she was admitted. He said here is your hip. Mom asked where it was broken and he scribbled her hip out and said that was it. She coped marvellously with a spinal anaesthetic X

Please everyone, I thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers. Have overdone it but I'm absolutely fine, honestly, I am just resting, elevating and icing.

Much love to you all
Love Ann xxxx
 
Good news about your mum, you must be very relieved. I hope you both have good recoveries.
All the best.
Tabby xxx
 
I'm very happy to hear your mom got through the surgery and already up and walking a little. Try to take a little time for you to ice and elevate.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom