Guest viewing is limited

TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Happy to hear your Mom is doing well and up and walking :yay:.
She has the advantage of no anticipatory worrying :shocked:that we all go through.
Wishing her continued healing. Remember the best therapy for hips is walking.

Heres the hippie post op reading for your Mom.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Ann, so sorry about your mom's accident, but thankful she is now going to be on the mend. And here's hoping you get a few days to pamper yourself too. Other than this, it sounds like you're doing just fine. Fingers crossed all will stay positive for you for a while. You've earned some easier times for sure!
 
Glad to hear you are both doing well. While it's probably very painful to break a hip, she thankfully didn't have to wait long to have it fixed. You can recover together, icing and cheering each other on.
 
Hi Nana moon , glad to hear you and your Mom are both recovering! Must have been frightening for both of you when she broke her hip.

I've been doing well. LTKR is now 18 months old, RTKR is 8 months old. Life is slowly getting back to normal. Glad both knees are done !!!

Hope you and Mom recover quickly.
 
Thank you so much all. Pumpk1n thanks for the mantras I will be able to share those with her. That's so thoughtful of you :flwrysmile:thank you

My knee is a bit sore still but I've had a really easy day. Elevated, iced rested, slept, made a birthday card, more elevating and painkillers by the clock!

I am going to see mom tomorrow. I didn't go today or yesterday but I did phone her. I felt guilty not going but now I know she's ok I have to get me better!

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Hello, Ann,

I've been away for a couple of weeks, with minimal internet, so I missed most of your news. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's fall, but glad she is doing so well now.

As for you, it sounds as if you are a star! What a difference in your confidence and progress from previous occasions! :yes!: :yay:
I'm so glad everything went well. May this be the end of you knee problems. :prayer:

Love and hugs.
 
Hi all

It's so lovely to hear from you. I hope you're all keeping ok and wish you a good recovery X

Moms doing ok. They kept her in hospital for two weeks. Her scar is quite long and is at the side of the buttock to the side of her hip. It seems to be healing ok. She's started walking a bit with sticks and can now manage the stairs. She prefers the frame but we are encouraging her to try with the sticks when she's not so tired! She has "cabin fever". She's bored but loves it when we visit and chat with her. She gets overwhelmed and tired when her friend phones. I said to mom she must try and keep those calls short or get dad to say she's asleep and will call her later.

Me...I'm doing okay. I'm very tired. My leg really burns at night is the worst. However. The movement op is fabulous. I went for physio assessment and the guy was really pleased and impressed with the strength of my leg. He was very pleased with the improvement in my rom too. I start physio properly this Thursday. He said he thinks my painful foot maybe incorrect gait. We will see. I'm doing a fair bit of housework now and feel more normal than I have for a very long time.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Good to hear you are getting your life back and doing more. Hope the PT can help with your foot pain.
Here is a quote from GreatLakes about how to handle phone calls, I am sure she won't mind if your Mom uses her lines to cut calls short.
1. When I want to cut a phone call short, it's handy to be able to say, sorry, can't talk long, all my pain meds make me drowsy.
Healing thoughts for you and your Mother,
 
So glad to hear your good news (for both of you).
I am on holiday in France again, and my good news is.....I am finding that daily use of the swimming pool here is increasing my bend - TWO YEARS ON!!! I am having lots of exercise, walking, cycling, yoga and swimming, more than I take at home, so maybe that's it, also it is so warm over here, that may be helping but whatever the reason my ROM is definitely better.
Keep up your good work Ann, and I hope you mum continues to do well,
Lyn xx
 
So glad to finally hear good things going your way. Didn't read your back posts but hoping your mom is doing ok
Miss our chats
How's the family?
Love
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart[emoji768]
 
We are thinking about you!!!!a
[Bonesmart.org] Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee
 
@Nana moon 27 So glad you are at the end of knee ops and your Mum is beginning her hip recovery. My knees are certainly letting me know they are not as strong as they should be after the RTHR so recovery is going to take a while. Take care :)
 
Hi all

Hope you're all keeping ok? I'm doing ok. Still some pain but otherwise ok. Going to talk to physio later today about why the back of my neck clicks when my knee joints clunk a bit. Very strange.

Mums doing ok. I managed to get her to go up and down the back garden and out the front she's getting more confident. However, she does have osteoporosis and is going for an infusion or something on Thursday. I'm going with her. The hospital are sending transport and a wheelchair to get her on board, as she still has not been shown how to get into and out of a car. Shes has only had about three visits off the home physios. This is why I've been so involved. They've started to come back out finally. She's nervous and I do try to keep her calm.

@Ellejay @Chihuahuan @susanne so lovely to hear from you. Lyn I'm so pleased your rom has improved further. Susanne, Kitty is as lovely as ever. I will show my granddaughter the pics. Jen, I've been so surprised at the attitude one or two people have been with my mum. Her recovery is on the slow side due to a fall and osteoporosis. Her neighbour told her in no uncertain terms that she should be back to normal now, her brother had his done the same time. He has made a great recovery. I'm pleased for him. Mom was upset and I told her to take no notice. The problem was it set dad thinking mom was not trying hard enough! Anyway, all is ok there.

My great grandson is due next week (I'm rather excited to say the least) xx

Take care all. I will post again after physio xx
 
It's lovely to hear from you, Ann, and so good to know that you are busy getting on with life. I hope your mother continues to progress at her own speed. Sometimes people can be so thoughtless and I'm sorry she was upset by what her neighbour said.

Best wishes! :loveshwr: :friends:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom