TKR Nana Moon's Shiny New Second Knee

Well I've just had an idiot registrar tell me i can go home. The nurses gawped at him.

I can't do stairs, my foot feels very painful if a bit dead, can't do a leg raise seated or lying down or a heel slide. Sitting up. Something not right. The matron said well what about the CPM she still needs that for the next couple of days. He said it's making it worse instead of better.

He said something like my surgeon would see me in four weeks. The PHYSIO came. I got on my crutches nearly went flying but I managed a few steps.

This afternoon I'm going to attempt the stairs. I'm going to take as much pain relief med as I can beforehand. Just grit my teeth and do it. At least at home I can elevate it and ice properly xxx

The Physio in charge has said tomorrow if all goes ok I'll be home.
 
@Jamie my husband has fitted a downstairs toilet and wash hand basin. There is a grab bar there too. I have a frame to fit around and I loaned a recliner off my sis in law. This enables me to live downstairs this time xxx I still need to do the stairs though. If nothing else it will stop some of the isolation xxxx
 
Do you have any stairs to get into and out of your house? Hopefully not. I'm glad you have your "recovery nest" downstairs. That will help so much in these early weeks.
 
This is good news for you, Ann. No sense putting yourself in jeopardy before you are stable enough on your feet to be home. I'm glad you're standing up for yourself with the people who want to boot you out too soon!! Have you been able to see the pain management folks again?
 
Relieved to hear you are staying longer, with your being unsteady you are best at the hospital.
 
That sounds like an excellent plan if you can make it work. My fingers are crossed for you! Sometimes these hospitals are way, way too concerned with bed turnover than they should be! You have a rather unique situation and it makes sense to me that you might need some additional time to get things stabilized....especially for pain management. Can you employ the help of your GP in any of this? Do whatever works!!! No time to be shy! I know you can handle it, as you've been tough enough to get this far with all you've been through.

If it's easier to maneuver with the walker, maybe you should consider using it for a while longer. The main thing is not to risk falling. You had to wait so long for this second knee to be done, I think it makes a difference on how strong you are in the early weeks. At least that was the case with my knees. I was in bad shape for the first one and it was weaker following surgery. My second knee, which I purposely did at the first sign of problems, was so much stronger. But strength and feeling will come. For now stick with gentle movements and some walking about to the bathroom. That's plenty for early days.
 
Ann I know weekends in our hospital it is useless to get real help no doctors about and cover staff it is not a moan about NHS it's just how it is
So you need to speak to someone who knows your history and what you had done glue your butt to that bed and tell them your staying to see your own surgeon hugs
Take care and rest don't let it stress you xxx


20/01/2015
 
If it's any consolation, weekends at US hospitals are just the same....skeleton staffing and not as much going on. Doctors sometimes wander through, but not always. I think it's probably universal....
 
Proud of you. Sometimes we have to stand up. I know in Ky I have to a lot. And sometimes I have to demand. Xxx good luck to ya. Can't wait to see the scar...


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Proud of you. Sometimes we have to stand up. I know in Ky I have to a lot. And sometimes I have to demand. Xxx good luck to ya. Can't wait to see the happy post where ya home and doing well. Great your not going home. Safety is good,u go girl. Have u posted a pic of knee?

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015[/QUOTe


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Well they're discharging me tomorrow. They are sending out a physio home team to help learn how to do stairs as I can't do hospital ones. Thing is ours are very steep XX I still cant lift leg or heel slide. They're sending the pain nurse to come see me tomorrow to sort out ineffective pain med problem xxx
 
Well, not an ideal solution but better than nothing. At least you have a solution for home that will work while you get things sorted out.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
My home physio was wonderful --he talked a lot about the mental side of things. He had me visualize lifting my leg and then lift it -- lo and behold I lifted it a little. It was a matter of reminding the muscles of what to do while taking all the meds.
Hope they sent you home with a zimmer as well as crutches!
I think it's great that you are having home physio --they can help you do what is needed in YOUR home.
I am wondering if you need a bed downstairs for a short time until the stairs are manageable. I used body wash cloths and a dry hair cleaner for a while before I was able to use a shower.
 
I am glad you are going home, and that they are giving you some support with PT, and pain medication. I agree with Chihuahuan about staying down stairs and using body wash, and dry hair cleaner until the stairs become manageable.
:flwrysmile:
 
Good luck tomorrow - I hope you can relax at home and feel comfortable. Warmest wishes.
 
Prayers for you. I'm glad your going home. Maybe the home environment will give you some peace of mind and inspiration.

I hope the pain team have resolved your pain and got you all the answers you need for management at home.

I pray the pt can help you to. I remember took me about 2-4 weeks before I could do leg lifts. I was scared. But all on here said no worries.


Best of luck. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hugs to you. I am glad they are releasing you tomorrow after a pain consult and with home PT. Being home does feel so much better than the hospital.
 
Back
Top Bottom