Guest viewing is limited

THR My trip down recovery lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH. Your "Northwest" location makes me think of Washington, Oregon, Idaho area.
West of the Cascade mountains (like Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Tacoma, WA) are notoriously rainy. That's where the "wetland" comes from.
East of the Cascades (Spokane, WA; Redmond, OR; Idaho) are notoriously sunnier, etc.

So when you say "too much rain" it makes me wonder where you're from. :)

There you have it!
 
So I have officially ditched the cane! I'm working 9:00 to 4:00 this week and will go back full time next week. I feel great. I am so aware of every step I take and how there is no pain anymore. It continually amazes me that
3-1/2 weeks ago I was in agony. Energy drain is still an issue and I anticipate it will be around for a while. I am grateful for the recovery I am having so far and for all the support I received here. Thank you all!
 
Wow!! Ditched the cane already! I'm quite jealous! I'm nowhere near being able to ditch the cane. I can take the occasional step or two without a support but there is no way I can walk without it. Hopefully soon. Good on you!
 
@Jp9294 That is fabulous!! I'm so happy for you. I hope to be back to work in the same time frame too. I am also amazed at how my pain level is better now than before surgery. I am more comfortable sleeping/sitting/walking now than before surgery. I would tell anyone hesitating on surgery to DO IT! It will change your life. :dancy:
 
@bamagirl I couldn't agree more. So glad you are doing so well. When are you doing the other hip?
 
@Jp9294 I am planning on doing my other hip in April. Should be the third Friday in April. My surgeon does surgeries at the local hospital once per month. This month I was his only patient. Easy day for him!
 
@bamagirl I couldn't agree more. So glad you are doing so well. When are you doing the other hip?
@Jp9294 I read your entire thread. your recovery is inspiring! I started strength training 2 weeks ago (2x a week) for my surgery in August. I felt that winter will delay my recovery time. I had knee surgery (lateral menscetomy) during the winter in 2011 and that wasn't fun. I plan to return to bikrham yoga in the spring and continue up to day of surgery.
Kinda of yoga did you do ?
I amazed that you've returned to work in 3 weeks!
 
@Jp9294 Hi There! Your story is really inspiring to me. I have had OA for many years in my left hip and recently learned I have spurs in my right hip as well. In recent months the pain has escalated.
I have put off surgery because I feel I should wait as long as I can. I am doing physical therapy and it is helping with the pain and mobility, but the cold here is killing me!
I live in NJ and I have friends that live in Long Island. I work in New York City. I saw a surgeon at HSS for the posteria approach but I am not sure I would want to go that route. He would have scheduled the surgery right then (Oct) but I wasn't ready. I saw another surgeon in NJ (Jan) and he said to keep what God gave me for as long as I can. I kind of agree. He is the one who sent me for Physical Therapy.

I was wondering if you mind sharing with me what doctor did your surgery at HSS?
The doctor I saw in NJ said I will definitely need surgery in 6 months to a year. UGH! I just don't like the hospital he is affiliated with in NJ, not a great rating etc..
I saw Dr. Mayman at HSS and as I mentioned he does the posteria approach, I have a very demanding job and like that you have been able to work so soon! Where do you live on the Island? Best Regards, Sara
 
@Sfina48, I used Dr. Michael Alexiades and he was wonderful! He did the anterior approach and my recovery has been going quite smoothly. I did a lot of research and actually chose Hospital for Special Surgery because it had one of the lowest infection rates in the country. I also knew I wanted the anterior approach as I needed to get back to work sooner rather than later. My decision to do the surgery came after years of suffering with OA pain. It got progressively worse and my world was getting smaller and smaller. I was able to do yoga right up to the day before my surgery (with modifications of course) but all other activities stopped. I was not living my life anymore. It has been the best decision I have ever made. Best of luck to you.
 
@rettabetta, thank you for your kind words. I am also amazed at my recovery. I was very nervous, like everyone else beforehand, but so glad I decided to do it! I take mostly vinyasa classes, but like Hatha, Yin, and even Restorative yoga. I have begun following some chair yoga videos on YouTube, but will wait for my six week check up with my OA before doing any other kind of yoga. Best of luck to you.
 
Jackie, so glad you are doing so well. Your recovery story has made getting to the surgery for me so much easier. I went on my first short little outing today 9 days post op. Was tired when I got home but no pain. Continue with the updates, love reading them!!
 
@fulafoto, no worries. I am not doing anything stupid. Slow and steady is my motto. Not looking for any setbacks. Thanks
 
@mystikfairy61, good for you! I am so happy my recovery has helped you. I am so grateful it has gone this well for me. I am still dealing with the energy drain. Can't do more than go into office and then come home and get on the couch. But that's fine with me. At least I'm not in pain anymore! More snow heading this way. So sick of the cold. I can't wait to feel the warm sun on my skin!
 
@Jp9294. Jackie....so glad things are going so well for you and your back to work. I'm encouraged by your recovery and know I can so do this :)....So happy for u my friend :) :egypdance::happydance::flwrysmile:
 
@Jp9294 go girl! So thrilled your recovery is continuing so well. You've got the best attitude (always have!). I still feel the energy drain at 10 weeks! Enjoy the couch! Sending warm thoughts...xoxo
 
@Jp9294 - great update... The energy drain hit me hard when I went back to work at 7 weeks. Of course we are all different, it hung around 12 weeks, then suddenly gone.. Good for you getting back into your yoga (seated)! It is nice to feel a wee bit normal again :)
 
@Jp9294 Thank you for sharing the doctors name. He is the doctor I see at the website when I search for the Anterior approach. I like this hospital as well and will more than likely have surgery there when the time comes, just not sure which doctor..Will continue with my research.
I wish you continued success in your recovery and thank you for your reply. Best Regards, Sara
 
Monday will be five weeks post op and my first appt with my OS is on the 11th of March. Looking forward to hearing how he thinks I'm doing. I have not done any PT aside from walking and a little recumbent biking, so I'm interested to see if he will have me begin now. I really want to know when he will give me the green light go back to yoga, as I am really missing my practice.

I am back to work full time and I am finally seeing improvement in the energy drain. Life is getting back to normal and my hip is no longer dictating my every move, which is quite refreshing. I am so grateful every morning when I take that first pain free step of my day! Normal feels so good and it is all we hippies strive for when we begin this journey. And this forum has made this journey so much easier for me as well. I Cant even imagine what it would have been like without all my BS friends. Once again, thank you to all!

Well today it is going to be a balmy 50 degrees in NY and I am planning to get out there and enjoy the mild weather. I heard it may hit 60 this week. Spring is finally coming! Take good care everyone.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom