Guest viewing is limited

THR My trip down recovery lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jp9294 Ditto on tenderness around incision. My incision is glued, and I am trying so hard to stay off that area...even though doc said no restrictions.
The hospital started me on 1 stool softener a day, when I got home 2 days later, I started 2 per day. I think I read Josephine post on this somewhere. I am using just over the counter equate 100 mg 2x per day, and I am having 2 small glasses of prune juice during the day. This has worked perfectly for me, but I guess the recipe is different for everyone.
I am seeing my PCP tomorrow morning just to have his opinion on incision since my OS is 5 hrs away. And I have an in-home PT consult tomorrow afternoon. When will I nap??
I am icing and elevating operated leg a bunch. Trying to take it easy.
Glad to hear your progress is going well..
 
Wow @Jp9294 you are doing so well.

The first time it rained here after my THR which was about 6 weeks after the surgery, I really empathised with all the people who recover in the wet and snow....it must be a real challenge and slip hazard

Take care and keep up the good work
 
Thanks for all the suggestions! I would definitely say this is the WORST part of the journey! Beginning to get that cabin fever feeling and yet another ice/snow storm heading this way.:snow dig:

Planning to head to the office on Monday at least for a few hours and really looking forward to the change in scenery! That is if the roads are clear of ice and snow. It has been a brutal winter here in the Northeast and I, for one, can't wait for Spring!
 
I feel for you:) That is why I moved to florida for college and never went back!!! Hope you will be able to get to the office.. I am hoping to go by to say good bye to my seniors like 2 1/2 weeks after my surgery in may... we will see:)
Feel great!!!
 
Day 12 - Forecasting 2" - 5" of snow today. I cannot believe this winter!!! Just want to get out of the house and DO anything. (Except make snow angels). In home PT coming shortly. Guess that will be the excitement for the day (****). I feel really good today. Think I'm turning a corner. No narcotics in a couple of days and pain is kind of twingy, nothing more. Keep getting up and forgetting the cane, but do realize after a few steps I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to it. When do you think I can begin getting on my recumbent bike? Don't want to push it, but looking for a new activity! Be well my BS friends and please think warming thoughts for the Northeast. I need to get out of this house! :gaah:
 
@Jp9294
My suggestion would be to wait on the bike. You are still healing inside for several weeks. See what your PT has for you today. And if you do some actual PT in addition to consult, then wait to see how you feel the next couple of days. PT was enlightening for me. My ROM is almost nothing and I was in pretty good shape before surgery.

Glad you are doing very well...let us know how PT goes today.

Also, I'm guessing Josephine will be along and she can give some guidance on the bike.

Flgirlie
 
Hi Jackie,,,hope I find you well...You sound great!!! I know what you mean by cabin fever:gaah:. I'm becoming a pro driving to work in snow storms lol...good grief!!!!! ENOUGH. It looks like Alaska here. Snow mountains all over. So are you happy with you decision with surgery? I have to decide well no HAVE to:umm: but I see my Doctor next week...ugh...I had penciled myself in for his 3/10 schedule. He says I'm not the worse patient he has seen but my pain is pretty intense and has gotten worse over the past months. I'm just scared:scary:...Its just the unknown....you tend to worry about negative things ..did you? He does the anterior approach to. I have googled to death all about it. Good grief I have to stop that....So I'm just not saying yeah I'm having surgery yet LOL LOL....:yikes:... But it would be really nice to... feel no pain..to sleep through the night...to bend over to pick something up..and on and on..lol..Just tell me your doing great girl......:SUNsmile:
 
Day 14 - Today I went back to work! I took two Tylenol and was at the office by 9:00. It felt so good to be there. But definitely started yawning around 12:30. My boss is an incredibly nice man told me he was happy to have me back but not to overdue it, so I left at 2:30. Then I came home, got into bed and rested for about an hour and a half. Then, one of my clients called (I am a realtor also) and wanted to see a house at 5:00. So I got up and went to show her the house. About mid way through the showing I began to feel my energy drain. I got home about 7:15 and I am wiped out. I'm elevating, icing, and took a tramodol in anticipation of some pain, but really I just feel tired. Before my surgery, I would be in intense pain. I am so happy those days are behind me!

I have decided to stay home tomorrow (with the help of my wonderful boss) as it is going to snow again! I will rest up and go into office on Wednesday.

@chaseyboy, my first appointment with my surgeon was on January 14th and when I called for a surgery date the next day, expecting a 3 month wait, they told me they had a cancellation for February 3rd. I was shocked and scared out of my mind, but I took the date. I thought about canceling it a thousand times in the 3 weeks leading up to it, but I am so happy I didn't. I AM PAIN FREE!!! NO REGRETS. BEST DECISION EVER!! I promise that is the way you will feel. Be strong, think positive thoughts! You can do this!
 
Thank you @mystikfairy61! And the best of luck to you for tmro! You are going to do great!!!
 
Hi jackie. @Jp9294 .....glad you are doing ok.

I would hold off on the cycling...I know I was advised to leave it until 12 weeks...however it may be different for your approach

So sorry the snow is still playing havoc in your part of the world
 
Well I absolutely overdid it yesterday and have been in bed all day today recuperating. Have not felt well all day. My hip feels okay, just same tenderness, but I have a headache, I been hot and cold all day, and just exhausted. As @DrToonz had said in one of his posts, you have to OVERDO IT to understand what OVERDOING IT means. I now know. Going to go into the office tmro, but leave early and do nothing else but rest when I come home. Slow and steady wins the race!!
 
@Jp9294, I hear you sister! I was supposed to back to work yesterday, but had to delay a day after overdoing it throughout the weekend. Went to work today and could only make it 4 hours. Came home and took a nap for 2 hours. It sounds like we both need to ease into this return-to-work thing :)
 
Hi Jackie...so glad you are ok....Just take it slow..:).....I have my "hip class" on Thursday. I am assuming they will tell me all the things about my surgery. I know so much from BS that I could probably teach the class :rotfl: I am so glad you have had a nice recovery. Enough with the snow already..you send it to New England and we have nowhere to put it. We just got 8 more inches ontop of the 13 we got 4 days ago yikes!!!!!!!!!! :) Take care of yourself my friend :) :snow dig:
 
Take it easy Jackie.
I met my OS yesterday. I asked what to expect in terms of going back to work.
He said 3 weeks.
I said 'what'????!!!!!
He looked at me like an alien.
Seriously, BS advocates 10 weeks or so.
I was aghast! He said he wouldn't lie. UGH.
Please take it slow and easy as you can. Smiles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom