THR My trip down recovery lane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone! Best of luck to all who are recovering! And for those of you waiting for your day, spend less time worrying and more time focusing on how wonderful your life is going to be when this is over. I have read the most amazing recovery stories here and the majority all say what a waste of time all their worry was (me included). Stay positive and take care!
 
Jackie I am sure writing and sharing your recovery story has been as cathartic for you as it has been inspirational for those of us who will soon follow the same path.

Your updates and the specific details of how you've faced each day has been so helpful...I was holding my breath about the "pop" and glad it wasn't anything serious...(I had a similar noise after my TKR a year ago and my OS said it was scar tissue breaking loose so I was hoping that for you).

I have to admit I felt like you were rushing and doing to much too soon, but it has worked for you and you listened to your body and did what you needed to do.

I have learned from your story and many others here on BS and feel ready to face my THR on March 24 (I think).

Thank you! Continued success in your recovery!
Pam
 
@AndisMom, thank you for your kind words. I am so happy my story has helped you. I had held off doing this surgery for such a long time, both out of fear and because I thought the recovery was going to be months and I didn't have the kind of job with that much time off. However, in the end, it all worked out fine. It may have seemed like I was rushing, but I was listening to my body and I did let it dictate what I needed. I am still doing that. My little "pop" incident was my body telling me "ok, you may feel good, but you are not completely healed!" I am back to "slow and steady wins the race." Best of luck to you on the 24th! I'll be reading your updates with great interest and hoping your recovery goes seamlessly.
 
Please I get more than enough TAGS without being tagged in the course of conversation - thank you very much
 
Hi @Jp9294 ! How's the recovery?

It has been a month since I've began to incorporate exercise into my schedule.
I got the impression that it helps a lot during recovery.

I saw an ad on TV about the hospital for surgery and I was telling myself "why does the name sound familiar?" *ding* it was from your thread! Can you tell me about your experience at the Hospital for Special Surgery? Although I have my date set at Lenox Hill, I'm curious because I've never heard of this hospital.


thanks in advance!
 
@rettabetta, I chose HSS because their infection rate is one of the lowest in the country and they only perform orthopedic surgeries. After choosing the hospital, I then researched doctors who performed the anterior approach and came up with dr Alexiades. It was a great experience. Best of luck to you!
 
Well tomorrow will be 7 weeks post op and the healing continues. I wake up feeling great every day; no pain at all, feel like I am completely healed. However, after a full day of activity my leg and foot will swell and I feel exhaustion like I've never felt before. I elevate and ice for a while and then go to bed to get my 8 hours which I definitely need these days. I walked in my neighborhood for the first time the other day and I felt so good. However, the shin splints I felt the next couple of days were so painful. My body is definitely out of shape from so little activity. I need to begin a routine exercise program, nothing crazy, just do something every day, as I'm beginning to think I have not done enough. Still on the fence about asking my OS for a prescription for PT. He said I don't really need it as long as I walk a lot, but what's a lot? Probably should have asked him that. I want to get back to yoga when I hit 3 months, but I'm afraid I wont have the confidence in my new hip. Will I be able to know what I can and can't do intuitively? I just don't know. I'm sorry to be rambling. I'm sure in another 5 weeks I will look back at this and laugh at myself. I know I just need to be patient.

I just heard they are forecasting a Nor'easter for Tuesday with at least 6 inches of snow! You have got to be kidding me. Have a great day everyone!
 
Makes me so happy to hear how great you are doing my friend.!!! Waiting to get there... and I know I will:)Now if you could just get that long island weather to cooperate!
 
@Jp9294 Jackie, sounds like things have progressed wonderfully!! I have been watching your thread to see how things are continuing for you and this was fantastic news!! I hope by the time I reach 7 weeks that I will have more energy as well. I will be 5 weeks out Tuesday. Hip feels great but there is still some energy drain going on. But based on what I have read from you, I can look forward to that getting better in the near future!! Keep up the great work and continue to keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
So tomorrow is 8 weeks post op for me and there are times that I feel so good it is hard to believe I even had this surgery. I had a busy day today which started early and ended late and I suddenly realized that the dreaded energy drain is pretty much gone! I still try to ice at night before bed and whenever I feel a bit sore. I do not take Tylenol regularly anymore, just when I feel any type of discomfort which is not often. I did bend over the other day and threw my back out, but went for a massage and that worked wonders! Since the weather is finally improving, I will begin my walking routine. I am thinking I will also take my first yoga class Thursday; restorative yoga, which is all done on the floor and poses are all supported with props. I stopped by my yoga studio today to see my fellow yogis, whom I miss so much, and one of them asked me if I had "work done" as I looked 15 years younger! Of course after I stopped laughing I told her it must be that the "veil of pain has been lifted!"

Today was a good day! So grateful for this new beginning! Take care all....
 
Oh my goodness Jackie that is funny :rotfl:. It could be that plastic surgeons go out of business for orthopedic surgeons :shocked:.
Really good that you are going along so well - I am so pleased for you :thumb:
 
@Jp9294 Hi Jackie...Can you believe 2 months already wow. I can officially say less than month I will be on the otherside..Yeah for 4/30. As you know, It has been such a loooooong winter here. I look forward to the nicer weather and getting out walking again. I think that alone will make me feel so much better and help my day to day progress... So happy to hear you are doing well. You are such an inspiration to all of us with all your encouraging posts. :egypdance::martini:
 
Sounds so good Jackie! I know what you mean about being a little nervous about how much to do. At six weeks, my doctor told me no restrictions except to take movements slowly like bending over - if it feels ok, keep going but don't make sudden hard movements. I can now touch my toes, tie my shoes, cut my toenails - I love it! Hadn't been able to do those things for quite some time before surgery... If you take the yoga slowly, you will do fine.
 
So tonight I went to my first yoga class and it felt awesome! Of course it was only Restorative Yoga, but I felt so energized afterward. I have a long road ahead of me to get where I was in my practice prior to surgery, but I am determined to get there. I will continue on the slow and steady path, and get there when I get there. Today was a great day!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom