THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Arlene56
How sad that you went through the blood draw ordeal for naught! I've always been a hard draw & drinking lost of water sometimes helps.

My dad died almost 3 years ago & this week he would have been 96. I've been thinking about him so much the last 2 weeks. We too used to go fishing & camping a lot. I'm fortunate to still have my mom who is 92. She lives 900 miles from me & I go see her as often as I can. I'm thankful for my brother & sister-in-law & niece & her children who live within a mile of her & keep her entertained & see to her safety.

I understand the need for hugs--it's such a human need & usually a treasured memory from our childhood. I have to think your parents are sending you hugs from above!

As I was reading your post about your parents I was thinking about the vulnerability surgery brings to us. That's when we need family most.

I'm so glad today is a sunny day. Hopefully you can get out & walk,more. Being in nature helps our spirits. Take care of yourself & feel the virtual hugs & support of your BS family!
 
@SweetPea69
Thank you for your kind words.
Wow. Your mom is 92 hrs old. That's wonderful. It's nice that there is family around for her. We have wonderful memories with our parents and that is important. It sustains us.
It's raining and rather cold here today. Hopefully tomorrow will be dry to walk.
Hope you are having a good day!
 
@Pumpkln @Josephine
I just found out that I may have been wiping myself incorrectly for the past 4 wks. I'm so nervous that this will increase my chance of dislocation. Information would be very, very helpful.
 
@Pumpkln @Josephine

I have a question. I am a few days short of 5 wks postop. My incision is dong well. No redness,3 small scabs and still abit swollen. There is a small portion of my incision and below where it pinches and feels like I
have a bad bruise feeling. I try putting ice on that area but it hurts and stings. I had the same problem when the stitches were still in. What could this be?

Secondly, on a different part of the incision sometimes it feels like I am sitting on a towel. That gets better after I ice. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Arlene56 Are you wrapping any ice pack in a towel before placing it on your incision? At only five weeks out you still have lots of angry soft tissues. Icing will help ease this swelling. The sitting on a towel feeling is also swelling. Just keep icing. This will ease.
 
@Jaycey
Thank you. Yes I do wrap the ice pack in a towel. So you don't believe it would be the start of an infection? Sorry just paranoid at the moment. It doesn't hurt when I walk

Thanks again for your input. You all are a blessing to me
 
Hello and sorry I've not always caught up in your posts. Either I miss them or don't get them flagged up. More likely the former (brain fog!) I can't help with incision queries (but someone in the know will) and I was sad to hear you got so low. I do understand.

Both my parents have passed on (deeply missed) and I don't associate it's with my 2 sisters. Mum died back in the 70s when I was in my early 20s and Dad remarried later on and was happily married for many years up until his death. My stepmother had no children, brothers or sisters and her parents had also died. She was only around my age when she started to show signs of what was believed to be Alzheimer's. Her behaviour was very odd and it became clear to me that she was having great difficulty managing her life. Then she started to have falls when our walking her dog and on 3 occasions we rushed to A&E to rescue her. Eventually after months in hospital she was declared unable to care for herself but it was clear that she needed someone to manage her care.

Both my sisters said they didn't like her, didn't want anything to do with her ("but if there's anything left after she's gone we'll have it") I was shocked at their callousness. I took on the formal role of deputising and it was quite arduous and lonely (but for the wonderful support of my husband) I simultaneously needed to find a suitable care home near to me, clear and refurbish her home so it was suitable for rental (to support her fees) sort out her extremely jumbled finances and keep a close eye on her needs.

Eventually after a few years she was diagnosed with a rare degenerative brain disease and she died. Her demeanour had altered progressively and she became angry and would hit out and call me names. I knew this wasn't the real stepmother I had known for so many years - almost like somebody had taken her away and replaced her with someone who slightly resembled her physically. Every time I visited I would drive away in tears. It seemed so cruel to see her like that - I worried about what was torturing her mind. She seemed so frightened and vulnerable.

When we got the call from her care home in the early hours to say that she had been admitted to hospital we went straight there and I sat with her for 18 hours holding her hand and talking to her about happy times. She was calm and sedated and would squeeze my fingers and smile so I knew she could hear. During those years my sisters never enquired after her, visited or even rang the care home. As soon as she died you wouldn't believe their level of activity.

Forgive this ramble - you just made me things abut the value of people we've lost and want back, especially when we're feeling particularly low ourselves. Hang on to those precious memories. They are our inheritance. But never underestimate the strength of the BoneSmart brigade of friends. For me they are so true and honest and frank - and more to the point unfailingly there for everyone of us. Taking the time to chip in, enquire or just say hello means more than anything to me. I hope you feel the same.
 
So you don't believe it would be the start of an infection? Sorry just paranoid at the moment.
I doubt it but let's tag @Josephine for her advice. Can you post an image of the area - might help her to better advise.
 
on a different part of the incision sometimes it feels like I am sitting on a towel.
It's the deeper part of your incision where the surgeon got access to the hip joint. In other words, it's a normal part of recovery and normal swelling! Don't forget, swelling is pain so make sure you are taking your pain meds!

Puts me in the mind of the time I decided to start riding lessons. My first lesson lasted 1½hours and when I got home, I couldn't wait to get into a nice hot bath as I was aching all over! But I had the strangest thing - I thought I was sitting on my bath sponge but there it was in front of me! Turned out it was my sit-upon! I had two big swelling where my bum made contact with the saddle and being made to do a rising trot had caused it! Took a good few days to settle down until which time I did a pretty good John Wayne impression when I walked!
 
@Jaycey @Josephine
Hello. Haven't been on for a few days. Recovery going well until this morning. My calf muscles are really cramping up today. It also resonates to my shin as well. I can't put all of my weight on my surgerical leg due to the cramping. Even when I dangle my leg off of the bed and elevate my leg, it hurts. Incision is great though. What should I do?
 
@Jaycey
What do you think about taking a magnesium supplement for the leg cramps? I have had leg cramps a few times, but they disappeared after taking 400 Mg's of magnesium for two or three days. I've also taken the magnesium for constipation and it worked like a charm. My PCP said it was fine to take it, but I'm not sure if there would be any contradictions for @Arlene56 to try it. Your thoughts?
 
@Jaycey @Cynthia777
Thank you for your help. Icing doesn't hurt. Today I have been drinking lots of water and took some Advil. It appears that has helped a lot today. Not doing my daily walks today. Just resting. I will ask Dr on Monday about the Magnesium. Thank you all once again!
Enjoy your wkend!!
 
Hi @Arlene56

I don't think you'll find cramping is unusual or anything to worry about. I do get it quite a bit myself anyway and have had it on my operated leg regularly! My op was 08 March

The advice on here is spot on, ie easy hamstring stretches, plus plenty of water

Keep up the good work!
Peter
 
@PS46
There are lots of aches and pains. Erggg. We have the same surgery date! When are you going to your 6 wk postop? Can't believe it's been 6 wks already. Wonder what it will feel like in another 6 wks?? I go on Monday for my 6wk. Besides xrays, I wonder what else they will be doing?
Well just took some Advil and a half of a pain pill. Hope to get some good sleep tonight. I haven't taken any naps for a few days. I try to but can't for some reason.
Hope you are doing well. Have a good wkend
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom