Guest viewing is limited

THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sneaker:
In hospital, the only way I could get out of bed (there was a stop at the end) was on the right hand side. So, I thought I had to do it at home, until I realised I could just slight straight out of bed in about two seconds. Ridiculous
. Sorry to pick up on something @PS46 said. I was told I have to get into bed good leg first (in my case that's the left one) which coincidentally works well at home as that's the more convenient side (wall is too close the other side). .... Just didn't know how I would cope when I have the other one done. But am I guessing from what you're saying that it actually doesn't matter?
 
@Arlene56 - so sorry you've had a tough time. You're right to speak out about your needs. I do believe our other halves may have difficulty understanding what we've been through and are still going through. It may be that yours is fearful or possibility anxious about whether you will fully recover. Mine for instance admitted he expected me to be in a really bad way when he first visited hours after my surgery. It's a long process. He will come to understand that you will get there it just takes time and patience.
 
@Miss Muffet Hope you are recovering well. Yes, our other halves sometimes just want to hurry up the process in order to get life back to normal. Totally understand though as I want to hurry up the recovery but you really can't. It's amazing how our bodies won't allow us to
hurry the recovery.

Hope you have a good wk!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Miss Muffet

I am just trying to recall the exact position of the bed when I was in hospital. I think it was the most convenient way in terms of what happened next, eg walking to the bathroom, or towards the door - my means of escape
It was not easy, as my right leg was the operated one and that was my direction of travel and so I had to use the overhead grabs, whilst simultaneously inching myself towards the right. The nurses were there to begin with and sometimes helped, but it seemed to be ok. It was just a slow, gradual movement, with no strenuous wrenching, or anything like that

When I was back at home, using the same logic, sliding straight down the bed just seemed the easiest thing to do!

Hi @Arlene56 - hope you are doing well. Agree with your previous comments

Peter
 
. Sorry to pick up on something @PS46 said. I was told I have to get into bed good leg first (in my case that's the left one) which coincidentally works well at home as that's the more convenient side (wall is too close the other side). .... Just didn't know how I would cope when I have the other one done. But am I guessing from what you're saying that it actually doesn't matter?
I was told the same thing and I worry for hip#2 because my bed is against a wall and I won't be able to do that. I'm going to ask when I see the physio next because my Lady Lair is so perfect otherwise that I don't want to have to change anything! I will let you know what they say!
 
@Miss Muffet - have just re read your post
The other side to what I said is that I could only get into bed using my "good" leg first in hospital. I am sure it was just coincidence that my bed was positioned that way, but maybe that is why I continued In the same manner when I was back home ...

Think I may have overdone the walking at the weekend (gig etc) so will try to have a quiet day today

Memo to self - remember the BS mantras
 
Thanks @Zelda - my problem precisely. Although my bed isn't bang against the wall it is very close and I just wouldn't have enough room to manoeuvre. From what @PS46 is saying (if I read this right) we would just need to shuffle down the bed and exit that way. I didn't have the luxury of an overhead grab in hospital (wow was he spoiled!). What I have realised is the importance of upper body strength because plus my "good" leg was what I relied on to shift myself around. Another good incentive for ditching these few extra pounds before hip 2.
@Arlene56 - yes, it is simply a process and the very very experienced advice here from Jo, Jaycey and Jamie repeat over and over that we shouldn't spoil our chances by overdoing things. My OS told me before I was discharged that my body would largely dictate to me what was ok and not OK. They are our barometers. Your husband will realise I'm sure that the slow and steady approach will reap benefits long term. I do honestly still feel that mine fostered a whole heap of pent up fears on my behalf, which he didn't let on about. They just want to see us well again, but a little chat can work wonders. Hope each day will improve bit by bit for you
 
Holding my ground is important to me for an uneventful recovery. My family will just have to deal with it abit more with compassion.
I had a major problem with family and friends post both THRs. My OH is one of these people who will run a mile from anything medical. Post both ops he just went on like it was nothing more than getting my toenails clipped. And I too had the "discussion" about just how much I could do and when. Unfortunately some people just don't get it and they never will.

Stand your ground firmly my friend! Get this recovery right and you have a lifetime of pain free living. Get it wrong and you could have more problems than just recovery discomfort.

That hip will tell you when it's time to add more activity. Don't be pushed into anything. Chores will get done - but no one will die if the laundry sits for a bit. All in good time!
 
I copied and saved all the BS recovery advice and relayed it to my OH. What you and I have spent some time boning up on (pun) they aren't actually aware of, so naturally they're trailing behind. Takes a little time to ease them into catch up mode. It's too easy to assume they fully appreciate all the intricacies of this process. Better to have a calm discussion than wait for things to intrude on your marital harmony.
As I've mentioned before, it is in fact OUR hip replacement after all. The clearer the understanding the better we got along. Less sniping, more routine = more harmony. :friends:
Our sense of humour has also recovered :heehee:
 
@Miss Muffet
Thank you for your advice. Avoid
being snipie is great advice. Humor goes
along way as that is what I have been using the past few wks. Humor really works!! Thanks for great advice!
 
@Arlene56 I just caught up on your thread, so sorry you were having such a difficult time with the hubby. I don't have a hubby and I depend on my daughter for my recoveries, this is the third major surgery and she is wonderful. The last hip I had done, I remember getting very snippy, but it had a lot to do with depending on someone else to get household things done, or put the shower bench in the shower or drive you to the store. This time has been much easier and we know what to expect from each other. She works full time and by the time the weekend gets here I am very stir crazy and just want to get out of the house and she just wants to spend her Saturday either sleeping or just laying around. I have learned to rephrase my words and questions and to be a bit patient. :heehee:

I also read on your post op visit that your OS said you could get on your bike, have you tried it yet? I can't wait to get back on my bike! I'm going on my 4th week of recovery and I don't see my OS for my second post op visit until May 16th. My mind is itching to do more things but my hip and body haven't caught up to my mind yet! LOL!

I hope things continue to get better for you.
 
@sunsetbiking
Glad to hear that your daughter is a great help to you. Rewording is always a good thing. Sometimes when I want to be snippy, I have been trying to stop and take a deep breath and reword or make ir humorous. Not so easy to do at times. :heehee:

I have not tried riding my bike yet. Guess I am kinda a scaredy cat. Sometimes it still feels like I am sitting on a rolled up towel. So my plan is to try and sit on a recumbent bike at the gym on Wednesday. Starting with a new PT tomorrow who incorporates Pilates into recovery. I love Pilates. So we shall see what happens tomorrow.

Hope your recovery is fond well. Hope the weather is starting to feel springy
 
@Arlene56 I totally understand the scaredy cat feeling.
That's great your new PT incorporates Pilates into your sessions, I have never tried Pilates. I just had my daughter look at my incision to verify that it's completely healed and no scabs, I want to be able to go to water aerobics. She politely or controlling said "you can't drive yet" I rolled my eyes at her and said I haven't taken any narcotics during the day, just Tylenol. I think she enjoys being the gate keeper or the Warden! :heehee:

The weather is trying to feel springy....It's Michigan and everyday is different.
 
Hello @Cynthia777
Hope your recovery is going smoothly. Aren't you glad it's behind you now?? Let the living begin!
I'm doing well. No problems to speak of. Still have some stiffness in my knee and my leg is still a tad bit swollen. I have been walking 2 miles a day or so without pain. I still ice after my walk and at night. So things are going well. Have my 3 month in a few wks. Looking forward to being restriction free. :)
I still read people's stories a few times a wk.
thanks for reaching out. Will continue to get read about your great recovery. :flwrysmile:
 
@Arlene56
So glad to hear you are doing well! 2 miles a day is great!!! I'm about the same time out as you & I average about a mile a day. I'm going back to OS on Tuesday for a much delayed 6 week post op appointment & am anxious for his assessment.
Keep up the good work; it helps inspire me! Hope it's a great day for you & a pretty weekend.
SweetPea69
 
@Josephine
Hello Josephine. I am 12 wks postop. I was wondering when I will be able to bend down and touch my toes and also trim my toe nails. Even though I have always been inflexible, I was able to at least trim nails up to about a month prior to surgery. Also. I do have back pain at times but has always bothered me. There was a brief time during early recovery that I didn't have back pain. Maybe I should go see if I have arthritis in my back. I have my 3 month coming up on Thursday. Also, when can one sleep on stomach? (I had posterior). I have been sleeping on non-surgical side with the pillows between my legs for 2 wks. When can one stop using the pillows?

I just hope that my hip didn't move and that is why I am experiencing occasional back ache ??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom