THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @Arlene56 - good to see you posting. Was minded to check up on you - and then up you popped! Cannot quite believe you're at 12 weeks already. I'm only just over 6 weeks and have a way to go to gain more flexibility. Have been sleeping on operated side now (without pillow) for past couple of weeks (and had posterior), with permission, which seems comfortable and a nice change from back sleeping. Am sure Jo will have good advice re your back pain. I have to say I get muscular pains in odd parts of my back and initially put it down to using crutches, which I've now ditched. I feel I could do with a really nice massage. Let's see want she has to say. Otherwise I hope things are going well.
 
@Miss Muffet
Hope you are doing well. The good news about my inflexibility is that I can put lotion on my surgical leg. Not to the foot but almost to the ankle. I have been working on flexibility more and more.
Have a nice wkend and hope things are going well
 
@Arlene56 Hello!
I asked my physio about being able to put my socks on and trim my toenails and she said it would take a while for the movement to come back but to keep trying and the motion would get easier. My surgeon said improvements in range and flexibility happen up to a year from the operation and, again, just to keep trying.

I'm sure the back ache is just your body getting used to your increased activity and moving differently now you have the new hip. I'm impressed that you're managing two miles!
 
Zelda is correct. 12 weeks is still pretty early in the scheme of things. I think people generally get to do that around 15 weeks or more so you're nearly there!
 
Had my 3 months postop surgeon visit this past Thursday. No restrictions other than no running which is fine with me and antibiotics before dental work and GYN etc. So I returned the shower seat, raised toliet seat and walker to the rental store. It was really a good feeling to do that.

The Dr gave me some tips to massage my IT band as it gets a bit tender at times. But other than that, it was a good visit.

Yesterday I walked in the morning and went to the mall with my husband. I wasn't in any pain walking at the mall. That is a miracle as preop, I would be in so much pain walking even after a few minutes. So it was great being pain free!!!

To those of you on the fence about surgery, take the plunge. It will change your life for good. Sure there might be a few bumps in the road but those are just temporary. THR is truly amazing and life changing. I have my life back and it just gets better and better each and every day!!

Thank you to all of my hippy friends for your support and encouragement along the way!! You all are angels :angel:in my book. Blessings to all for your recoveries. :flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
@Arlene56, that is just music to my ears! How lovely! I'm laughing, too, about the "no running" restriction, as all I want to be able to do is to walk pain-free and with no limp, like you. May you enjoy your recovering self to the fullest.
 
How wonderful Arlene! I'm so happy for you! I never thought I'd see the day when I would be overjoyed just to be able to walk without pain. Your recovery has gone so well and will be an inspiration to many who follow. :loveshwr:
 
@Krista @Zelda @Cynthia777
Thank you for your kind words!!:) Bonesmart is just a true blessing for all of us going thru this surgery. This forum breaths peace and comfort.

Another funny thing with all of this is the sleeping. Preop I loved loved loved sleeping on my stomach. It was hard sleeping on back at first postop. Now that I have the ok to sleep how I want, I actually love sleeping on my back and side more. I have tried rolling over onto stomach (painfree of course now :yahoo:) but I roll back over onto back and sleep soundly. (Ahhhh). Plus I do enjoy sleeping with a pillow between my legs when on my side. Wow. Never thought my sleeping positions would change. :rotfl: (Literally, that's me rolling from back to side painfree and quickly as well---not struggling)

Here's to living life to the fullest without pain. :cheers::spin::dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Arlene56

Hello my friend! I've missed you! I see you tagged me back in June, but I never received it, so I'm so sorry. It's funny you mention how your sleeping position has changed. I was also a stomach sleeper, but now I only sleep on my side. I didn't have any restrictions, so I started side sleeping around the end of the first week or so post-op. When I've tried sleeping on my stomach, it just feels awkward for some strange reason.

How are you doing with your shiny new hip? How is your gait?
 
@Arlene56 - I seem to miss lots of people's posts. They must think I'm terribly rude. :blush:
Yes, tell us how you're doing. I suspect you've swanned off into the sunset investigating all sorts of exciting new ventures. :thumb:
 
Hello - I'm just popping in after a while away too and wondered how you were. I hope you're out and about enjoying life!
 
@Cynthia777 @Miss Muffet @Zelda
Hello friends!! Just popped in and saw your posts. Things are going well. I just got a job at one of our local middle schools as a ParaProfessional. Will start at the end of August.

Hip is doing well. When I sit, I still feel like I am sitting on a rolled up towel. It's not as bad as before. Just wondering if it's just the muscles??

Have my 6 month next month. Can't believe it. I can walk 3.5 miles now and ride my bike 10 miles at a time without any issues. So happy and thankful for this surgery.

Hope you are all doing well.

Have a sunny day!!
 
Doing well here @Arlene56, thanks! I never had the feeling of anything in my buttocks area (maybe because I had the anterior approach?), but I did have that rolled up towel sensation in my thigh. It disappeared in about a week or ten days. Maybe you don't have much meat on your rear end (I'm Italian, so I have plenty of padding)? :heehee:

Wonderful to hear you'll be starting a new job next month! I bet you're tickled pink! Life is grand, isn't it? :)

Good to see you and hear how well you're doing! :loveshwr:
 
It's wonderful to hear your progress, Arlene! I hope the job goes well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom