THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777
My husband bought me Magnesium. I hope it helps. I think I just overdid walking the other day and was on my feet a lot. Today just rested. The weather was beautiful today. It was good to sit on deck and feel the warm sunshine.
You probably have sun most days in California.
Hope you are enjoying your wkend.
 
Good morning @Arlene56 - yes 08 March!

My six week check is on Friday and I think they vary surgeon to surgeon. I am expecting an X ray, but am not too sure what else. I have a few questions for him, but I have no idea what he will be looking for. I do expect to be given the all clear to drive though

Please let me know what happens to yours on Monday

The time really has flown, but on the other hand it seems like ages ago when I can felt like I was walking with a huge weight on my leg. It didn't hurt - just felt weird. The daftest thing I did, I put down to the codeine I was taking, well that's my excuse anyway .. In hospital, the only way I could get out of bed (there was a stop at the end) was on the right hand side. So, I thought I had to do it at home, until I realised I could just slight straight out of bed in about two seconds. Ridiculous! Yes, it would be interesting to be able to fast forward another six weeks ..

I totally empathise with you when you talk about aches and pains. I have those niggles too - I'd say not enough to take meds, but I would just like them to go now! For me they are at the top and bottom right hand side of my thigh. Mobility wise, I am doing ok I think. I have been down to one cane for a while, but can also walk a lot better than say a week ago without one. I am doing most of that in the house or around the garden at the moment

Meds. I have not taken anything at all for a couple of days, basically because I have not felt the need, but if I did, I would take something without a doubt

Sleeping is an interesting one. At night I still seem to sleep in blocks of two plus hours, although the blocks are now increasing, eg I have just woken up after more than four hours. During the day, I come and sit on the bed regularly. Whether I sleep or not tends to depend on how much exercise I have had. Yesterday, I had my first real visit to town (Cheltenham) and we did significantly more walking. We came home via one of my ukulele friends, I sat on the bed, listened to the sport and was out like a light! I don't worry about it too much

Today it is one of the grandchildren's birthday party. She will be six! My wife is going, but I don't think I am up to trampolining yet, so my elder son and daughter in law are picking me up and taking me for coffee. Otherwise, that is about it for today. I was going to do some work on my laptop, but I may put in some ukulele practice instead. I do try to find things to do, because doing nothing drives me mad. However, one of the great things about this forum is that it helps you to put things into perspective and I am a lot better now at "going with the flow."

Good luck on Monday - I look forward to your update - and enjoy the rest of the weekend
Peter
 
I just caught up with your thread and am glad to read you only seem to be having minor issues that tend to resolve. Sorry to hear of your parents passing. I am only in my late twenties so hope I have a lot more time with my parents. My Mum will now be looking after my grandmother when I am recovering from my surgery as she has moved back home with my parents because my parents were unable to afford the aged care facility (which had also been giving her pretty poor care- being a type 2 diabetic and not regulating her meals so she went from managed by diet to needing to be medicated!) So I worry now about who will be able to care for me at home when my husband goes back to work 3 days after my surgery.
I told my mum to bring my Nan over and we can all hang out together so I will see how that goes! My sisters and my sister in law will hopefully be able to fill in the gaps for the initial recovery.

Good luck for your 6 week OS appt!


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi
It sounds like you do have coverage for family to take care of you. The first wk or so, didn't do much than sleep. I'm sure everything will work out for your recovery.

That's so nice of your Mom to take in her Mother. It's a shame that your Gramma was not treated nicely and adequately. Shame on that facility. Atleast something positive is being done. Your Gramma is probably happier with family. I had to be an advocate for my Mother. I rather enjoyed it. :heehee:

My 6 wk went well. I can drive!! So happy for that. Still have precautions for another 6 wks or so. Dr said if I wanted to try Pilates, go ahead. However, if it hurts, stop. I might not incorporate anything else besides walking and pt into my routine. Just taking things slow.

Hope you enjoy your week.
 
Today was my 6 wk postop! :yahoo: Xrays looked good. Cleared to drive. :happydance:He said I should still be aware of my precautions. He didn't clear me so I guess I still use the reacher etc. which is fine. He said to work with the PT on strengthening the legs. Said I could try riding my bike. If it hurts then stop. That includes Pilates etc.

So all in all, it's all good. My husband was with me when I chatted with the Dr. So once we got into the car, I mentioned that I was going to wait to do more extensive exercises. Well he didn't like that at all. My husband thinks I should be doing more. He said the Dr said you can't damage the hip so you can try other activities. I said I want to take it slow as my incision is still healing and it's still swollen. So needless to say, we didn't talk the rest of the way home.

Yesterday I asked him if he could take all of the bath towels and my laundry basket to the basement. I wanted to do laundry. He didn't do it until today. Which was fine. But he is upset because he started laundering the towels. I was on the deck when he took the towels down to basement. So he said I should be taking over more of the household chores.

I am just tired of this. As I have said before, I can't just snap my fingers and be completely healed. I am going to have aches and pains etc. he seems to think that since the Dr said I can't hurt the hip that I should just do more. Not only does one heal physically but the mental part sometimes can just be as difficult.

I tend to be fearful at times and apprehensive. It will just take some time for my mental state to meet up with the physical state. I just want to cry. Nobody knows how it feels to go through what we all go through with THR. That's why I
love everyone on this forum. You all truly understand. You don't discount what one is struggling with.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart how much I truly appreciate you. I may not respond to everyone's story but I do care about everyone's recovery.

Thank you for listening to me rant. Now I may go cry and just get frustration out. :boohoo::sad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Arlene, good and bad news. Good that you are cleared to drive and do other activities, and that you are ok with having further restrictions. But not so good that your husband isn't on board with the rate at which you want to resume more strenuous exercise. I wish that he would totally respect whatever you are comfortable with. And expecting you to carry baskets of laundry down and up the stairs? That is dangerous for those of us who are not fully strong or steady. My husband has been carrying the laundry up and down the stairs since my THR last July, and I expect that that chore will always be his from now on, even if I get strong again after my next surgery. I always go down and put the laundry in the machine and switch to dryer, etc. I don't quite get why your husband was upset that he started the towels. He didn't have to if he didn't want to, right? At any rate, this attitude has got to have a negative impact on you. We are so vulnerable after THR (and before!) with pain and disability. It takes quite a while to get over that. I hope that you feel better soon, dear Arlene.
 
Oh @Arlene56 I know exactly how you feel! We all do! I haven't responded to many posts lately because life around me is forcing me back into the world that I'm not ready to face yet! I've been exhausted and I will read everyone's updates but am too tired to respond!

I'm so glad to hear that your appointment went well and you received the all clear to drive! I will find out this Wednesday if I get the all clear. In my thoughts I picture myself getting in the car and driving to the nearest beach all by myself and just soak in a different atmosphere! Maybe you need the same - a place for a day to recharge the mind, body and calm the nerves! :bath:

I'm sure your husband means well. He just wants to see you back the way things were. I think our family members are still worried about us, but they miss us all the same.

You still have to be careful, too. You still have the precautions so be careful.

Hope you had a good cry! Tomorrow you will feel better!:friends:
 
Hi Arlene56, sorry you've had a rough day. Many here have expressed that family & friends don't always get there is much internal healing still to be done *even though* you are walking around. Lifting affects the hips. OS said 3 mos for bone healing and a year+ for a more complete recovery, mileage varies. Go have a good cry, it feels great, and then get yourself a nice cup of tea or coffee. Hope you feel better soon.
 
@Arlene56
I'm just now catching up with your posts & like others, am glad you got the all clear to drive! There's so much involved in our recovery though, isn't there? I think @keepmovin has a good point that our loved ones want things back like they were even though they are still worried about us.
I hope you will hold your ground & take care of yourself. I read one time that "Tears are a safety valve for the heart," and I believe it. Hopefully you can have a good cry & help relieve some of the tension. I know I've done more than my share of crying since surgery but I think it's to be expected.
Sending positive thoughts your way! Continue your recovery & taking it slowly but surely!
 
Oh @Arlene56, I'm so sorry you're going through this emotional turmoil. Although physically my op hip is great, it seems as though the mind is taking much longer to get back to "normal". My emotions really are on the proverbial "roller coaster", changing sometimes from hour to hour. I'm not sure if it's because of my first THR or if it's because of my upcoming THR (most likely a bit of both). I'm sorry your hubby doesn't seem to "get it", but I do think our spouses may worry more than we realize. I think sometimes their fear and concern may come across as a bit hard nosed at times (generally speaking, men have an especially difficult time expressing any emotions that may come across as a weakness). I've put my hubby through the ringer for almost a year and a half now and although he has the patience of Job, I'm sure inside he must be so sick of all the "Honey can you...." etc.
Hang in there sweet girl and focus on all the great days and bright sunshine that's in store for you soon.
BIG HUGS!!! :friends:
 
Hello there @Arlene56 , thanks for your kind posts to me. I am recovering well, only day 2 though, and hubz came to visit and said well it's seems it's only going to hurt for a couple more days!!! He too is a fitness fanatic and expects me to be back doing all our sports imminently. I have to have the other one done in about three months and intend to make sure I do less, hopefully he will realise if the washing doesn't get taken downstairs it won't get washed. It works for the kids. I hope you manage to sort things out, maybe don't be so strong, sometimes we appear braver than we are. Look after no. 1 and don't feel bad about it. Have a good cry :bawl:
 
@Krista
Thank you for your kind words. I did mention to him last night that I can do laundry but not taking the laundry basket down and up the stairs. He said ok. He was sorry.

The thing is, is when he got 'snipped ' the Dr told him to lay low for a few days. Well, he didn't and his stitches busted open. He had to go back to Dr and get restitched. So he is one who just has to be on the go.

Hope you are doing well. I will be thinking about you when you go to Dr next wk. Thanks Krista for your support :flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin
Good luck tomorrow at your Dr appt. it is nice to be able to drive. It makes one feel abit more normal.
Driving to a beach for a few days would be wonderful!!! I do need a vacation.
You are correct that our families just want us back to normal so they don't have to worry. My hubby and I usually participate in the Bike The Drive in Chicago at the end of May. He just got his tag and check in info yesterday. He probably feels bad as I won't be with him. I encouraged him to go anyway. But this is just temporary.
Thank you and let me know how it goes tomorrow. :yay:
 
@Horseshoe
Families and friends don't get it. But just going to continue to take it easy for a bit longer. Doc said healing is still taking place.
Took your advice and had hot chocolate. Wish I
could have had some Baileys Irish Cream in it. :heehee:
Have a good evening!
 
@SweetPea69 @Cynthia777
Thank you for your comments. They were very helpful.
Tears are good for the soul that is for sure. We all have shed tears and it does help with recovery.

Holding my ground is important to me for an uneventful recovery. My family will just have to deal with it abit more with compassion.

Yesterday at the Drs office I mentioned Bonesmart to an elderly lady. She wrote down the info. I would love to help people after they have THR. I am sure there are many who don't have much help. I also think the Preop class should also have info about BS. Wish I could somehow do that.

@Cynthia777 agrew with you that your emotions are all over the place being a post and preop patient. Very soon though you will be heading for freedom. So hang in there!!

Thanks again for making me feel loved!!
 
@shirleyH
Good luck with your current recovery and upcoming surgery. Take it one day at a time. You will do just fine and dandy!!
 
Hey @Arlene56 how are you today? I'm just catching up on posts, and read your comments about the laundry. I know exactly what you mean, I've been in many an argument like this. My conclusion is that they easily take things the wrong way. Don't know why, maybe a man thing? These days I just have to be extra careful to avoid it. Not saying it's easy. Im very much an open mouth before engaging brain person.
Hope you are feeling better today, sending you hugsxx
 
Hi Arlene, I'd also missed your post and feel so outraged on your behalf! I'm glad things have settled down a bit between you and your husband.

I'm quite glad at my 6 week check up the surgeon said I would be healing and improving for up to 18 months. My husband has been keen to get me doing more activity but 18 months seems like a realistic timescale rather than now, now, now! I know it comes from love - encouraging me to be active must feel like a way he can contribute to "fixing" me - but I still have days when I'm so tired I just want to nap all day without having to justify it to anyone!
 
@Arlene56 - I read on another thread that you found a PT Pilates person! Yay! You read my mind - I've been thinking about you and was going to suggest that you find someone like that or at least a fabulous massage therapist who could really be there for you one-on-one. I find it can really be so helpful for your body - and also your mind and emotions - to find someone outside of your family who can be empathetic to your situation.

I'm glad your husband apologized. Sometimes we have to set our limits. I don't think my husband realizes it will take a year for my body to fully heal. I think I need to say those words so he doesn't just assume I'm prancing around like I use to so all is just fine. I have to make a point of explaining things, like showing him my recent bloodwork. My hemoglobin is still low and so is my vitamin D. It takes time to get the blood back to normal levels after surgery. My GP said it would take several months. And I'm going back to work in a few weeks...

Anyway I am happy you found a PT Pilates person! I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom