THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine Thank you for your advice. I am no longer having ache in my back and hip today. So good there. I am no longer having PT. Just going to walk. The only occasional ache I have is the healing of the incision. So I figured I really didn't need Norco that much.

I will read about Tylenol. I take Protonix as Tylenol and Advil upset my stomach.

Thanks so much. Just love this forum!!
 
@JosephineThe only occasional ache I have is the healing of the incision. So I figured I really didn't need Norco that much.

Sounds like you are listening to your body and cutting back on meds you don't need! :ok:

This might get deleted by admins but I don't understand why they advocate taking meds for 6 weeks minimum even if you do not need them. They say to listen to your body when it comes to PT and if it hurts don't do it, so why is it the opposite for pain meds? If nothing hurts, take pain meds? Doesn't make sense to me. :scratch:
 
I don't think they advocate taking them when one has no pain, but if the pain you experience hinders your recovery then you need to take them (but ONLY if you're experiencing pain). If one isn't able to walk to regain ones mobility and strength, then I think you take as low a dose as possible to take the edge off enough to be mobile. But I agree with @Rutabaga as far as, if it doesn't hurt you absolutely shouldn't take them.
 
@Rutabaga @Cynthia777
I appreciate your comments. It's just a fine line on what to do. Called nurse today so I will be chatting with her on Monday.
Just so bored. Wow. I haven't really ventured out but hubby and I might go movie tomorrow. We have a wind advisory all day tomorrow plus a chance of snow.

Thank you hipster friends for your comments. Truly appreciate them
 
I don't understand why they advocate taking meds for 6 weeks minimum even if you do not need them
That's NOT what I said. I only say that to people who are cutting back on their meds yet still complaining of pain. Please don't misquote me like that.
as Tylenol and Advil upset my stomach.
My dear, I would suggest that it's not the Tylenol that upsets your stomach but the Advil. Read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
@Josephine how much Tylenol would I use?
1,000mg up to 4 times a day.
 
@Jaycey @Josephine thank you. I am also taking 20mg of Prozac for anxiety. Will this interfere with taking the Tylenol?

Also there is a small area of my incision that is uncomfortable. It was like this before staples were removed. It is not red but still has a bruise around it. It just feels different from the other areas of incision. Even when I try and put ice on it, it kinda stings. Should I be concerned?
 
Oh @Arlene56 you changed you Avatar! Awesome! :wow:
I'm probably doing the same as you, I'm switching out Tramacet for Tylenol. I agree it's a very fine line you have to balance, between pain management and withdrawal symptoms, you can't do it overnight.
I see my OS next week too and I want the go ahead to drive. Not that I will drive far, but I don't want him to say no because of medication.
 
@Simplieme
Is Tramacet a narcotic? How much Tylenol does your Dr recommend? I have a call into my Dr to chat about switching from Advil to Tylenol. I go to Dr for my 6 wks in 2 wks. Looking forward to driving as well.
Hope you have a nice Sunday!!
 
What a great picture! Very nice!

Yes, cutting back is best done gradually UNLESS you don't experience any withdrawal symptoms. I've gone from
10 mg's of Percocet 3 times a day (30 Mg's a day) down to 1 a day (10 Mg's) over the past week. I started by cutting each pill in half 3 times a day (15 Mg's) for 3 or 4 days (I can't quite remember) and two days ago I cut them down to 1/2 pill twice a day (10 Mg's) and I've felt fine. In a couple of days I'll cut my evening dose and finally will drop the last pill a few days after that....wow, I sure made that sound complicated! :heehee:
 
@Rutabaga
Well thank you. I just got an iPhone. So my kids wanted me to take a selfie. This is what I came up with. They told me I looked sad. :heehee: But I told them it took me awhile to figure out how to take a picture of my self. :rotfl: Not good with electronics.
 
@Simplieme @Cynthia777
Thanks for suggestion. Last Sunday was the last dosage of Oxy. So the Dr prescribed Norco 10-325 up from 5-325 to accommodate withdrawal. Taking 10mg I'd Norco makes me loopy and since I'm really not in much pain I cut the 10 in 1/2. So at some point I will have to cut that same 5 in 1/2. I have been spacing out the Norco from 4 hrs to 6 hr Last Monday I wasn't feeling well due to withdrawal but it only lasted like 8 hrs. Slept and made sure ate something.
Thanks ladies - have a good wkend!!
 
How strange that your doctor would prescribe another narcotic while withdrawing...but I'm no expert. I'm pretty sure Norco is milder than Percocet, however I had never heard or even thought of going from one to the other narcotic. Good to know. :-)
 
I am also taking 20mg of Prozac for anxiety. Will this interfere with taking the Tylenol?
Not in the least.
Is Tramacet a narcotic?
Tramacet is tramadol hydrochloride and acetaminophen so do be careful if you are planning to use Tylenol as well. The maximum per 24hrs should not exceed 4,000mgs
 
Well having a hard time falling asleep again. :oyvey:Don't know why.
Today was day 27. It was an ok day. Decided to get my winter coat on and go for a 20 minute walk while the snow flurries were flying. Even though it was cold, it was very refreshing.

Had to go get some blood work done so I can get off of blood thinners. I thought it was just going to be a finger prick. But no had to have a whole vial. The girl who took blood was in training. She couldn't find a vein. So I was getting a little impatient and just got to the point that I was tired of being a pin cushion. She finally got a vein. I was getting ready to leave and the head nurse came in and said the vial wasn't filled completely. :hairpulling: I said please just submit it and she said they probably won't take it. I said try and if there is a problem, call me. Maybe I should call them tomorrow to see if they in fact submitted the sample.

@Josephine what would they need a whole vial compared to a finger prick? Since she didn't get a whole vial do you think I should follow up ? I probably should have had them top it off but I didn't. Probably poor judgement on my part

So after that for some reason I was just so emotional. I think recovery is lonely. Friends i thought were friends, don't call and check in. I have a friend who only calls when she is in need of someone to listen to her. She has called once and I let the call go to Vm as she said she needed to chat about a problem she was having. My sister is like that as well. She is even a nurse. My hubby is my rock. He has been so wonderful!!! We have had our ups and downs throughout our 28 yrs of marriage. There were times we kinda just checked out. But he has given me sooo much attention and I am very thankful as he can be a workaholic. :roseshwr:

Part of why I am weepy is I miss my parents. My Dad died 11 years ago and my Mom 6 years. I was very close to them. Sometimes i just want a hug or encouragement from them. My Moms birthday is next wk so I usually do a lot of reflecting before her bday.

Well thank you hippy friends for listening. BS is a huge huge huge blessing to me. Love you all:flwrysmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom