THR My recovery journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine
Hello. I am 5 months postop. Doing well. However, on occasion, when I sit, I still feel like I am sitting on a rolled up towel. It's also uncomfortable laying on my surgical side. Are these all normal at 5 months?
Thanks
 
Would I be correct in assuming you had a posterior approach? Because in that case, you will be sitting on the very deepest part of the wound where the surgeon got access to the hip joint. So naturally the surrounding tissues will be swollen and feel thickened, exactly like sitting on a rolled up towel!

suggestions:
sit on a soft cushion
ice the area
take some Tylenol (1,000mgs)
 
Hello everyone. Thought I would give an update. I had been doing sooo very good up until last week. I was on my walk and all of a sudden my hip started hurting. I didn't do anything or trip or fall. I thought well maybe I should just not walk for a few days. I do have a full time job now as a Teachers Assistant which I just love. So I am on my feet a good part of the 6 hrs I work. I invested in good supportive shoes and have started taking a lot of vitamins. While driving home from work on Friday, my hip started hurting while sitting in the car just like before surgery. So I called the Dr and am going in to see him tomorrow at noon.

@Josephine what do you think this is? My lower back hurts as well. It is just a tad bit uncomfortable when I walk down the stairs. It's not the grinding sensation like preop but it does hurt. Even the side of my operated leg hurts a bit when I am sitting. I am so fearful!! I was doing so well. I finally had my life back. Guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out if things have moved around. I pray they haven't. :shocked:
:beg:
 
Hi Arlene,
I'm sorry to hear that your hip has started hurting. Did you add any new exercises to your routine? Did you lift anything heavy in the past few days? I know that if I do either of these things, my hip flexors will ache. Hopefully it's just muscular. I think it's normal at this age to have some aches and pains...but not the OA pain. Hopefully the doctor can give you some answers.
I still get a little sore from exercising, and sometimes I have some mild aggravation in my SI joint. Nothing major. How long have you been back at work? Maybe that's it?
 
Hi @Arlene56! It's great to hear from you. I'm sorry that you are now in pain, though. It sounds to me like you may have developed bursitis. What you described is exactly what I went through a few months after my THR. When I saw my OS, he said I had bursitis and sent me back to PT and gave me Voltaren gel. The PT only aggravated it more...go figure...but the Voltaren gel did help. But, several weeks later, it wasn't improving like I thought it should (it was bearable but just not going away). So I went to my PCP and she put me on Prednisone. That was several weeks ago and haven't had a problem since. I hope, for your sake, that is all it is and you get it taken care of quickly. Good luck.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
Thank you for your kind words. I'm praying it's only muscular. I started work first wk in September. That was my 6 month postop. Not sure I over exercised. I didn't lift anything heavy as I can recall. So tomorrow we shall see.
Thank yuh and I hope you are doing well yourself. Have a great evening!!
 
@Nana757
Thank you for your response. It was very encouraging-appreciate it. It's always nerve wracking when it comes to our expensive and precious hips. I have faith now that it won't be anything major.
Hope you are doing well. Have a wonderful week!!
 
So sorry you are hurting again. Best to get this checked out. If you haven't started anything new like lifting or pushing anything heavy an x-ray and check will ease your mind. Please keep us updated.
 
I'm praying it's only muscular.
I think that's a safe bet. Between work and everything else, you've probably overdone it some. Are you still going to PT - doing exercises? If so, STOP!
 
Good news! The Dr said it is my SA. So my hip hasn't moved and everything is fine. Phew!!!

Thank you for all of your encouragement!! I appreciate it.
Happy Halloween!
 
:wow: So glad to hear that!! What is SA? It is not ringing a bell in my half asleep still brain. LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom