Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Yes, Dawn....we ARE here for you!!! This is a situation that I believe is best addressed by Josephine. @Josephine:

It might help you make a decision if you received other opinions from a surgeon or two totally unrelated to your original doctor. Trust is good, but it's always good to have some validation of the problem if you can get it.

If it turns out that this surgery is your only avenue for relief, I'd say you should strongly consider it. Sometimes our body's don't behave in a textbook manner and tweaking is required to reach our goal. The only other alternative would be to just deal with things as they are. I don't believe that is what you want to do.

As you work through this, please don't hesitate to post and talk and deliberate here with your BoneSmart family. We may not have all the answers, but we can help you find the right choice for YOU. It's out there!
 
I like what he's said and his practical way of describing it. There does come a point when drastic situations require drastic solutions so I'd say go for it. I would also emphasise what he said in that it's not your fault, not in any way, shape or form. It just happens.
 
Thanks Jamie, Jo and Mimi, I greatly appreciate the support.

I am not sure about getting a second opinion, but will consider it. I live very close to a major teaching hospital in NH, where many of my clients have had their TKR's done. It would be logical to seek another opinion from someone there.

I am almost resolved to the fact that the revision is a when, not if. I just have to decide when I want to tackle it based on home and work activities. I hate to let work dominate my thinking on this, but I have no choice. I am the practical type about these things, and since I have lived for so long with this condition, I can tolerate it longer if need be.

Thanks Jo, glad you like the style my OS has. He is a regular guy that I relate to very well. He operates in a small hospital and doesn't seem to want to limelight of the larger, more prestigious teaching hospital right up the road, even though he trained there. With him and his office, I don't feel like livestock waiting to be herded in for my 5 minutes of consult. He takes the time to address my concerns and is genuinely disappointed in the results so far. As he told me at the last appointment, "I won't be happy until you have a knee that works for the life you want to live". Love that attitude!

Does anyone know what kind of experience I might have with this revision? Will I need the heavy narcotics for long after the surgery? It's been so nice these last few months to be out from under the pain med haze. My mind is back to working like a sharp knife and I would love to keep it that way. I would appreciate feedback on this.

Jamie, can you or someone also change my tag line to possible revision or something along those lines?

Many thanks and again, greatly appreciate the support!

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn

I am just catching up with your news. Oh my, you have a lot to think about - bless you for being so patient about your situation. Your OS sounds a really decent chap with good ethics, sometimes you have to trust your instincts. I hope you come to the right decision for you and I wish you all the best. Take care and keep us posted my good friend xx
 
HI Jo,

So glad you're back!! I appreciate the reply and kind words. This news is not what I had hoped for but I was prepared for the worst, and it looks like I have to just face it.

I spoke with my boss at work to let him know what was happening. He was not happy. He offered no support, really just thinking about how it will impact our business. My team on the other hand was very supportive and would like me to have this done sooner rather than later. I believe that is best as well. We are almost at our annual goal even though we are only halfway through the year, and the summer months are usually slower from an activity standpoint.

It's just a hard decision. I'm finding myself pretty low with too much time being devoted to the decision. My focus is fading, really losing my edge. I hate the feeling of weakness and dependance. Grrr.

I have made 2 calls to the OS office to get on the surgical schedule but have had no reply. Will try again today and hope that I can at least find out if his schedule will work with my tentative plan to do this surgery in mid July. I will post once I have a definite plan.

In the meantime, I am seeing my hopes for a week at the lake fade into the sunset. I guess I will have to try again next year...

Bummed out and frustrated.

Dawn
 
I've been in a slightly different position as you, with mostly flexion issues. Scar tissue is fibrous, like cartilage. What happens when we work hard to move beyond its limitations is, the scar pulls on healthy tissues and makes them hurt! I had so much pain when still in the grips of scar tissue.

Here is an article on this issue which you might find of interest: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835585/?tool=pmcentrez

I had really good results with the arthroscopic removal of scar tissue.

So sorry you're in this position. It's torture to have to make these decisions. It's also torture to live with inferior results. After all, getting our knee right was why we went into such a major operation.
 
Dawn, I am sorry you have to go through all of this. If it gives you the "life you want to live", then it is worth it. I know how frustrated you have been with this knee and now you have the answer.

Remember we are here for you anytime. Best wishes for this procedure to give you what you need to move forward. :friends:
 
Mimi, I have an Optetrak also.
 
I spoke with my boss at work to let him know what was happening. He was not happy. He offered no support, really just thinking about how it will impact our business.
You are a partner in the business?

If not, and there's no more than in those sentences, you have learned something, IMO. When recovered, get another job.
 
Dawn, I had a very similar surgery--but I did not have the capsule release. All of my scar tissue was in the front on my knee. I hope that I can give you an idea of what the recovery will be like.

I stayed one day in the hospital. I was on oxycontin twice a day and percoset 5/325 every three hours. The first two days were tough, I was in pain with a capital p. I woke up took meds, went back to sleep, woke up too meds, went back to sleep. The second day was the worst--I could barely put weight on my leg. By the third day I was pretty much clear of the worst of the pain--still taking the same meds. I had ten days of oxy and two weeks of percoset.

the main difference was the pain went away a little faster than a tkr. I am now six weeks out. I had no pt for the first three weeks. My OS feels that if the knee is warm and swollen, it should not be doing a lot of exercise--because that is what encourages the scar tissue to grow.

I went to pt after three weeks, but so far in pt, I have done only 20 mins of bike riding, then e stym, then quad sets and leg lifts. Almost no exercise at all. Lots of sitting and working in my studio. Which might be the good news for you. I was on a schedule of two hours of work, 20 min of ice and elevation, then repeat all day. Could you work at home or half days?

I used crutches for three weeks--with weight bearing. I still use a hiking pole when I walk the dog, my knee still hurts a little. I have taken two percosets in the last three weeks. Have used some Tramadol --maybe two a day on average. For the last week, no meds at all except Celebrex.

Oh yes, there is some evidence that Celebrex stops the formation of scar tissue, so I took it twice a day for five weeks. Now, I take it once a day.

On the whole, I would say the surgery is less than a tkr. However, in some ways the rehab is worse since i have had to rest, rest, rest a lot more. By this time in my tkr, I was riding my bike outside. Now, I ride a stationery three times a day for 20 min. Hey, have your husband bring that bike back up. I put mine outside so I could enjoy the weather--it has been raining here for three weeks!!--I put a barbecue cover over it.

I think you will be able to return to work fast, but will still need some pt, etc--I am going to start adding to my pt this week. by eight weeks, we are going to start serious pt.

On the plus side, my knee looks pretty good right now. Little swelling--it is no longer "hot" to the touch. I have a rom of 140 and extension 0---so, have hope!! I am glad that I did the surgery--my pain was the opposite of yours, I could not move my kneecap--but, I am riding my bike with no pain right now. Good luck and keep in touch. Kelly
 
Good morning friends,

I appreciate your comment Roy, it is very telling about leadership at the company I work for. If I were an owner, I can tell you the culture would be very different as it relates to medical and family issues. I will be seeing my boss in person this morning and plan to have a frank conversation about his reaction. I contribute so much to the success of our entire team and he needs to be reminded of the value that provides.

Kelly, thanks for your very detailed experience. It does help me a lot in preparing for this next step. I will get that bike back up stairs where I can use regularly.

Mary, I agree its torture making these decisions. My co-worker made a comment to me that helped in this next step; he said that he thought my limp was worse now than before the TKR. He's right, thats true, and it hurts more, just in a different way.

I finally got a call yesterday from the surgery scheduler but I wasn't able to call back. Will do that today and hopefully have a game plan in place. Will be back later!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Well, it's official, I am having my revision on August 14th. The OS will replace my spacer, remove all scar tissue and do a posterior capsular release. I go for my pre-op on 8/6. I decided that I might as well get it over with, no sense in postponing the inevitable. Not looking forward to the pain and rehab but know its necessary to get a straight leg and to stop limping. I plan to be off work for 3 weeks and do the bone smart recovery; rest, ice, elevate, pain meds by the clock, and gentle work to begin with. I am hoping this time around I will be more prepared than going into the TKR. feeling more resolved just writing this. I will update as I get closer to the date.

Thanks in advance for your support, I am going to need it!

Dawn
 
Dawn, I hope this is just what you need to get you moving forward. I know you have had to deal with many dissapointments in this process. Here's to getting this knee to be all it needs to be for you.:happydance:

I see you are having this done on Aug. 14. If you don't here from me it is because my daughter is having open heart surgery on the 13th. and we will be out of town. Wishing you all the best with this revision.:flwrysmile:
 
Dawn, I hope this is just what you need to get you moving forward. I know you have had to deal with many dissapointments in this process. Here's to getting this knee to be all it needs to be for you.:happydance:

I see you are having this done on Aug. 14. If you don't here from me it is because my daughter is having open heart surgery on the 13th. and we will be out of town. Wishing you all the best with this revision.:flwrysmile:

Wow Mimi, what is happening, I hope she is going to be okay, is this the daughter that recently had the baby? My sincerest wishes for a positive outcome to your daughter and family.
 
Thanks Dawn, no this is my youngest daughter, (28) healthy all her life, no problems. She took up running and started to have heartburn all the time. After many tests, she has a very rare condition with no name. She has a right aortic arch that about 1% of people have, which is not the problem. She has residual scar tissue from when the gill slits close at birth and next to that is a bump that sticks out and is constricting her esophagus. It is very rare and the surgeons at Johns Hopkins have only done the surgery 11 times and never really like hers. She is very scared and very healthy. So we have peace that she is at a great hospital and healthy. It still scares me!!:scare:
 
I am so sorry to hear this but it sounds like she will be n the best of hands, literally. Please update me on how she is doing, prayers will be with you all.

Dawn
 
Dawn, have changed your thread title prefix per your request. Third time's a charm---so this should fix you for life.
 
This question is directed at those who have had spacer exchange, scar tissue removal and/or capsular release: How long did you need to use heavy duty pain killers? I am having all three done at once on 8/14 to create more motion and specially to get me the missing extension, now at 15-20 degrees from straight? How different did you feel after this procedure compared to the TKR?

I have had a few responses around this and would appreciate any insight others have to share as well. Plus, Orthodoc, Josephine, interested in your perspectives.

Many thanks in advance!

Dawn
 
It could likely be about the same experience as having the original replacement. Don't expect any less and then if it is, it will be a nice surprise! But the incision will probably be about the same though, of course, there won't be any bone cutting so that will step it down a bit. At a guess, you'll probably need full cover for for maybe 4 weeks then slowly tailing off to about 6-8 weeks.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom