Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Hi Jo, yes, this weather is driving me a little nutty. My fleece jackets are sitting next to my spring jackets and they rarely get to see one another!! My husband broke out his shorts only to put them back in the closet for a few more weeks. Thats New England weather!!

Knee has been okay, back to massage again this morning, had a session on Wednesday and it was fine. I have tried to be mindful of my gait as Roy suggested and it does seem to help when I really pay attention.

I will be taking another break from massage because of conflicts with work schedule, so it will be 10 days or so. I will use that time to measure if there is any difference going versus not going.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Good Morning and Happy Easter to all,

It's been over a week since I have been to massage therapy. I am seeing no measurable improvement and although I like the therapist and believe he is a good practitioner, I think I am done with this trial.

I plan to join the Aquatic Center and see if I can get improvement in the water. At the very least I can exercise and that is always a good thing.

It's 8 months now and even though I know this can take a year, its completely frustrating to be missing this much extension. I haven't been measured in a while but I am likely at 10-12 at this stage. I don't think there is any residual swelling. Most likely its scar tissue that won't give and prevents the extension.

I will schedule an appointment with the OS to discuss what my options are. THey have already told me I can have another manipulation, they could do a capsular release, which is pretty involved. Are there any other options I am not thinking about except to just live with it for a year? I have read that some people have had the OS go in with a scope to remove the scar tissue, but I don't know how effective that might be. Any thoughts or feedback would be welcomed.

Trying to stay positive and not get into the dumps with this. It is quite the challenge as you all know well. I had a discussion with my boss last week. My team and I are having quite a good year, we are almost halfway to our full year goals. I am pretty happy with that, but then he reminded me that I was in this same position last year and with the surgery, just barely made the years full goal. Talk about a kill joy!!!

Oh well, enough whining. Just wanted to post a quick update.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn
I hope you had a good Easter and hope the Easter Bunny made a visit. Will you be seeing your OS regarding your knee soon? I hope some of the folks here will give you some feedback regarding the scope. I would love to find a pool where I could do some therapy but the pools locally do not look very nice or clean! As I've got older I have got a little squeamish about sharing a pool with people (I'm odd like that!!!)

Take care and keep us posted xx
 
Dawn, water exercise has always helped me with my knee, before and after surgery. Just walking in the water is so soothing.

For extension I have started to put my foot on the pool wall, while facing the opposite wall. Your leg is behind you and bent. I pull my leg up as high as possible and gently bounce. I have found that it is helping my extension. I can see the difference when I walk steps.:yay:

Bicycling is great, and I wear pool shoes and a float belt. With the belt on I bicycle all around the pool. Then just walking backwards, forwards,grapevine, marching and really bringing the knees high, are all good things.:thumb:

Hope you find the answers you need to get the results you need real soon.:friends:.
 
Those are great suggestions Mimi, thanks! I have yet to get to the pool, but hopefully soon. It's still busy at my work due to tax season, but thankfully that will be over soon!!

I have not been back to massage therapy since my last post. I really wasn't seeing results. I feel like I gave it a sufficient trial and am grateful to found someone who might help me in the future. I need to schedule with my OS so I can discuss with him what might be next, if anything. I am still stiff, and am having some pain right above the knee as the quad connects. The limp is very noticeable and I get pretty tired after being on my feet for long. Still frustrated, still hoping for the best, not giving up.

On a brighter note, heading to Texas in a couple of weeks for my nieces wedding. My oldest son is traveling with me so it will be good to have some much needed time with him. Maybe some sun and sand will improve my attitude!!

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Good morning,

Its been a while since I have posted on my thread. I have been busy with work and other things. I'm in Texas right now for my nieces wedding, which was yesterday.

We are staying at a beach house right on the gulf of Mexico. The ocean breeze has been great. It's been quite humid though, which seems to be tough on my knee. I am super stiff and have been having a bit of pain right in the joint. I wore very low heels to the wedding which didn't help, then promptly switched to my Merrills.

Not in a position here to be able to ice the knee and it would melt really quickly anyhow. We will be here until Tuesday then back to reality. It's always great to visit family but I cant do these late nights like I used to. I will need to rest when back home!

I plan to call the OS when back to schedule that heart to heart. I need to know what to do next. Typically I see the PA unless it's more serious. I guess I will need to be firm when requesting the appointment to be sure it's with the surgeon. I just want to get my life back, stop limping around and feel better. My life and activity is defined by knee at his point and it's grating on me in a major way. Now at 8 1/2 months I feel like I should be further along. I know it's still early....just difficult. It's making me feel every one of my 49 years and then some!

Will check back in when I have something more to report. Thanks for being out there!

Dawn
 
Dawn, Just try to enjoy the rest of your stay in Texas. Certainly hope when you get home that you and your OS can find the solution you are needing at the moment.

Take care & keep us posted. We care.
 
Hi Dawn

It's good to hear from you and it certainly sounds a lovely spot to be - the Gulf of Mexico sounds wonderful as I look at my window. I have full on rain and wind here in Devon today. Enjoy your last couple of days.

I think you are wise to see your OS when you return and maybe consider the next step for you and your knee. I really hope you can get back on track with your life very soon and feel the benefits of the surgery. I will keep everything crossed for you Dawn as I feel your frustration. Keep us posted my friend xxx
 
Good morning friends,

Its been a while since I have posted, but I visit the site each day. Today is the 9 month anniversary of my LTKR. Its been 4 1/2 months since I have been to PT and stopped going to massage therapy about 6 weeks ago. I basically have stopped doing anything proactive. I should be riding my bike but hubby moved it to the basement and I just don't like riding it there.

I am still plenty stiff and missing extension. I do have pain above the knee, in a band across the top. No real pain behind the knee, all in front. I get very stiff sitting at my desk, although I stretch it every so often.

I scheduled an appointment with my OS for 5/31 to discuss what next steps I should consider. I have read with interest ski girls posts about the removal of her scar tissue and wonder if this is the best course of action. I also wonder if its too early to consider any surgical intervention to gain extension. I had the MUA at 3 months that helped but lost what I gained pretty quickly. At this point my knee and ability to live the life I want is worse than before surgery. I can live with it but at 49, don't know that I want to give up. I'm not really down about this, more disappointed than anything.

Just a few thoughts to update my status. Will post after I have met with OS. Any observations or ideas would be welcome.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn

I was thinking of you today and wondered how you were doing - pleased you dropped in :thumb: I feel for you as you are not happy with your outcome and I can offer no advice I'm afraid. I think you are wise to see your OS and I hope he can help you to resolve your extension issue. Wishing you all the best Dawn and keep us posted.
 
Good to hear from you Dawn. Wish you had the outcome that you want and need. Do you still have any swelling? I ask cause I did not get good ROM and extension till the swelling was all gone. I also found that riding the stationary bike each day really helped my ROM and stiffness. :thumb: I did not overdo the bike riding, just 15 min. at a time and a steady pace, not racing!

Hope you get what you need soon. Have you tried walking in a pool yet? I feel that even past a year, that I am still gaining ROM.:friends:
 
Dawn....remember that we tell folks to give their knees at least 6 months and usuallly more like a year or more to get completely healed? You still have time to get where you want to be.

Why did you decide to stop riding your bicycle? That will help you! So will some stretching and strengthening exercises.

It is still possible that you have swelling even if you don't see it. Can you tell me what your extension mesures?? Have you dont the extension exercises we show in the BoneSmart Library?

Improving Extension
 
Thanks for the replies. I greatly appreciate my loyal friends insight and support!

I don't have swelling at this point, at least none that I can see. My pain is above the knee, about 3 inches or so. It is a band of tissue that is pliable, but tough and cannot be massaged away. It seems that is where my pain is concentrated.

I stopped riding my bike when hubby moved it to the basement. I just have to force myself to go down there and use it. It was so nice to have it upstairs where I could ride, listen to the birds chirping off my deck in the woods, it made for a nice wake up routine.

I have not been to a pool yet. I know I should try to incorporate that. I have let my work take over my life again and that is my curse for certain. Its been so busy and no sign of relief anytime soon. I have a highly intense, stressful job that requires my full attention, and taking time away is at best a challenge. I know I should put my health above the work, but its a constant juggling act. I am the sole breadwinner in my family, so I cannot afford to fail. Everyone depends on me, family and clients. A huge responsibility.

My extension is 10-12 and flexion is about 105-110; flexion I am not concerned with. The missing extension causes a raft of others issues and at this point is no better than before surgery.

Maybe I just gave up and got lazy. I just don't know. All I do know is that I am no where near where I want to be. I went to see a client who is in the hospital on Monday. I had to walk the equivalent of 4 football fields to get to his room. By the time I was done, the pain was right up there at a 3. I am not taking narcotics at all, just OTC meds and Celebrex 2x a day.

Very frustrated. Feel like a whiner. Lost in this mess of recovery and the rest of the world that has moved along without me. Need a better attitude.

Thanks for listening friends,

Dawn
 
Dawn, if you rode the bike when it was upstairs, then get it back up there. You need that exercise for both mind and body.:thumb: Sometimes it is the simple things that can make the difference. :yes 4:

I have my bike in my sun room and so enjoy riding in my PJ's first thing in the morning and last thing at night.:loll:

Here is something I told my daughter lately.She just had baby no.2 in 19 months, he had eating problems, then when that was resolved, he got a kidney infection and was hospitalized. Her 20 month old developed a peanut allergy and she is going back to work full time soon.She was running on empty. So I said to her, "Do what is good for you and the rest will fall into place. It helped her to make better decisions for herself first and then care for the rest of her life.

Hope it helps you to take some of the stress away.:friends: Being selfish is looking after yourself first and that is a good thing. As women we think we have to do it all and forget ours needs in the process.:cat-kittyandsmiley:
 
Hi Dawn. I'd say if the bike is the only thing that you used and it helped, then it needs to be put back where you'll use it. Stat!

I understand about time being tight and being all consumed by work. But Jamie is right. You need to work on stretches, but rather than setting time aside for exercise you can sneak some in: try straightening your legs when your in the shower and you muscles are nice and warm; whenever you sit down and it's appropriate, put your heels on another chair and gently press the knees down; whenever you're on the phone, keep your feet on the ground and roll your chair back and forth careful not to go too far back for some flexion work.

Anyway, you get the idea. Work it whenever you can and that may even raise your spirit. Hang in there!
 
Have you been doing these exercises in the library here under Improving Extension? They are excellent and when nothing was working for me the one where you hang the leg over the bed while on your stomach with a 3lb.(work up to 5lb. and you can get them at Walmart) weight on it, really got the job done. I worked up to 20 min. as often as I could do it each day. I positioned pillows for my head and chest so it was comfy. I watched TV and the time flew. It took 2 months to get it better, then just walking and planting my heel first did the trick. Good Luck:friends:
 
Thanks everyone, I so appreciate the replies. I will hit the library and start again. I have to put my priorities in line, and if I'm not well, I can't function in top form. I know all these things, but oh so hard to apply them to my situation.
 
Re: My left knee story, extension issues, now potential revision

Good afternoon friends,

I had my appointment with my OS this afternoon. THis was the heart to heart I have been meaning to have for a couple of months. I am at 9 1/2 months post op from LTKR and missing extension pretty badly. The OS measured me at 15-20 degrees from straight, not good. Flexion was 110 with no effort at all which is okay.

I let him know that my pain is located above the knee, a thick band that is fairly hard. I am stiff in the morning and when I sit in one position too long. The knee is painful after I have been using it all day long, doing the basic things like walking to get groceries, housework, etc.

He examined the knee, sitting and laying down. He measured me, at first at 20, then again at 15-20. He said that to really improve my extension and deal with the scar tissue, that a partial revision would be advised. He said doing another MUA alone is not a good option, and doing surgery to simply remove the scar tissue in front isn't going to do enough to improve my extension.

He said what he would recommend is, open the knee up along the incision for the TKR, take out the spacer to reach behind the knee and do a posterior capsular release. At the same time, he would remove all the scar tissue in front and around the knee, and do a manipulation as well, to make sure the joint is moving very freely. He said while this isn't as involved as the TKR, it is a major surgery. He said I should plan to be out of work for at least 2 weeks. THe pain wouldn't be as bad as the TKR and that because he would not be cutting bone, muscles, etc, that he felt comfortable that the scar tissue would not come back as badly as it formed after the TKR.

It's a lot to think about. I do trust him implicitly, he is honest and straightforward. I asked him if just working harder at stretching and exercising, losing weight, etc would help me gain extension without the surgery and he said he doubted that it would improve significantly. His words, "your knee is a pain the you know what, and your physiology is what is causing this". He said it was nothing that I have done or didn't do, that this has been an ongoing problem for most of my adult life, so don't blame myself. He said I was a model patient and had complied as asked to do the things I needed to do to recover well. My body had other plans.

So, now I need to noodle this around and make the decision about next steps. If anyone has had experience with this type of problem I would be interested in your perspective. @Josephine:, @Jamie:, @Orthodoc:, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Decisions, decisions...

THanks for being out there, this is no fun at all, feel very alone.

Dawn:sigh:
 
Dawn, you are never alone here:friends:

You have been searching for reasons for the extension issue and now you have something to work with. I am sure that Jo will have some information for you.:thumb:

Hope this all works out well for you.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom