Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Hi Mimi and Jo, thanks. I appreciate your kind thoughts and support.

I had another massage session yesterday, a combination of specific intense muscle work and longer strokes. It was a good session. I woke up this morning to a very stiff knee, again, seeming to be swelling. I don't have another session scheduled for a week. I will take it easy during that time, no bike, maybe see if I can get to a pool and test the water, literally!

My patience is really being tested here, thats for sure. I will have some quiet time this weekend to noodle this problem and think about what to do next.

Jo, I don't know if its just my own observations, but it seems many of the really tough cases with TKR are associated with the younger patients. Nothing scientific in my thought, but reading so many posts here makes it appear there is some logic to it. Glad you are having a better experience than most!!

The one bright spot has been the weather here in Vermont. It has been in the low 80's for 5 days now. That's unheard of in March. The snow is gone, the crocus are out and the maple syrup season has ended abruptly. Very strange. Watch us get a snowstorm in May!!

Be well friends!

Dawn
 
Good morning Dawn
Your weather sounds lovely - send some over here please!! We have a murky March day so far but it is meant to be sunny tomorrow. Enjoy your day!
 
You're not the only has noticed that, Dawn. It's come up in many a paper in medical journals and almost always put down to the younger patients having higher expectations which are therefore more often disappointed.
 
I wish I could send some of the heat we have had to you Jo. I had to turn on the cooling system at the office because it was so hot these last few days, way too early for us in what should still be cold New England! I had my sunroof open yesterday, it's just crazy!

Josephine, I think you are right about younger patients having higher expectations about recovery. I also think, at least here in the states, that our employers expect us to come back to work way too soon and believe that we should be able to perform at 100% way too quickly. I wish I had taken 8 weeks off and focused my attention and energy on getting well, and not worrying so much about work. Being the sole breadwinner in my family, I feel a huge burden of responsibility to keep us afloat. Live and learn I guess.

Margaret, totally can relate to the frustration. My massage therapist made an interesting observation during our last visit; he said I was such a nice person and that I probably don;t let myself complain enough, that I keep it pent up and put on a brave face for the world, when in actuality I am, excuse my language, ticked off that I am in this position. He's right. You need to let it out somewhere. And we need to put our own recoveries first. If we aren't well, we can't be as effective in all the other activities that take up our days. A nice observation, now what will I do about it!

Doing the TKR polka, one step forward, two steps back, two steps forward, one step back!

Thanks fiends,

Dawn
 
I was wondering if poorer outcomes maybe related to waiting longer to have replacement surgery in younger patients?
I totally agree with your asterisks!
 
Hi Dawn
You have made some excellent points in your post that I very much agree with. I love your reference to the TKR polka :snork: Have a good weekend!
 
Dawn, how high we're your temps?? We hit 78-80 the last 2 days!! I have a heart arrhythmia that the heat sets off( not sure why) so it has been a problem for me!! I am like you, I let things build up, and then let go. But, I am finding that in getting answers here, as well as sympathy , it really helps. I am 4 1/2 months out, still having pain and swelling, taking pain meds, and wondering when it will be over. Take care! Are you scheduling a brainstorm session with your OS??
 
Hi Dawn and Megan, We three are all in the same boat, unfortunately the slow one!

I'm taking a few minues break from working, sitting at my desk with both legs up on a cushioned stool. So keeping legs straight. Don't know if its working to help relax the tensed muscles and ligaments, but sure feels nice and comfy.

I guess, that patience word comes back again and again and again, but it wears very thin after a while.
 
Pumpkin, you may be onto something with younger patients waiting to do the TKR. My knee has been an issue for 30 years, and was in quite bad shape even 10 years ago. I waited because it was just not thought of as an option to do the TKR. fast forward and here we are.

Megan, it was 85 four days in a row this week, and in Vermont no less. I had my windows open at the house and spring cleaning and yard work is happening everywhere. The forecast is turning colder this week but still in the high 50's, way to warm for March.

My son is a landscaper and this time last year he was still plowing snow. We had a snowbank in our office parking lot that hung around until June! Not this year! Now he is getting calls to get the yards cleaned up. I personally don;t mind the snow and cold, the seasons changing is part of why I love living here so much! Hope the heat is bearable for you!

No session yet with the OS. Will try to get in to see him in May hopefully. My work schedule has gotten super busy with tax season upon us, and it will be this way for another month. I will definitely update when that happens.

Margaret, we are all in that slow boat to recovery. I have a cushioned stool at my office too and try to use it often. Not sure it works but can't hurt!

Patience is not in large supply with me either. I try to keep everything in perspective but boy it is challenging.

Having this forum, and reading so many posts on the wide range of outcomes makes me feel less alone. I know so much more than I did before this whole journey and hope it helps me advocate for myself as I keep working to get well.

Take care friends,

Dawn
 
Diane;
I know it is so frustrting to see elderly people beating us in recovery, but that is just the way it is.
I have been told it is because the older people have less sensitive nerves, and definately have less expectations. They just want to be out of pain, climb stairs and get in and out of a car.

We want to go bike riding, hiking (in my case) climbing, etc.
It is devastating when that doesn't happen in a certain period of time.

I pushed myself to get where I wanted to be and do the things I wanted to do (I am trying to climb all the 4,000 ft mountains in NH and VT), only to be smacked with the reality that I wasn't going to get there...yet.

Instead, I am recovering from a revision.

I am working on wrapping my head around another summer without major physical activity.
Who knows?
As for you, you are still early. Patience is necessary (I know it is in little supply because I have been there).
Massage is good.
I am waiting for my OS to clear me to go back because it was so helpful to me.
Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be?
I certainly hope not, but this stuff takes time.
I think you should definately sit down with your OS to discuss your options.
It may help to go over your pain med routine. Maybe you need a little something extra to help relax your muscles?
My doc put me ona muscle relaxant for my rehab, and I think it is helping my back and my quads.'

Yoga is a great option as well. You can use aids to help you with the poses and it is a good way to stretch you out,

I know you are not using any walking aids, but if you are still limping heavily, you might reconsider them.
They take some of the weight off so you can concentrate on getting a correct gait.
Just some suggestions, I hope that things start to look up for you soon.
Best,
Sandy
 
Hi Sandy, thanks for the kind words and perspective.

It is frustrating when my older clients are moving along so well in recovery when I am so slow in my own. I know its reality, but it challenges me.

I hope you aren't on the sidelines for the summer, and as you say, who knows. It's also one my goals to start hiking the Vt & NH mountains. I traveled to Middlebury last week over the mountain pass, and there were so many cars parked at the trailheads. I would love to be out there. Without the extension though, it does make it less likely that I will be able to even tackle a small one.

My big goal; I really want to be able to get in my kayak. Not sure I have the flexibility or the strength to get into and out of the boat. Still many weeks before we would normally get the boats out, just hoping I can get that far. The Connecticut River is calling to me!

I do plan to sit down and have a heart to heart with my OS. I feel like I know him really well and he does care that I get my life back. I never considered any muscle relaxers, so I will mention that. Meds wise, taking Celebrex as prescribed, and Tylenol as Josephine recommends, but nothing else. I started taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin again, since my non TKR knee is starting to act up. I have never had any issues with it before. Now its becoming a daily problem. get lots of crunchy feelings in it, then had it twinge/snap as I was walking around the office yesterday, kind of went into a hyper extension. That hurt. I do not want to entertain the idea of any surgery on it until I am fully comfortable with the TKR knee.

Yoga is on the list for sure. Stretching for me has got to help with my overall well being.

My limp is the worst when I have been sitting down with knees bent at 90 degrees or more for any length of time. With my job being tied to a desk, there are few options. I did buy a laptop desk that I am using right now to hold my keyboard and type from, that way I can keep my leg stretched. I will bring it to work and see if it helps there too.

Its just more of the same; weeks tick by and feel like I am stuck. I do appreciate the suggestions and hope you too find yourself better soon.

Many thanks,

Dawn
 
My limp is the worst when I have been sitting down with knees bent at 90 degrees or more for any length of time.
Use a kitchen timer with alarm to prompt you to get up every 30 minutes or so?
 
When I was in recovery, I tended to watch lots of home improvement programmes which typically last about 45-60 minutes. The programme end was my signal to get up and walk around the room! (but never too far away from the TV lest I miss something!)
 
Thanks Roy and Jo,

I do get up every 30 minutes or so and stretch, and try to wiggle in my seat otherwise. It does help, but some days are better than others.

I haven't been on my bike, been to massage or done anything other than normal activities since Wednesday. TRying to take a solid week off to see how I feel. This morning seems like the swelling might be down a bit, freer movement at least. You were right Roy, scale back and it did help.

Jo, the home improvement shows are the programs that I watched as well. After a while it drove my hubby a little batty, but he survived!!

Be well friends!

Dawn
 
Jo and Dawn,

My husband would not let me watch the home improvemnt shows because he thught his "HONEY DO" list would get to long, so we watched the Food Network channel until I think I could be a gourmet by now.
 
Rose, love your comment!

We did manage to watch a few Food Network shows but soon gave that up because it was too much of a tease to hear about all that great food and not be able to get into the kitchen and cook it!!

Day 6 of little activity and knee is okay. Its so hard to tell where this is going, wish I could see into the future to know where this is taking me. Patience, patience!

Have a great day!

Dawn
 
Quick update, went to massage therapist after a week of doing no bike, no massage, no anything. My knee tolerated the session quite well, so far, so good. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

On another note, I have decided my knee is bi-polar. Sometimes it feels really pretty good, but then the next thing I know it hurts and isn't cooperating. Perhaps it's just a toddler that needs training!

Anyway, be well friends. It's back to cold weather in Vermont, 28 degrees and snow this morning!

Dawn
 
Good to hear that the knee is moving forward and tolerated today's session.Hope this is a sign of good things ahead.:thumb:

I have to agree with you about the bi-polar nature of these knees. They have a mind of their own and call the shots. Mine acted like that for about 8 months. I never knew what to expect in the way of swelling and pain. However, once everything came together, that became a past pattern that did not come back.:snork: I hope the same for you soon.:friends:.
 
Hi Dawn
At least all is calm with your knee at present. Your weather is so up and down, I bet the jumpers are in and out of your wardrobe :th_heehee:. Have a good day!
 
Back
Top Bottom