Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

Yes, know that we will be with you as your backups---. The iPad was a little crazy the first two or three days with the drugs!!! But, I could still play Plants and Zombies!!! K
 
Dawn, I will pray that your surgrey will go as smooth as mind did and that your recover will at least be as good as mine. You will be one by mind until the operation is over and they I need to hear how you are doing. What I found out is the second time you knew what was coming and that does help so much. You know the ice, Rest, Elevate and pain control so all is set. Sounds like you are all set. Now Relax until then . Please keep us posted. WE CARE. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1: We can help you climb this hill by being there for you!
 
Prayers are appreciated, thanks Sonya and Tashia!

Kelly, the funny thing about TKR was that for the few days i was in the hospital, my husband was playing Angry Birds while I would snooze off and on. Every once in a while, I would wake up from my drug induced daze and hear "weeeeee"! At first I thought I was hallucinating until I figured it out!

Thanks all for being out there!

Dawn
 
Dawn,
All positive thoughts your way for a smooth surgery and recovery. Looking forward to your posts.:flwrysmile:
 
Prayers are appreciated, thanks Sonya and Tashia!

Kelly, the funny thing about TKR was that for the few days i was in the hospital, my husband was playing Angry Birds while I would snooze off and on. Every once in a while, I would wake up from my drug induced daze and hear "weeeeee"! At first I thought I was hallucinating until I figured it out!

Thanks all for being out there!

Dawn
:loll:Best wishes for tomorrow.
 
Best of everything, Dawn. My prayers are with you for this being the LAST op. Take care, post when you're able---we want to know everything. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Wow, I am overwhelmed, thank you all so much for the good wishes! It brings tears to my eyes, you have no idea how much I appreciate the support.

I heard from the hospital and will need to be there at 7 am. I have no idea how long the surgery is expected to take, but I am the first one on the schedule, thank God. I am definitely nervous, but know what to expect this time. Now to manage the butterflies and try to settle down for the night. I am really wound up, lots of nervous energy!

Will check in tomorrow AM.

Be well friends,

Dawn
 
My little Bub woke me up at 4am, gave me a wet kiss on the nose! I was hoping to sleep a little longer but its okay. I normally would have had 2 cups of coffee by now but nothing to drink or eat before surgery. I really like my coffee...tomorrow will have hubby bring me a cup from Dunkin' Donuts!

the butterflies are really kicking in now, tingly feelings in my hands. Thinking positive thoughts and looking forward to a new beginning for this knee.

Will check in later!

Dawn
 
Quick update post surgery: had spinal for anesthesia, and femoral block. They took me in for surgery around 8:30am, surgery was scheduled for 2 hours, it ended up being 2 1/2. Woke up in recovery room feeling pretty good, no knee pain but back pain. It wasn't too bad but enough to cause them to give me something for it. Stretching helped a bit as well, although anesthesiologist didn't want me moving too much. Was there for about an hour, then put me in the CPM machine, then shortly after that moved me to my room, lucky number 7!

I felt very little for the first couple hours, have the morphine pump which I have used as needed. They brought me a bit of lunch, chicken noodle soup and a small sandwich. The soup was warm and really tasted good, I was hungry! Sipping ginger ale and trying to relax.

Doing a few ankle pumps and stretching towards my toes, feel good to move a bit. I was in the CPM until 2:30, just to keep gentle movement. Cryocuff is on and has been from the beginning, can now start to feel the cold against my knee, also feels good. Pain level is at a 6 as the block is wearing off. The tightness and ache is starting to kick in, so they just gave to 2 oxy and some Tylenol. Hope that helps. I will stay well ahead of the pain this time.

OS came into recovery and gave me his report. He said the scar tissue was very thick behind the knee, like a wall, he said there was no way with all the pushing in the world that I would have broken through it., hence why it took longer than planned. He said he took a lot of scar tissue out, further up the back of the knee than anticiapted. He said there was scar tissue in front as well, but not like in the back. I didn't think to ask him about the spacer and if he changed the size, will do that when I see him next. He said I will be very sore behind the knee, due to all the work and time he spent there. He said it was a real mess. This just confirms why I needed to go through with this procedure. I hope to ask him more questions when I see him later today or tomorrow. Any other things I should be inquiring about?

I am planning to use the board as a way to journal so I can look back later, so I apologize in advance if it gets a little detailed. I hope creating perspective a few months down the road will help me in some way.

Many thanks for being out there! Will check in later.

Dawn
 
Dawn,
Good to hear from you, especially so soon. Very happy for you that things went well. You sound to be in a very positive place. Remember the mantra and do get some REST. Will wait to hear from you later.
 
Great to hear you are out of surgery, now we know why your knee would not move. Will be interested to see what the OS has to say about the condition of the rest of your knee.
Thanks for keeping us posted!:egypdance:
 
Dawn, good use of the board, I did some of that myself.

Scar tissue behind the knee and in front too was your knee cap compromised? Mine had trouble moving.

Did he change the space---I know you don't know, just thinking of questions.

What does he recommend for rehab? My doc would not let me do anything at all for 8 week. For three weeks I just laid on the couch. He did not want me to exercise on an inflammed knee--wanted the tissue to heal before I began strengthening. What is your doc's opinion? protocol?

I went to pt at 3 weeks, all they did was patella mobilization, massage the knee for swelling and help me do leg lifts, quad sets and e stym to help the quad wake up. Nothing more until 8 weeks.

what does he see at the outcome of this procedure?

Be careful---I had a lot of soft tissue pain on the second day. Kelly
 
OS just came in, gave me a bit more detail. He said the scar tissue was really thick. He said the scar tissue had grown right up against the bones in the back of the joint and started to grow into the space where the spacer goes. He said there was actually a calcified "bridge" at that point. No issues with the prosthesis, but the scar tissue was prolific. He said it took quite a while, and he removed scar tissue up and down the back of the knee, much farther than he anticipated. He drew me a picture on the white board in my room to show me what he meant. This just confirms that I truly had a major issue going on in the joint and there really was no other way to deal with it.

He said I wouldn't like him very much in the coming days because of all the work he had to do. He said it will be really sore and painful, all the more important to stay ahead of the pain. He said he'd see me in the morning and went on home.

Before he came in my stomach started to feel upset, so asked for some help with that and they complied. The pain is starting to kick back in with the knee, so will ask for more oxy as soon as I can get it.

Looks like a bit more complex of a procedure than expected, but I was prepared for bad news. I hope the time spent in cleaning out the joint makes the difference.

Be back later!

Dawn
 
Dawn,

It is good to hear from you! So much scar tissue! Wow. I'm glad he took care of that and I hope that solves your problems! :angel:
 
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
Happy surgery is over and you have an answer. You sound very upbeat and positive. Rest and stay ahead of the pain. Looking forward to your next post.
 
Wow Dawn, you are writing so well for being on pain meds. I told my husband to bring the laptop along to help keep him company and I was wondering if I would be able to post anything for myself and you showed me you can do it. One thing with all the work you had done, at least you weren't imagining that something was wrong with your knee. That is my biggest fear that I am imagining the pain and just being a wimp and really shouldn't need surgery. I will soon find out. Do what your doctor says and rest now.
 
Back
Top Bottom