Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful

It could likely be about the same experience as having the original replacement. Don't expect any less and then if it is, it will be a nice surprise! But the incision will probably be about the same though, of course, there won't be any bone cutting so that will step it down a bit. At a guess, you'll probably need full cover for for maybe 4 weeks then slowly tailing off to about 6-8 weeks.


Yes... I generally agree with this.

Orthodoc
 
Dawn, One thing that I know now is that we are all different about pain and pain meds as well as our recoveries.

I had open lysis of adhesions and a spacer exchange. I will tell you that I took oycontin for 10 days and percoset for two weeks. At the end of that time, I changed to Tramadol which I used pen for two more weeks. by one month, I was off all pain meds except Celebrex.

The pain was much less than the original, but those first few days the knee felt stiff and painful. That feeling left much sooner than it did with the tkr, however. By the end of the first week, there was a significant drop in the pain. I did not do any pt for the first three weeks. I spent a lot of time lying on the couch with ice during that period. I walked the dog outside--for a much shorter walk. I used crutches for about two weeks. I never used a walker or a cane.

I hope this gives you some idea of my recovery, so that you can draw your own conclusions. Kelly
 
Thanks Jo, Kelly and Orthodoc. I appreciate the feedback. I've been trying to convince myself that it won't be as bad as the TKR, but I need to be realistic.

3 weeks is starting to close in on me. Lots to do, getting real....nerves kicking in....
 
Good morning,

I am dog sitting for my son again this weekend. Taking Otis out for a walk 3-4 times a day has been an interesting change to my routine. Getting more walking in than normal. Knee feels okay, still the missing extension has my gait way off.

Revision on August 14th is making me nervous, not ready to go back to the brain fog of recovery. Its been so nice to have a clear head and stamina again.

I am seriously thinking about declining PT this time around and doing it at home. I don't want to fly in the face of my OS recommendations, but I don't want to go back to being pushed too hard, too soon. Would it be reasonable not to go to PT until swelling is down to a reasonable level, like 3-4 weeks after? The revision is to exchange the spacer, remove scar tissue and a posterior capsular release. I know ski girl did exactly this method and has had a great outcome. The experts here have told me to expect this to be a similar experience to the TKR, but without the bone cutting, perhaps better, but unknown.

THanks for being out there!

Dawn
 
Dawn, I think taking it easy
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
for the first few weeks 'til swelling is down and brain fog has lifted is a very smart way to go. Giving tissues time to heal--not putting them under more stress is likely to keep you from developing more scar tissue. I think following skigirl's [Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful lead is definitely the way to go.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] My left knee story, revision complete 8/14/12, hopeful
 
Good Morning,

I have a few questions maybe skigirl, Josephine, Orthodoc, can help me with; in this next procedure, should I expect the same quad weakness I had with TKR ? Should I expect the same energy drain as with TKR?

I am trying to be as prepared as possible, both practically and mentally, so any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawn
 
Dawn, I would say yes after my own experience. I had/have quad weakness and I was quite tired for the first three or four weeks. I did have some depression due to the surgery too---so be prepared if you find yourself in a slump!!

I ended up taking an antidepressent for three months. And, it did help me cope with the surgery and its after math.

I am not sure how you are going to rehab the knee, but my pt had me do absolutely nothing except wall sliides and leg lifts for the first month. for the second month, I mainly did table stuff. I have really just started working out and I am amazed at my weakness. A friend in the gym laughed at me yesterday. I was dripping with sweat and trying to balance Kelly
 
Good Morning,

I have a few questions maybe skigirl, Josephine, Orthodoc, can help me with; in this next procedure, should I expect the same quad weakness I had with TKR ? Should I expect the same energy drain as with TKR?


To answer this I will quote your other post:

He said what he would recommend is, open the knee up along the incision for the TKR, take out the spacer to reach behind the knee and do a posterior capsular release. At the same time, he would remove all the scar tissue in front and around the knee, and do a manipulation as well, to make sure the joint is moving very freely.

Based on this description, your OS will need very good exposure to your knee. Additionally, there will be a lot of soft tissue work. I would expect that this will shut down your quads similar to you original TKA. However, as you have stated before, hopefully the recovery time will be less since no bone work is anticipated. You should anticipate a similar drain in your energy, but its possible that it would be less.

Orthodoc.
 
Thank you Kelly and Orthodoc for the reply. I am taking 3 weeks off and planning to do very little during that time except ice, elevate, rest and be religious with pain control. I expect I will have a CPM at home same as after the TKR and will use it. I am not sure about formal PT, still need to consider it carefully. Honestly, where I did PT last time, the lead PT wasn't as good as the personal trainer who did about half my PT. he was great with massage and seemed more invested in my recovery. I will check a couple of other options as well.

Knowing these answers gives me more insight and a little time to get my head around this. Thanks again!

Dawn
 
I had my pre-op appointment with the PA in my OS Office. I was a little leary at first when the nurse said, oh, I see you're having a scope next week....I was like no, just a little more like a revision, then explained. When the PA came in, he knew what we were doing, and went through the drill with me. He said they would go in through the TKR incision, remove/replace the spacer, release the posterior capsule and clean up the scar tissue. He also said they may change the size of the spacer and would decide at the time of surgery.

He said I could expect to be in the hospital for 2 days, then play ot by ear. He told me the recovery should be quicker than the TKR but to plan for the worst. He seems to have taken a few lessons from our own BoneSmarties here!! He is pretty realistic and said the last couple of these they have done have had great results. I hope thats the case for me too!!

After, I went to the hospital for pre-admission testing and found out that I am the first surgery next Tuesday, I have to be there at 6:30am. Glad I will be going in early. The nurse actually remembered me and said that I should expect to see the same faces from the TKR and the MUA, and that makes me feel good. Its a small country hospital and they do a lot of Orthopedic work there. I like that atmosphere a lot!

Getting nervous and shaky stomach thing. I know I should be used to all this but its never easy going into these things. I have a lot of loose ends to tie up over the next 7 days so busy is the word.

I will update as I go along. Here's hoping for straight legs!!

Dawn
 
Dawn, I hope this will be the last of it. Soundsl like your doc is on the right page to me, anyway. I am three months out and mostly feel frustrated that I am so weak. Am working in the gym very steadily now. And, I have no scar tissue in my left knee---rom 145. So, be encouraged, and take it easy those first couple of months. Remember, adhesions form more rapidly when you exercise an inflamed knee. Kelly
 
Thanks Kelly!

I discussed PT with the PA and told him that I would not be going back to the place I had PT before; they were too aggressive and pushed way too hard. He suggested I try a PT my husband has used. He said they like her a lot and get good results. My husband has been to her with shoulder issues and he recovered very nicely. It's worth a try.

I pledge to take things very slowly and be cautious not to create more swelling with unnecessary exercise, especially early on. This time I am armed with more information and testimony from my friends here who have been in these shoes of mine.

I hope your weakness abates and you can build your strength again. I know how frustrating it can be but patience trumps all else!

Thanks for being out there. Going into this procedure feeling more isolated than ever.

Be well,

Dawn
 
Dawn....it sounds like you have a great medical team on your side. Here's hoping this will do the trick for you. Please know that you have your whole BoneSmart family behind you. You're never, even alone!!! We're as close as your computer and ready with hugs and support!
 
Dawn,

I have just caught up on your posts! Wow, you have been through a lot! I will be praying that this surgery is the answer to all of your knee problems! :angel:
 
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I will be looking for all the support I can get.
 
Dawn, and don't think that for a moment that you are alone. So many folks here will think of you and wonder how you are doing, including me!! Be well and think only positivie thoughts. My prayers are with you. K
 
Hi all,

Getting laundry done and food stocked up for the first couple of weeks after surgery. My Freezer and fridge are completely full, and so is the pantry; it looks like I am prepping for a hurricane!!

My oldest son came home from Boston with his girlfriend, got here Friday. He turned 24 this week, so had birthday cake with our youngest and his girlfriend Friday night. It was nice having them all here, but nagging in the back of my head is the surgery.

I am hoping that tomorrow at work goes smoothly and I can tie up all my loose ends. I always worry so much when I'm away for any length of time. I know I shouldn't be so concerned but it's hard. I have a huge amount of responsibility and care very deeply for my clients.

I plan to post as I go through this procedure, as much for support as for my perspective in the weeks ahead. I wish i had done that with the TKR, as I think it would have helped me now a great deal. Thankfully the iPad is the perfect bedside companion!

Will check in tomorrow. Be well friends,

Dawn
 
Hi Dawn,

We will be waiting to hear about your surgery! I will be praying for you! Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much. :friends:
 
Back
Top Bottom