TKR My Journey

My surgeon was nice, he is pleasant and perky. But he is a fan of PT and especially the pool, which was way too much for me at 4 weeks. (50 minute session of lots of bending and walking. It took me 3 days to recover. ) (it was at the YMCA and the locker room was jr high stress all over again! :scary:)

He also pushed my knee into too much of a bend to measure at all but my last appointment. :bignono:
 
Oh my. I’m sorry he hurt you. Definitely too much time bending and walking. Ouch! And ooh, no thank you, to the locker room.
 
Thankfully I only did the pool once.
 
I’d say so. It might feel nice at the time but I don’t wish to be in tons of pain.
 
The pool did not feel good when I was in it. The pool was crowded which gave the water too much movement, I was only 4 weeks and still unsteady. I was very tense. They had me walking backwards! I couldn’t wait to get out! 50 minutes! I was so mad by the time I got out.

The only thing nice about it was the warm temperature of the water.

I think I’m the only one on Bonesmart that doesn’t like the pool. My community has one so I spent time in it last summer. My knee always felt huge in the water. (Still does in the shower!) I found I did too much bending in the water even at 4 months so I stopped going. When you’re in the pool talking to people you tend to keep moving.

If any of us are anti PT, we have a reason we’re that way.
 
That sounds awful. I haven’t tried a pool. Backwards? That’s crazy! I’m so glad you stopped going. I wouldn’t like it either, especially if it was crowded. :holysheep:
 
@Beckadeez, you are doing great at 4 weeks! Your ROM is fantastic, and that's with no PT. Way to go, girl!
 
It did for me with 11 knee surgeries and 1 shoulder surgery!
 
So what else might I try when I go to the pool? I'll gentle walk for sure but what about slow kicking? Bad? Good? I'm curious what the resistance of water is going to feel like on the knee..
 
I have no clue about pool exercises. I’m curious now. There’s no indoor pool near me, though.
 
I think it's too early to be going to a pool. Water resistance is like using weights on your knee and this early out it will be bad for your knee. If you do go, take it very, very easy! I went at four months out and swam just a half of a lap. I suffered for two weeks afterwards! I waited for 6 months out, and I had a great time then!
 
I’m wondering if it’s normal for the size of my numb spot to grow? It was about the size of a quarter, now it’s the whole right half of my knee.
 
Well, mine has not grown that I remember. My numbness is better and never bothered me.
 
Mine never got bigger. That said, my ability to perceive the size might have changed over time. What Celle says makes sense.
 
I have an OS appt on the 21st and am going to have to request an x-ray on my other knee to see how far the arthritis in it, has progressed. It now hurts worse than my surgery knee. Thankful that my TKR knee isn’t bothering me, though.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom