TKR My Journey

That’s awesome that your newly recovering knee feels better than the other knee! I wish I could say that!

Before surgery both my knees felt about the same pain-wise. Thankfully the non operated one has been doing very well since surgery and I keep telling it it has to stay that way!

I’m sorry you still have a painful one.
 
Just rub your non operated one and whisper sweet nothings to it, ha ha. And thank you. I hope your non operated one holds up for a long time, for you.
 
There’s something to be said for not letting the remaining original knee go too long. Is your left knee bone on bone?
 
Not yet. But the last time I had a steroid shot, it didn’t work. I can’t bend it all the way, either. I’d like to get it taken care of sooner than later.
 
I am a converted Bonesmartie. I am not going to Physiotherapy this time with my second tkr.

I quite simply will let nature take its course. I take my meds every 4 hours, I ice my knee religiously and elevate most of the day. Just walking and normal day to day life is my physio therapy. I am listening to my body on this recovery, and I know my outcome will be great.
Hugs to all .
X
 
Have you been elevating and icing frequently? I ask because ice can really help a lot with pain. It was my best friend after I stopped my oxy (did evil things to my stomach) and went to Tylenol only.

There is so much about this surgery that can bring on frustration. :unsure: You’re in the roughest stretch right now.

My Dr gave OXI only and he stressed only as needed! I have only had Tylenol and a couple other meds he gives for nerve
Pain!
Other meds he
 
Have you been elevating and icing frequently? I ask because ice can really help a lot with pain. It was my best friend after I stopped my oxy (did evil things to my stomach) and went to Tylenol only.

There is so much about this surgery that can bring on frustration. :unsure: You’re in the roughest stretch right now.
Have you been elevating and icing frequently? I ask because ice can really help a lot with pain. It was my best friend after I stopped my oxy (did evil things to my stomach) and went to Tylenol only.

There is so much about this surgery that can bring on frustration. :unsure: You’re in the roughest stretch right now.

My Dr gave OXI only and he stressed only as needed! I have only had Tylenol and a couple other meds he gives for nerve
Pain!
Other meds he
Have you been elevating and icing frequently? I ask because ice can really help a lot with pain. It was my best friend after I stopped my oxy (did evil things to my stomach) and went to Tylenol only.

There is so much about this surgery that can bring on frustration. :unsure: You’re in the roughest stretch right now.

My Dr gave OXI only and he stressed only as needed! I have only had Tylenol and a couple other meds he gives for nerve
Pain!
Other meds he

Sorry for the goofy message! It posted before I was finished!
I’m sad you are in pain! Wish you could take the same meds as me .....
 
It now hurts worse than my surgery knee
Mine did that until my tkr got better and could take on more of my weight. Now, the old knee is doing better. Yours might do the same thing once your new knee takes over some of the responsibilities of ADL.
 
Yes, I’m icing and elevating. Mine also posted before I even wrote anything. Weird.

@sistersinhim I’m hoping that’s all it is and that it’s not getting worse. Eventually it will need to be replaced, as well.
 
Tylenol doesn’t help me at all, not even for a headache. I take Naproxen and it works well.
 
@Beckadeez What made you decide to not go to PT or do any exercises ? I agree with recovering that way.

If I have to have mine redone I will not go to PT. Been there, done that.
 
Tylenol doesn’t help me at all, not even for a headache. I take Naproxen and it works well.
How much do you take each time?
Often, when Americans say Tylenol doesn't work, it's because they are taking an inadequate dose.

The correct therapeutic dose is 1,000 mg 4-6 hourly, to a total of no more than 4,000 mg in 24 hours.
You need to check any other medicines you are taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them. If there is, scale back your straight Tylenol doses, to keep within 4,000 mg each day.
 
@Jockette To be honest, I don’t like to exercise other than walking, and I just didn’t want to go to PT. It was irritating to me, to have to get out in the car to go to therapy. Plus, I’m just hard-headed, ha ha.

@Celle 1000mg for a headache. It doesn’t help at all. Naproxen works at the 800mg dose every 6 hours or so. The TV commercials here tout Naproxen as working for 12 hours. Nope!
 
I don’t like to exercise either. I’m not even crazy about walking but it’s easier than any other option and can be done in the house in my Jammie’s! My previous house in Ohio was better suited to house walking, it had a lovely circle to do. The house I’m in now has a circle at one end but I have to do an about face at the other end which my knee isn’t crazy about.

I was just wondering how you came to your decision. It’s the way I will go if I have to do mine over. I’m hard headed enough to stand firm on no PT but I am terrified if the subject comes up at my surgeon’s office. I guess I’ll have to get over that! Like we’ve read many times, it’s our body and our decision and I’m not a newby any longer. I’ve learned a lot in this last year! And yes, it usually cane up at my current surgeon’s office.
 
My surgeon asked if I was going. I said no and he begged me to please go even just once a week. Don’t know why. I had already decided not to go but this site reinforced my decision and put me at ease. I love to walk but haven’t been able to in a long time. It was “Me time”. I also was afraid my surgeon would me mad but he wasn’t. Just tell yours how it is. In a nice way, of course. I still can’t believe how many people on here still do PT. It astounds me. All of that extra pain for nothing.
 
You are so right @Beckadeez. That's why so many of us try and help those that are having pain from aggressive PT. It breaks my heart to know that people are in agony and don't have to be.
 
I fully support individualized decisions concerning participation in physical therapy. I have actually enjoyed my physical therapy. I feel that the work I’ve done at physical therapy has helped with my recovery. My physical therapist only push me to discomfort not to pain. It is my belief that going to PT has helped my gait and progressing off the cane. I enjoy the knee massage and the electric stimulation at the end of my session with the ice is wonderful.

Physical therapy shouldn’t be feared, for some it is a great option; but, I also understand that it is not for everyone. Just wanted to provide a different point of view. I am very glad that your recovery is going great without physical therapy.
 
It all depends on the therapist you have and how strong a person is in assuring the PT will not be painful. Therapy is a good source of help in this recovery if done right and not traumatize an already traumatized knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom