TKR My Journey

And walkers are great, I liked mine better than my cane!
 
I had TKR 1-18. First two weeks were AWFUL due to inadequate pain control. So many tears. Only took my meds as directed, first 4 days, 2@4 hrs. Didn’t take all pain away, pain got acute @ 3 hrs, when that prescrip ran out, PA dropped to 1@6 hrs, which was unbearable. PA would not return my call, kept getting voice mail from triage, just got fed up. ice, ice, ice and elevate. Iced about 20 hrs/day.

Had home PT first two weeks, was brutal, but made progress. Outpatient PT was GREAT!, had the best PT dr. 2 weeks, 3/ week. He did a lot of tissue massage, which felt great, lots of stretching. At the end, I have 122 flex and -2 extension.

Beginning week 3, lots of quad, calf pain. Very painful. Sciatica pain has set in, which is very painful and causing lots of issues. Knee is doing better each day.

Unfortunately, no one prepares us for the brutality of the recovery to be expected the first two weeks. The drs need tomunderstand, we’re not druggies, looking to score opiates. Jeeze, I’m a 63 year old woman!!

I can assure you, each day WILL get better. Listen to your body, do what works for you. We all have our own tolerances. At four weeks out, I still have lots of swelling, get very tired, still have pain, but every day is better than the last.

Keep posting and I know you WILL improve.
 
@Jockette Thank you. I try to be positive every day except on those days that I cry. Have to let it out. Most days are good, though, so I’m happy. I appreciate your encouraging words. Hugs...

@Whatdidido I sometimes ask myself “What did I do?” It’s def challenging, to say the least. Gee whiz! I’m sorry to hear about your sciatica. I fear having that, too. I hope your resolves soon. Haven’t you been through enough? And yes, every day is better than the last. I’m thankful for that, and for my knee replacement buddies. Hugs...
 
Beckadeez, yes, I had those days of tears, still have bouts. I get very overwhelmed and don’t feel like I’m progressing enough. To help me, about day 10 post op, I began writing. Just how I felt, how the knee/leg was doing, what I did, how I slept, when I took meds. It’s helped me stay focused, and it’s helped me see that yes, I am doing well, I AM making progress. I am getting better. Hugs to you too!
 
Another frustrating thing is loved ones who don’t have a clue what we are going through. They expect us to be well, soon after surgery. I direct them to this site.
 
It is indeed! We see both ends of the spectrum in here though - on the one hand, families who haven't a clue and on the other, families who haven't a clue and want to dictate everything the patient does!
 
I can't tell you how many times I have been told, "You mean you are not recovered. What is wrong?" People have no clue and don't understand why I ice and elevate. Sometimes, I want to scream and yell.
 
@4quilts Yes! I admit that I didn’t understand either, before I had the surgery, but I never treated people that way. Screaming and yelling might help, ha ha.
 
I haven't had the nerve to watch yet but I think there are videos of TKRs on YouTube or other places online. My PT asked me if I had seen one and said it is pretty impressive. Maybe your families need to see it! I'm waiting till I'm all recovered before looking at it.
 
I watched the videos before and I’ve watched it again after. It’s impressive to say the least. My family has also watched, and even though they have watched , I think they are still thinking I should be better than I am.
 
My son in law is a pediatric pathologist, which means part of his job is doing autopsies. On children and babies.

I once told him I hadn’t yet watched a video of this surgery but was tempted. He replied, “I wouldn’t advise it. I saw one once and it was the closest I ever came to fainting”. I am assuming he saw it in person and not on a video.

Early in his surgical rotation he amputated a leg. He didn’t mention coming close to fainting with that one.

Which tells me this is quite the surgery, since he handles those other things ok.
 
@MSgirl I watched a lot of videos before surgery. Kinda wish I hadn’t, but I’m a very curious person. I watched c-section tv shows before my kids were born. Medicine fascinates me.

@jboles I think the videos are just what my family needs to see. It is indeed, impressive.

@Jockette Wow! I couldn’t do his job. I wouldn’t want to be involved in an amputation either. Any surgery like this, would probably cause me to faint, if I saw them in person. Shew!
 
I have discussed the Bonesmart approach to recovery with him and he was surprisingly receptive to it. I thought sure being a doctor he would have bought into the current “must do PT” approach.
 
I’m surprised, too. I’m almost afraid to discuss it with my doctor. But he may be open-minded as well.
 
I never mentioned it to my OS. I just didn't go to PT. He was happy with my recovery and so was I!
 
I have not discussed it with my surgeon. :yikes: And won’t initiate that conversation.
 
But I do admit to fear and trembling in anticipation of that question, which usually does come up at my check ups.

But it doesn’t stop me from doing what I think is best for me!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom