TKR My Journey

Beckadeez, you are exactly right. It's your body and you are responsible for recovery! What's your OS going to do, fire you? :rotfl: He can't do that, but you can fire him! We are the customers and the OS and PT are our employees! We all need to remember that. We are paying them, not the other way around.
 
Right, you are. We pay them. Sometimes we don’t think about that. Today, I’m 4 weeks out. I haven’t been doing much, but I’m in pain. Just took some Naproxen.
 
I woke up several times from my sedation during my TKR and could see the surgeon in his space suit hammering and sawing away, although there was a screen to stop me seeing anything - I had a bit of a conversation with the anaesthetist before I drifted off back to sleep. It didn't bother me at all. I could have opted for no sedation, just the spinal block, but I'm not sure I was quite ready to do that!

It is incredible what the medical profession can do - it fascinates me too.
 
I love all things medical, and have been an observer for many operations. I draw the line, though, at watching someone operate on me! Minor procedures are all right, but I passed on the chance to watch my own knee replacements. Knock me out, Doc!

I’m so happy to hear you’re getting out and enjoying some walks, @Beckadeez!
 
I never thought of myself as the fainting type but I did almost pass out watching my 9 year old have blood drawn for an allergy test. I started to get warm and light headed and had to step out of the cubicle and slide down the wall to a squat. I was like, what? I had 3 children by natural childbirth and I’ve seen plenty of blood in my life, but this day a couple of drops almost put me over the edge! When we got in our van to drive home I had to just sit a few minutes until I felt comfortable to drive! :shrug:
 
@robhunt3 Glad you didn’t see anything. That would freak me out.

@SusieShoes I wouldn’t mind seeing others’ surgeries but not mine. No way! And it’s in the 70s here again today. It’s wonderful outside!

@Jockette Don’t feel bad. I can’t watch blood draws either, especially my own. Ugh. I don’t know why it’s so disturbing. And kudos to you for natural childbirth. No thanks! I had 2 c-sections.
 
I did almost pass out watching my 9 year old have blood drawn for an allergy test.
It's different when it's one of your nearest and dearest. I went into the anaesthetic room with my sister many years ago - she was uber anxious so I asked to go in to support her. But after only a few minutes, I came over all light headed and sweaty. Fortunately the anaesthetic assistant noticed and asked me to put blood pressure cuff and ECG electrodes on. It's odd what they say about doing something familiar pulls you out of it but I was shocked - I mean, ME?? I've worked in theatres almost all my life - I don't faint! The very thought!
 
4 week checkup today. My OS is very pleased. I love that man! He jokes and is funny, plus he’s a wonderful surgeon. I told him I wasn’t going to PT. He begged me to please go once a week. Yes, begged, with the facial expression to match. My flexion is 115 so there’s no need to go. I do no exercises at home, either, just ADL. He said my extension is great too. Not sure what the number is. I’m feeling great! Refilled my pain medication and am elevating and icing.

I’d like to change my thread name to My Journey
 
I also finally asked what my implant is and it’s a Stryker Press Fit, although when I looked it up, I only found a Titanium Triathlon knee. It’s cement-free, in any case.
 
I also got a letter in the mail from my insurance, stating that they won’t pay for my rental of the CPM machine. They only pay if it’s used because of a problem with the knee after surgery. I’m dumbfounded. I thought it would have been pre-approved. It’s not right at all. I’m not happy about it.
 
Maybe your surgeon ‘s office can appeal to the insurance for the cpm machine.

And I want your surgeon!
 
Last edited:
wowza Beckadeez, your flexion is excellent and apparently your extension is too. sounds like you have a very open-minded surgeon with a good bedside manner ~ lucky you. you'll be happy you don't have to go out to p.t., you can rehab on your own terms at home. you can always go if you feel you need to. i enjoyed the treatments i had; whether they helped or not, i'll never know, but they felt good. i did not like the drive back and forth though.:flwrysmile:
 
I found this site, and stopped worrying about bending, etc. I’m thankful for all of you. You’re all great! PT is a pain, in more ways than one. I’m glad to hear that you had PT that made you feel good. Some stories I’ve read on here make me cringe. Hugs...
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom