TKR My Journey

Good luck getting something to help.
 
Try your PCP. Many on here have had a good outcome with them.
 
Why - cus your muscles will all go wobbly? (
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey
) Sometimes I despair of these doctors! Always worrying about litigation!
 
When my back acted up BIG time while I was recovering, I took a muscle-relaxer. Never came close to falling, unless you count falling asleep at the keyboard.

If your PCP won’t give you a muscle relaxer, try heat. I know heat is contraindicated for the knee, but I think you could try heat on your calf muscle, to see if you can get that to relax.
 
I was lying in bed last night and realized that I joined this site in December. I found it via a link, but didn’t start reading stories until after my surgery. What a help it would have been, then, and is, now.
 
Reading the recovery threads (other people's stories) really helped me. When something new popped up, like a sudden increase in pain after the nerve block wore off (day 2) or my knees swelled up after PT and hurt like the dickens, I knew what was going on and didn't jump straight on into worrying. "Well, I know what that is and what to do about it" and just forge ahead.

Knowing what happened to other people doesn't prevent anything (unless knowing keeps you from making a mistake), but it does ease the mind a lot!
 
I joined the site 6 months before my tkr. I had just had another meniscus repair and was told I needed I tkr. I had already had 10 knee surgeries and not done PT, so I totally agreed with the gentle BS recovery! But, I didn't know what to expect after a tkr before this site. I read just about every thread involving the recovery, so like SusieShoes, I knew what was normal and what wasn't normal. Thank God, all my aches and pains, swelling and bruising was all normal. To have peace of mind is half the battle of healing! I also follow the daily activity schedule as best as I could. I would recommend the BS way to anyone having a replacement. It's a shame so many won't even listen to us. We just want to help!
 
I found Bonesmart about 4 weeks after surgery, when PT was getting to be too much. I didn’t join, though, until about 5 months post op.

Before I joined I would google my question then add “post op tkr Bonesmart” and links would come up with people on here who had that issue or a similar one. Some were from several years ago. They were always very helpful!
 
My quads, hamstring and IT Band were very tight after my MUA. They were painful and hindering my recovery. My physical therapist did, and still does, deep tissue and deep muscle massage above my knee. This has been a tremendous help. I also used heat but was careful not to put heat directly on the knee. Unfortunately, from the very beginning of my recovery, icing for me was painful and I could only ice for very short periods of time. Now that I am 4 months post TKR and 2 months MUA, I am able to ice for a longer period. Deep tissue and deep muscle massages have been the difference for me. I also use Tubigrip as it is less compression than compression stockings.
 
@SusieShoes Yes, it helps and does ease my mind. What I’m going through is normal.

@sistersinhim I agree. I’ve learned a lot on this site and am doing things at my pace. It’s working well for me

@Jockette I enjoy reading the stories and am so thankful my recovery is normal.

@4quilts My PT didn’t offer massage so I used a rolling pin. He asked how I knew about using one for that. It helps, sometimes. Another person suggested heat, so I will try it. And I had never heard of Tubigrip before this site.
 
I started today, walking without my walker. I wasn’t comfortable yet. Still not totally confident, plus the popping sensations give me the heebie jeebies, ha ha. No pain, just sensations.
 
This is truly a test of patience. I am 4.5 months from TKR and 2.5 months from MUA and by the end of the day, my knee is screaming. In the morning, it feels pretty good but just plain hurts by day's end. It is so discouraging. So many have made statements that it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. This is so true and it really is hard.
 
You’re not kidding. I do hardly anything during the day. I watch tv and only get up here and there. I’m thankful that my husband and daughter help. And I agree about it feeling good in the mornings. It’s aggravating but recovery can’t be rushed. I’m not even to 1 month yet, but doing pretty well.

And I’m now having sporadic nerve/muscle pain above my knee that hurts to walk on, so I’m using the walker again. My left knee hurts, too, so that doesn’t help.
 
Throughout recovery pains pop up here and there, just because they can! Sometimes there isn’t something we can point to as a reason.

Try to relax your mind about it, and rest a lot, it’s not forever (though it seems like it will be)

You are 4 weeks closer to the end of recovery!
:wowspring:

You have made a great choice to just do your ADLs, and yet look at your pain/discomfort by just doing that. Think how much worse you’d feel if you were pushing to do more.

That’s great that your husband and daughter are helpful. My husband was an awesome help to me. It makes a huge difference!

You’re doing great and you have a great attitude and you are very encouraging in your posts to others.

There will be plenty of down days for a while yet. Just come here to get all the understanding and hugs you need. We’re good at that here at Bonesmart!
:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom