Guest viewing is limited

THR My Journey begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think the Doc was thinking, during the stool incident, Poppet, but at least I'm sure now on what not to do
I am progressing and less and less pain on the operated side. Energy drain still quite a drain. Right hip still driving me crazy, anyone have tips on how to prevent it locking up? It seems if I get up perfectly straight it locks up less as well as more pressue on the heel,but it will also lock up laying in bed
 
Sorry Beth, I have no tips at all. My bad hip only locked when standing still for for more than 5 minutes. Sorry to hear that you are having further problems but pleased to hear that you are having less pain in your operated on leg.

I still have a lot of soreness and some pain BUT on Thursday last week I got up and actually walked without limping and haven't stopped since! I just couldn't believe it, it happened so suddenly as I had done a lot of walking the day before and had limped all day. I have found that now I can walk properly, I can put up with all the discomfort and stiffness after sitting. It has taken 16 weeks to reach this point but it has been well worth being patient. By the way even now after all this time I still do get very tired but that may be due to me being 20 years older than you. Just had my birthday on Friday last week. My eldest daughter bought me a coffee making machine so I will be making lots of different drinks now all day. Just had my first cappacinno, latte next and maybe tonight a lovely hot chocolate. It can also make tea but I am not a big tea drinker.

I do hope that you keep progressing well and hope that your walking normally magic moment will happen sooner than mine did.

Take good care of you

Chris
 
countdowner, glad you are doing better, it must feel great to be walking around and with no limp. Enjoy your coffee maker and have a latte for me. Pretty soon you will be unstoppable
 
Beth, I must have missed an earlier post by you about your right hip. Is it bad as well? How long has it been locking up on you? I can't imagine what that feels like with your left hip and femur fracture. Have you mentioned this issue with your right hip to your doctor? Please do and do be careful. I can't have a fellow warrior down for the count.

It sounds like countdowner got a new Keurig coffeemaker. I have one and absolutely love it. My only problem is I can't carry a cup of coffee anywhere. So I either have to have to wait for someone to get up or I just drink my coffee at the counter.

Tammy
 
Get a travel mug with a tight seal and then I bet you could do something like put it in a pocket. Not the same as a mug, but st least not drinking at the counter!
 
True PJ. That tight seal is the key. I tried a travel mug and put it in my robe pocket to travel from the kitchen out to my front porch. By the time I got out there, the stupid thing had leaked all over my pocket. Oh well, it won't be too much longer before I can carry my own drink. Let the countdown begin!

Tammy
 
Hi Tammy

My machine is a Tassimo made by Bosch. I guess it is the same as yours. It's great.

When I couldn't carry a drink, I made my drink, poured it into a flask, then carried the flask, mug or cup in a plastic carrier bag. Or any suitable bag with a handle and carried it through to the lounge. I used to carry things upstairs in the same away.

Hope that you donor have a fracture of the femur and that you are now more comfortable.

Best wishes

Chris
 
Chris, the coffee containers are slightly different, but in practice, they work the same. I love the variety and ease of using mine. I too hope that there isn't a fracture. Am slightly worried about it, but will find out more tomorrow at my appointment. Love the flask idea. I admit, I would have never thought to put something like coffee in it :cocktail:
 
Damn! If we were closer I would lend you my small commuter thermos. It holds about two cups of coffee. Oh, I bet you could pick up a lunchbox thermos pretty inexpensively.

Bellaroma - sorry you are having such problems with your other hip. I have no suggestions, just wanted to send you a little sympathy and feel better vibes :flwrysmile:
 
Tammy, Janet et al: I highly recommend the Contigo brand of thermal container. They hold about 20 oz. of liquid, keep it hot or cold better than any other brand I've used, and best of all they seal perfectly. My two have been a godsend in hauling my morning brew upstairs as I fiddle around with crutches (fortunately a thing of the past).
 
ok, jedi hipster coffee carrying with crutches, first use a travel mug or a large coffe cup(cup must have comfortable handle), you may use a regular one, but you wouldn't get to drink much. Fill your cup halfway or a little more with your favorite, beverage, now while standing place last 3 fingers around the handle, while palm is on the crutchbar wrap the fingers around the bar also level the cup with your thumb, hooking the tip of the thumb into cup,use index finger to also balance then ruth slowly atfirst till you getthe hang of it. I have not had a spill in over 2 weeks.

Damn!, my right hip started locking before the surgery, which is why they gave it a steroid shot during the surgery, but unfortunately the shot did not last and with all the weight going on it, it is going down fast. The doc almost sceduled me for THR on the right at the last visit, but now is having the pt work with it, pt thinks that they will scedule the surgery when I see the doc on the 18th, but who knows
 
Bellaroma, I have done that jedi coffee cup move...very slow going. I have taken to just drinking things that come in bottles, cans or a thermos (now) as I can shove them in my pocket and go wherever I want.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get much relief from the injection. If you read my initial post on the pre-op side, you will see that my hip degradation was a result (or at least the doctors think so) from the steroid injections I had. About 6 weeks from injection and a relatively normal x-ray to bone-on-bone x-rays. So, be careful with that stuff. Good luck with your hip. If you have to get the right hip done, you have already paid your dues with the left one, so it should be smooth sailing for you.

Thanks for the offer Nerdgrrl, I stole...I mean, I borrowed the BatMan thermos from my grandson's lunch box right after this particular conversation started. I can not believe I didn't think of this several weeks ago.

Tammy
 
Tammy- isn't it funny the things we don't think of? Sometimes folks on the BS will suggest something, and I will totally have a doh! moment.

Bellaroma - have you tried heat on the right hip? A long shot, but it might help.
 
Beth,

So sorry that your right hip is acting up so much. Being non-weightbearing on the other certainly doesn't help. Hopefully whn you can start weightbearing it will give it a little break from being the 'good' leg so dependently. Try and ice both if possible. I wish I had something magic to make it go away. Maybe the Warrior girls can do a mind meld and send you some much deserved relief...

:console2:
 
Tammy: When my hubby had his back surgery the OT introduced us to the Contigo thermal mugs. She had a fresh hot latte and held it upside down above her head! Convinced! Costco has them and you can order them from Amazon.
 
dede62, wow upside down and no leakage, I will have to try that. Thanks for the kind words, know that it will not really get better until the hip is replaced, but looking for the angle to minimize the pain, I agree once I can take some of the weight off of my right hip it will have to at least be a little better.

nerdgrrl, hot or cold doesn't seem to make much of a difference, the only thing that seems to work is to keep everything totally aligned and don't move, so of course that doesn't work to well either:spin:
 
Beth, I hope you can get that right hip replaced sooner rather than later, so you can get back out on the water come Spring. Oh, I forgot, you paddle amongst the icebergs, too.
It has to be hard when your "good" leg is bad, too:gaah:

Wish I could do something to help:flwrysmile:
 
Vroom, vroom! What a nice recovery present you got yourself Beth. I just got myself a few measly pair of yog pants. Congrats on the new wheels. I bet it will ride super smooth for you when you resume driving.

Hope that "other" hip starts feeling better for you soon. I can't imagine having to do this with a new hip and a bad hip. You are taking your Warrior status to a whole new level. :bow:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom