TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @dogwheels & @Jozilla . My appointment is in about 3.5 hours. I didn't get a 'confirmation call' yesterday as most doctor's offices do, so I am envisioning getting there and having them tell me that I'm not on the books. Uhm, that would be bad. I was going to call this morning, but figured an in person plea should that happen would be more effective. I'm actually fairly nervous for the appointment. What if he tells me that there's nothing wrong and this is as good as it gets? Even worse, what if he tells me that things aren't 'right' and I need more surgery? :-( I assume, at the very least, I have a very large needle being jabbed in my knee to drain it in my near future. I can't believe it's been 5 months and this is where I'm at. Boo.

Good job on the stairs Chris! That's awesome! Don't overdo though, K? Are all the paint fumes around your house giving you a headache? Especially with needing to keep all the windows open!

The restaurant my girlfriends and I chose for dinner last night for the kick off of Restaurant Week was yummy! We went early to enjoy half price Proseccos in the bar prior to dinner and then ate delicious meals! We even sweet talked our waiter into bringing us one of their signature desserts that was not on the special offering for us. He was rewarded with a big tip! :)

Well, I must run, but I hope everyone has a wonderful day and I will post later how my doctor visit goes. Fingers crossed! I could use all the good wishes I can get!

*edited to add - I just called to confirm, and yes, I'm on the books for 11am :fingersx:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sending good vibes that the second opinion is the quickest fix with the least amount of pain!
 
Okay, I went, I met, I heard ...... First off, I LOVED the new surgeon. This is the one that was on my short list to actually perform my surgery but as he was the last one I was scheduled to meet with before deciding and I was getting information overload by that point, I cancelled my 'interview' with him. My bad. He was great. My age (uhm, one of us obviously hasn't been applying ourselves to reach our full potential). He walks in the room and says 'I expected you to be older'. He asked how old I was and I replied '46 going on 90 apparently'. He sat there and listened to my concerns. He read my list of questions/worries and answered them point by point (not that I remember everything he told me, but I will highlight the good parts).

* He took x-rays!!! Yey for me! He thinks highly of my surgeon and said, although he has no reason to compliment 'the competition', that my implant looks perfect. Well alligned, the right size, etc.... Basically that my OS did a really good job. Apparently it's just his after-care that sucks

* When I told him about the burning sensation around my kneecap and the hypersensitivity at the beginning of my healing (which my OS stupidly said 'I've never heard of that before'), he right away said it was a condition that about 8% of TKR people experience. I can't remember the name, but it's a nerve disorder/condition and he said that Lyrica should help immensely with it within about a week or 2. He said that the condition would clear up on it's own if left untreated, but would take about a year. Nice that my OS just looked at me like I was making it up. My NEW (and improved) OS said that as soon as his patients say anything about hypersensitivity, he puts them on Lyrica. I am hoping that it helps and more than a little ticked that I've been dealing needlessly with this for so long.

* He is also ordering me a topical compound from a compounding pharmacy that will help with pain and swelling. Again, I don't remember the name but when I asked if it was Voltaren, he said it's similar, but better. Kind of like the next generation of Voltaren.

* He is also sending me to a nerve doctor for nerve blocks around my knee. He said it involves about 4 injections (yuck - needles) that will block the nerves and should help with the pain.

* He said he wasn't going to drain my knee and thinks that the odd appearance of my knee and the 'mongoloid-esqe' appearance should get better as my swelling dissipates. He says that's just going to take time. Darn.

Of course, I met a nice lady in the waiting room with lovely knees that she had done in January! She said she was golfing after 5 weeks and couldn't speak highly enough about Dr. Camarata. Funny, I had heard that he didn't have a good bedside manner and that he spent little time with his patients but I found him to be very thorough and patient with me. He addressed every single issue I had and said I'm just one of the 'lucky' few to have these extenuating circumstances.

Funnily enough, I used to participate in clinical trials for my knee - mainly dealing with Osteoarthritis and the gal that I did a study with last year called me out of the blue as I was leaving the surgeon's office. She wanted to check up on me. I told her about my scope and subsequent TKR and about my 'new' surgeon. She LOVES him and said she's actually starting a new trial that he's participating in for a potential new wonder pain med for TKR recovery post surgery. Darn it! Missed it by 5 months and 1 surgeon! ;-) She said when my right leg gets better, to give her a call and we can get my left leg into some studies as they're always doing arthritis studies.

Whew, this is a looooong post, but wanted to make sure to fill everyone in and so that Ann (@Nana moon 27 ) can ask her surgeon about Lyrica and so that anyone else dealing with hypersensitivity and extended 'burning' pain can talk to their docs about it. I guess it's technically for Fibromyalgia, but apparently works brilliantly for TKR nerve pain too!!

Here's hoping! Off to pick up my RX from the pharmacy and hopefully I'll get my topical compound and be able to schedule an appointment with the nerve doctor very soon!! xoxoxoxoxo

Oh, also, just as an aside, when I was speaking to the lady in the waiting room, she told me that Dr. C does NOT believe in MUAs. That he did 2 at the beginning of his career (how long ago was that, he's only 46) and never would again. Found that tidbit very interesting.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 - just thought I would do a last minute check before I headed off to bed to see if you had posted.
You had!
Brilliant news that the implant is super, smashing great - and that this new OS understands and is addressing all your worries and discomforts properly, without insinuating that you are making it up or just being plain awkward.
Sorry he couldn't just wave a wand and make it all instantly better, which is what I unrealistically had hoped for you. But at least he is treating all the problems that you are having and hasn't said that it is to be expected and just left you in the poo with no help or guidance.

I really hope that his treatments will kick in really quickly and you will soon see a vast improvement. You SO deserve this - you have been amazingly brave whilst working hard, have put up with a load of 'you know what' from your knee, but still had time to be kind and supportive to us lot.

Enjoy the rest of your day and sleep well - it must be a huge weight off your mind.

From now onwards, 'everyday, in every way you will be getting better and better'.

So very very happy for you

XXX
 
YEAH for someone who listens! Hopefully the Lyrica will do the thing - I'm surprised not more people are taking it or it's cousin Gambapentin, they toast the heck out of your nerves with this op.

Just one note - if you are one of the few who gain weight on Lyrica ask to try Gambapentin, it does not do that nearly as often. My friend with the ankle had an issue with Lyrica but Gamapentin was fine. Not trying to freak you out but just providing the info just in case.

Hoping for swift relief - as @dogwheels said, I was hoping for a zen master moment ala Star Wars Yoda but this is pretty good. ;-)
 
As always seems to happen, the good with the bad, I was excited when I left the surgeon's office. I wanted to call the guy I was seeing to let him know, but stopped myself because we have never really delved much deeper than surface things ... he knows my knee sucks....he knows I fear it will take forever to do much.... he does NOT know that I fear that it will never get better. He only knows that I can't do things which to him, translates into 'let's go to dinner and then nothing'. I'm very capable of going for a short walk, or sitting at a bar sharing a cocktail and just getting to know one another. I can go to the movies. I can go to a bookstore. I can watch a Diamonbacks game. He always chose to have dinner and then ...nothing. We had the quickest dates in town ranging from 40 minutes (lunch date on a Thursday he was working) to an hour and a half at a nice restaraunt that went to on date #4. We always laughed. We always had a good time. We never looked below the surface though. I vowed to change that on Friday. We had made plans to go to dinner and a movie and I was looking forward to it for many reasons. It would be on my side of town. We would have to decide where to eat on the fly. We'd have to choose a movie together. We'd get to spend hours together and maybe, finally find out what the other is all about. I'm certainly more than bad jokes and a wonky knee. Pretty sure he's more than a food snob with a horrible memory. I had high hopes for this one. Until tonight. When he told me that although he enjoys spending time with me, that we don't match in dating styles. via text message. Rude.

In other news, Lyrica requires pre certification thu my doctors officer for insurance. And can take anywhere from 32 to 78 BUSINESS HOURS! That's 2 weeks people. Guess I'll call the nerve block doctor tomorrow and see if he is available to stab my knees with needles in a quest to block the nerves surrounding my knee
 
Thats great news, no issues with the alignment or implant. waiting on the outcome was like waiting for a childbirth. We were on needles and pins!!! . So when do you see this OS again ? Or do you just go to the nerve doctor.?? I have seen the commercial on Lyrica. Looks pretty effective. I believe that perhaps the majority of your issues was your ODIC and going back to work too soon . I know you had to, being self employed and all, so its totally understandable but perhaps your nerves and soft tissues never healed right. Just my amateur stab at the issue and looking back on how active you were so soon that maybe it affected proper healing . Not everyone can bum around for 4 months . Anyways im so happy you wont need a revision and that maybe meds can help with the discomfort. Best wishes. Iceman
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 woohoo....progress :wowspring::loveshwr::flwrysmile: And my friend I am over the moon for you. Oh your new OS sounds like a real sweetheart. Ellen I'm so relieved for y. I'm sure you'll sleep so well now with relief. I'm sorry this is short. Husband is waiting for us to go out. A sunny day but windy.
I Will post you properly later x x x well done and congratulations from the bottoms of my heart x x x x:friends::flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - how disappointing that the man in question turns out to not only be a Mars Bar but a rude, no manners Mars Bar. Text message dump = lack of male bits and inexcusable. It's a sad fact - but better you find out sooner rather than later - you are well rid. Logical pragmatic me always says: 'If it doesn't happen then it's not meant to be' - but although this is true it doesn't make it any less galling.

Here's an idea - hop a plane to UK and come stay with us. You could go sailing with my husband and his crew (husband is used to dealing with the disabled by now!!!) - his sailing club is full of middle aged wealthy types, we could take in a bit of shooting (our friend owns a shoot near us so would ensure that there were no shiny slippy cartridge cases around to slip on. He had a bilateral TKR and gambols about like a Spring lamb, which is a tad irritating but he's too nice for me to begrudge). Central London is only 18 mins away or we could just get the boat all the way up the river to Westminster and drink ourselves silly on board while seeing the sights. We could follow that with a big jolly and drive up to Brum and visit Nana Moon!! Hey - I could even fit you in for a quick hydro session - I think by now I have achieved Platinum member status!!! The downside is that we could not guarantee even warm weather, and it will be likely to rain which will make your knee ache - plus my house smells like the inside of a paint can and is currently crawling with Eastern European tradesmen. Perhaps not so appealing - but the idea sounds fun!

Sorry the paperwork for the magic meds is slowing things up - sounds as though the nerve pain doc will soon be taking aim on your knee. Hang on in there - things are happening now and everything is finally moving towards a good outcome.

ChrisXX
 
Thank you @Nana moon 27 @icep707 @dogwheels @TexasTee ! I know you've all been right there with me in awaiting answers. I SO appreciate everyone's support and concern. You'll all never know how important you all, and this website, have been for me. Thanks for the tip on Gabapentin, TT. You're one smart cookie! I'll look into that should I happen to gain 30 pounds and start thinking of killing myself.

Thanks for the invite Chris! You better be careful with things like that as I'm prone to jump on planes when I have a spare week with nothing to do! ;-) I can think of nothing more fun than tooling around England with you; shooting, sailing, visiting and cocktailing! :-)

I'm actually a bit more upset about the text dumping that I thought I'd be. Yes, there's the whole rude factor (better than a sticky note stuck on my car, I guess), but I was sort of interested in seeing if this would go anywhere. Oh well, I guess the answer is no. I'm far from at my best right now anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone wouldn't enjoy dating me.... Boo.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! xoxoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 Happy to see that there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for you! Every time I see my OS he insists on telling me that full recovery is a full year though I have certain expectations, like you and all of us do, along the way. I also agree with Ice in looking back at some of the things you started doing early on in your recovery, going back to work so soon, all the standing and time on your feet. Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of being able to just sit around all day, icing, elevating and taking meds. Hopefully the Lyrica, eventually, and the needles will put an end to your suffering!

Your relationship story reminds me of a joke about a woman who runs into a female friend of hers. The friend has a cast on one leg, an arm in a sling, a patch over one eye and cuts and bruises showing everywhere. The woman asks her friend what happened and the friend tells her they were at the zoo taking pictures when she got too close to the gorilla cage. The gorilla reached out, grabbed her, pulled her into the cage and "had his way with her" before she could be pulled to safety. The woman offered her condolences, saying "That's awful", but the friend responded that that wasn't the worst of it. "The worst part", she said, "is he doesn't call, he doesn't write...."

Never understood why so many of us men won't break up with someone face-to-face. In my day, the tactic was to just never call. Today it is via text. Is that better or worse?
 
Hi Ellen - ha ha - you catch that plane, I mean it, you would be very welcome!

Over the years I have had all manner of business people of all nationalities stay with us - and a steady stream of my daughter's friends, all of whom have provided a rich seam of anecdotes. But just to make you laugh, the worst was courtesy of my darling hubby. Hubby had jumped on the bandwagon of genealogy after I had been trying to look into my Mum's relations somewhat dubious pasts. One man he was in contact with, was a very distant relative of his and an expert in family history. Well long story short, he provided so much free info that hubby felt obliged to offer him accommodation next time he came to London to search the archives. We offered to pick him up from the station and husband asked how to recognise him - the reply was 'the big bloke with the very full beard'. What arrived was someone who looked like a vagrant - he was awful. He was grubby, shuffled instead of walking, had a huge cyst the size of a golf ball on his head that my daughter was convinced was going to burst and demolished as much food as I could put in front of him. Husband was so embarrassed that every night he took him out in the car just to get him out of the house. As our guest left he told me that he had been nervous and this had caused his psoriasis to play up . Once he had gone I checked out his room and bathroom, and as my daughter eloquently put it, it was 'A Winter Wonderland' - everything was covered in a thin layer of skin :eeeuw:. I had to disinfect and steam clean everything. Suffice to say we have not remained in touch and any guest we have now is a breeze in comparison.

Enjoy your evening
XX
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, Text dumping is considered not only extremely rude over here but worse still it is regarded as a cowards way out. No guts x that is disgraceful. A true man would either not call or contact at all. He might more politely call and explain why it's not going to work. At least then you can have your say and respond to what he's saying. There is no future with a man who cannot communicate about an important issue regarding a relationship. I think that you've had a very lucky escape there Ellen x I'd rather have no man than a coward! I totally agree with you and @dogwheels summed it up perfectly!!! Mars bar and his distinct lack of round spherical objects too, no less!!!!

Thank you for the advice about Lyrica I really appreciate that. I'm going to check they prescribe it over here x

The weather here is beautiful but a bit windy. I can live with that xox today my knee doesn't feel too bad. It's still very swollen and like you said a peculiar shape. My right leg looks like it's been transplanted from someone else. They do not match!

I'm now able to sit at the top end of our caravan site and use the poached wifi from there now. I have taken a lightweight chair with me and I'm sitting in the sun typing away to my hearts content. I like this x x x

I'm going to go now Ellen. Just remember it's not you with the problem it's that cowardly so called man!!!

I love @Phil75070's joke that was so funny x x x lol x x x

Lots of love and big hugs to you

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Gee @dogwheels , sounds as if your 'lovely' houseguest has set the bar quite low for all subsequent guests to be absolutely angelic! I promise, I have no disconcerting facial growths or tics. I also prefer to keep my skin on my body, but that's just me. :heehee: As for the weather, should I pop in for a visit this summer, anything other than the 118 degree heat that we will be having in Arizona will be welcome.

@Nana moon 27 , glad you were able to find a suitable poaching spot for WiFi where you can comfortably sit! Now that I have hopefully gotten some answers regarding my cruddy knee, it's your turn!! I'm going to post the link to the nerve block procedure and although I don't relish the thought of having more needles shoved in my knee, if it works, then so be it! Sounds like a pretty good options and also sounds like it might help those of us having issues with our 'good' knees too.

broken link removed: https://www.novocur.com/our-treatments/radiofrequency-ablation-of-the-knee/

Thanks @Phil75070 , it certainly is tough being single and trying to navigate the dating world. Thanks for the cute story. As for your question, I have no clue which is 'better' - being dump texted or just ignored. Truth be told, I much prefer to do the dumping. I think it's very nervy of someone to opt to dump me. :heehee:

As you can all tell, I'm practicing the art of procrastination today, so must get back to work. Take care all! xoxoxox
 
Really interesting link @DogLoverx3 - thanks! I will be watching with interest to see how it works...I'm a bit afraid that if I couldn't feel the pain I'd probably get myself in a world of trouble but maybe not?

RE text dump - I can match that - I was dumped via email! Someone I was certain was THE ONE - we'd dated for like 6 months, spent all our free time together (which, granted, was not a lot) but he went to CA for a month long work thing then just decided not to come back to Austin and sent me an EMAIL to tell me that. Like you - I'd previously done all the dumping and hopefully was much nicer about it but it was quite a blow, probably as much to my ego as my heart. The dumper was a fully grown adult - a VP at Dell - just goes to show you that intelligence does not equate to common decency. However - to reiterate @dogwheels - it really did turn out for the best - 7 or 8 months later I met my husband who has no such tendency to be a punk.

OMG dogwheels - you officially have the worst guest story - surely no one can top that? You are clearly nicer than I - no way would I have let my husband off of cleaning up after his guest!
 
Huh! @TexasTee - the guest from hell may have been my husband's doing, but seriously, would you actually trust somebody to clean to your satisfaction and standards after that?? Obsessive, compulsive, anal me HAD to do it myself to be sure it was 100% hygienic. (I even steam cleaned the mattress and threw away the pillows!!)

XX
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - here's a handy tip for retribution that I personally know works a charm ..................

Get your darling doggies to do their daily business.
Pop it in a paper (it has to be paper) bag.
Place said bag on the front door step of offending party, when you know they are at home.
Set light to paper bag and ring door bell.
Watch from a distance and snigger as offending party comes to door and has to stamp out fire (preferably with no shoes on).

XX
 
@DogLoverx3 - when you mentioned a nerve block I wondered if you were talking about a genicular block! I've been in pain management for my back and neck for about 7 years. We've used RFA very successfully on both areas. Unfortunately, some additional degenerative damage to my back required a one-level fusion almost 2 years ago but we still use it on my neck. In fact I'm overdue now and am hoping to get in to my doctor next month. They only started doing RFA for knees in the last couple of years - I used to nag my doctor about why he couldn't "fix" my knee. Anyway, we did try the genicular block on my knee last year, twice actually. Once before I broke down and had the Orthovisc injections and we tried a second time after those injections clearly failed. I had really high hopes since RFA had been so successful in other areas but the blocks failed both times. I think my doctor felt as bad as I did about it because he's also a runner and he knew how much I was counting on it.

Anyway, the way he explained it to me, there are many nerves that can cause pain in your knee but at the moment the only nerve group that they can treat this way is the 3-branch genicular nerve. If your pain is coming from that nerve you should have a good result and be able to move on to RFA; if it isn't, the block won't do anything so no RFA. Supposedly the success rate hasn't been tremendously high but I hope it works for you. It's a little uncomfortable but not that bad. Hey, if I can tolerate the needles in the back of my neck, I promise you'll be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom