TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
But HOW? @Pumpkln not trying to be wise...but I would feel better if my bad knee got the support against my good knee...I feel like I am supporting the best side with double support and then leaving the new replacement all by itself!
 
A longer lever arm reduces the force needed through your arm to take some of the weight off your TKR leg. A cane in the opposite hand increases your base of support (your TKR foot and the cane), improving stability and balance.
Cane and TKR foot move together. It also follows the way you walk, left arm swings forward with the right leg, and the right arm swings forward with the left leg.
If you are still in PT, they can answer your questions about cane use.
 
Thank you @Pumpkln for your explanation. though I must be airheaded.....I will ask doc on Tuesday again..
 
Hi @Karringtyn it's Nana moon. I hope you're ok today? Just reading what you are saying about the cane. The reason you have to have the cane the opposite side to your operated one is so that you don't keep leaning at an awkward angle on it. Which, in turn throws your hip and possibly your back out too! It is awkward to begin with but honestly a couple days practice you'll be fine. I'm not using the cane much now round the house but I do use it to go out with. I am seven weeks in and doing good days, bad days! I hope that this helps x x x x
 
Your response was really funny @Karringtyn I actually laughed for the first time today! Gotta go I got early appointment with OS in the morning xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - ha ha - the which side to have the cane issue made me laugh. I have had no problem with that, but when I first started off with 2 crutches, and they get you to use them sort of alternately, like marching - oh boy - talk about mal-coordinated. I was constantly in hysterics trying to get it right.
Just stopping by to say hi and also to add to the comments re swelling. Don't know why I didn't think of mentioning it before, but my hospital have a lymphatic masseur on the staff, whom they use for patients with problems with swelling. I almost had a session early on - but things calmed down enough for me to save my money and persevere with my leg in the air and the ice. However, I know that they used it on the ward for one TKR patient fairly early on, as her knee was so swollen it made any form of physio impossible. They also use it quite extensively to try and reduce swelling that isn't dispersing using the usual methods.
Hope you get a good night tonight
X
 
@Pumpkln your comment is spot on that's what happened to me. I just got the cane right and to told me not jot use it in the house. Xxx
 
Hi All! Just got back from lunch out & then a three hour painting class. My knee is none too happy with me right now. So strange picking up my ex bf's daughter at his house and texting her from the street to come out so I don't have to see him/he doesn't have to see me. *sigh*

@Karringtyn , I totally derailed my recovery by catering a wedding ten days after surgery (i'm not very smart), and then have continued to have to work throughout with odd days/weeks off in between, so used my walker for almost a month. Even after I switched to the dreaded cane, I still used the walker at home; especially in the morning when my knee was horribly stiff and painful. I still have it set up just in case, but mainly I just throw my clothes on it now :)

@dogwheels , OMG they have you use crutches in a marching fashion? :shocked: Que horrible'!! My head would explode. I just walk 'normally' with them and it takes the pressure off my knee. Is it you or @Ellejay that puts your legs up the wall? I was thinking of that today, don't ask me why.

Thank you for helping to explain the cane thing @Pumpkln & @Nana moon 27 . Honestly, when my PT worked with me on it, it was SO embarassing! I couldn't get the hang of it and he actually looped a belt around me and held on so I wouldn't fall over! Kinda like being walked like a dog ---- with an audience. Hugely mortifying! :blush: The fact that I was laughing the entire time didn't help....

@Chihuahuan , glad your knee is being nice again. I'm going to hope that icing and elevating when I sign off from here helps. I've had that painful 'catching' thing on the back left of my TKR knee once before - it's not a hamstring thing, it totally feels like 'parts' are catching and I HOPE that it stops like it did before. Honestly, I think it did it last time I saw my OS and he did that stupid jiggle the leg thing while holding my knee. I may have to kick him next time :angel:

Luckily the thing with my swelling is that it doesn't affect my ROM so no one, aside from me, is worried about it. I will look into the massage thing (even though I find having strangers touch me hugely odd unless they're buying me dinner and a cocktail first) :heehee: Well, I am off to the freezer for a big ole gel pack and then to take my stack o' pillows upstairs for the evening. As the dogs are fed, I think I can close up shop downstairs.

xoxoxxo thank you all for brightening my day! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope your having a good day today. I've nothing to do tomorrow so I'm not sure what the day will bring! Wednesday I have an appointment with my GP and I am going to swallow my pride and BEG to come off the morphine. I just don't want to be on it any more x x x

I'm in bed elevating my swollen leg but not worrying so much about it being swollen now I know it's a normal part of my recovery!! Thank you Mrs Consultant!!!! She has so out my mind at rest.

Looking forward to hearing about your day love Nana moon xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Shall I make a call to your GP @Nana moon 27 ? I don't want you on the morphine anymore either. There has GOT to be an alternative. You've been on it for so long and I'm positive that you'll feel better if you can switch to something else. Don't let him tell you no. ((Hugs))

Well, I've found the recipe for sleep. Not at night, mind you, but I just woke up for a 2.5 hour nap. Pretty sure that's the longest stretch of uninterrupted sleep I've had since surgery. All you have to do is this: wake up, get ready for PT, walk down stairs to feed dogs, work on computer, remember you left phone upstairs and schlep back up there, go to PT, go to store, deliver food to clients (more stairs), meet with new client (which involved trapsing all around her marble tiled floor mansion with lots of stairs :shocked:), then as a reward, meet a friend for lunch and proceed to consume about 3,000 calories of delicious eggs benedict and sweet potato tots! Top it off by coming home, dragging myself upstairs, turning my phone on silent, having the dogs snuggle in and viola'! Sleep. Sounds easy, right? :whistle:

I hope everyone had a great day!
 
@DogLoverx3 I was worn out just reading what you did today. No wonder you slept for 2.5 hours. Wowee!!! I do not know how you do this? This is why I keep telling you that you are amazing!!!you'd done a days work before you'd even left the house! I hope my energy levels start to build up to like yours. I'm still getting tired. Very easily!!!! I hope that you sleep tonight and I praying I do too x x x x xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo x x x x :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 . I was certainly pooped. I really needed to go to Costco today too but said 'no way'! That can wait until tomorrow. I don't usually back to back to back things like this as I'm afraid of the dreaded punishment for doing too much but today was unavoidable and so far *knock on wood* my knee is just a bit more sore than usual and just a tad more swollen than the usual, so I probably lucked out. I bet you'll get much more energy back when you're able to kick the morphine. The strong stuff really wipes you out. It's not YOU, it's the drugs. I think you're doing great and once your GP gets you switched (maybe you need to embellish how sick the morphine makes you in order to get him to listen?), I bet you'll start feeling so much better!

Fingers crossed we can both sleep tonight! I didn't wake up from my beloved nap until 4pm, so I fear that's going to come back and bite me tonight...........but it was worth it. :-)
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 when I told my GP they were making me sick when I was on the higher doses his solution was to give me anti sickness meds!!!! However, I will stand my ground Wednesday. The appointment is 8.40 so I'll be up early that day!!! Tomorrow wil be easy I hope as I said earlier no plans. Xoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
Hmmm, then I think you should just tell him that you want off of the morphine; no ifs ands or buts :-) @Nana moon 27 . Honestly though, isn't morphine highly addictive? I would guess the longer you stay on it, the harder it will be to come off of it. I'm surprised he's kept you on this long, but I'm sure you'll get him worked out tomorrow (or else I'll do it) :whistle:

I was actually able to get a bit of fairly decent sleep last night. Not all at once, mind you, but pieced together in way too many increments maybe got around 5 hours total. I could NOT get comfortable last night. My knee cap (which is my very own) and my shin was killing me and then my knee was just achey. Whenever I get out of bed in the morning, my hair is a total rat's nest due to all the tossing and turning and readjusting!

I'm baking some strawberry banana breads now and then need to head off to Costco. I'm a bit nervous as I need too many things to fit in one of the electric carts and I can't find anyone to go with me, so am going to attempt walking with a normal cart. :shocked: I know the store layout well, so will go to where I need and hopefully be able to get out and back home without any major issues *fingers crossed*. I have friends coming over tonight to help move some things for me. I am bribing them with takeout Chinese food. :)

I hope you're having a good day my friend and that your knee is feeling a little better. xoxoxo
 
:puppysmooze:Mmmmm strawberry banana bread.... Now you're talking @DogLoverx3. Any chance you could post the recipe please or us it a secret!!! Ooohhhh that's made me crave and Chinese mmmmmm what times the next flight? Lol xxx

Tomorrow I am insisting to come off the morphine. I do not like and have never liked the feeling up induced by this particular opiate. It's horrible. How people enjoy this stuff is beyond my understanding.

I kind of cat napped because I was waking up in pain! Then I woke up twisted ouch but it's eased now I've been up and about a bit. We went to my father in laws house. Didn't stay too long. The furniture is low and I was achy.

Good luck in Costco. Lean your body weight on the trolley as much as possible if you can.

My hair is seriously moppy, overgrown and resembling a ripped birds nest unless I wash and straighten it. I'm hoping my hairdresser will come x x x actually that made me think to text her. Just did it. Waiting for reply xxxx:puppysmooze:
 
@Nana moon 27 , just take your favorite banana bread recipe and add diced up fresh strawberries. You can't really taste them in the bread, but it keeps it very moist and adds a little something. :-)

Costco like a 'normal' person was a BAD idea. I was afraid of that, but had no way around it. I was in and out in about 25 minutes, but between all the walking on the concrete floors, the lifting and pushing of the cart, my knee is none too happy. I asked for help in loading everything into my car, but then had to unload on my own when I got home. I've been icing, but my knee is very stiff, swollen and sore. Darn it. Kinda hoped that at 10 weeks, I'd be able to get away with not using the motorized cart, but I guess not. Lesson learned.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom