TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you got all your questions answered today. We have some daffodils and quince blooming --lovely touches of spring coming. :friends:
 
Thanks @Pumpkln @Nana moon 27 @Chihuahuan @Ziggysmom & Josephine for weighing in and offering advice/support. Just got back from seeing my OS. Well 1st saw the PA, then was told my OS would come in to talk to me, then some other surgeon guy came in and I said 'wow, Dr. S, you've changed since last I saw you'! He was very nice so I fired all my questions at him. He could tell I was still kinda worried, so he came back with my actual OS. Who proceeded to tell me that I was neurotic (I guess I kinda am) and that it was HIS job to worry, not mine. He then told me that I need to work on my extension as it's NOT at zero (uhm, due to swelling), but aside from that there is no infection, there is nothing to drain and I'm going to live.

Apparently I'm just a 'slow healer' and 'someone who swells'. That will look lovely on my Match.com profile. My knee looks like sh*t and surgeon #1 told me that it will never look my other knee - it will always be 'bigger and bulkier'. He also said that it's not unusual for people to stay swollen much longer than others (he actually mentioned 9 months and I almost passed out). He couldn't tell me though, that it would not be permanent. Now, while my vanity seemed to have flown out the window those first few weeks post surgery when I would actually go to Walmart wearing the same sweats & t shirt that I had slept in along with fuzzy slippers and no makeup, the fact remains that I'm not 110. I'm single, I would like not to be, I DO care what I look like and I'm not happy that my knee might always look like this.

Moral of this story is that at 9.5 weeks out, I'm not sad, I'm kinda mad (my original adjective got changed to something that totally doesn't fit - @dogwheels will know what I mean). Not sure at or with who or what, but I am. I will now proceed to wallow for a bit and then drag myself upstairs to collect all of my cute mini skirts, dresses, skorts, shorts and everything else that shows my knee to donate. Oh, and I may as well collect all my awesome shoes with heels too. :sad:

When do they say I'll be glad that I had this done?

(sorry for my testy post, I just see & read about everyone else advancing and I'm not - and it's not fair - I hate when I get this way):sigh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @DogLoverx3 - what a thoroughly **??!! ??""***!!! and every other expletive and adjective available, day you have had.
Don't give all your lovely things away - it's still early days and you will feel so dumb that you have got rid of all your favourite clothes when the swelling does go down - and I bet it will - perhaps just a little slower than you had hoped.
We moan about the cold and wet weather in UK, but at least it means that our legs are not on show too much. My 'patchwork' knee is rarely visible - which is just as well really! It must really suck being somewhere with lovely hot weather and not being able to flaunt your assets!(Nice also if you have assets to flaunt!)
And don't despair over the shoes. My friend had a TKR when we were living in the Middle East. She cried almost solidly for a couple of months, regularly swore at her PT with huge crying bouts while trying to increase her ROM and was only seen in flat sandals for months. Fast forward a year or so and she is back teetering around in her high heels and flashing her knees.
Why not go and treat yourself to a couple of really nice skirts/shorts/dresses whatever .... but just a tiny bit longer than you would normally wear? Nothing boring or frumpy, but with just a tiny bit more coverage to draw the eye away from your knee. Use those for the time being and I am sure it wont be too long before the pesky swelling has gone down sufficiently for you to get back in your pre-op gear.
Lots of love and hugs winging their way to you
X
 
@DogLoverx3 thank goodness you've posted! Okay so you're a slow healer but I have read other posts here that people have taken 12 months or more to get to some kind of normal! I was also told by one of nurses when I was in hospital that my one knee will always be bulkier than the other, apparently the new joint is bigger than the old one! I was really upset about this and actually cried in the hospital during my recovery because no one had mentioned this pre op,or at the joint education class I attended. In a way thanks to the nurse I have had time to realise that my knee is never going to be the same as the other. This does not make me feel happy obviously. I notice In my skinny jeans that one leg is fatter than the other. However, I am trying to be philosophical about this. I know I am recovering but nowhere near as fast as I would like.

I would like to kick your OS up his backside for saying you are neurotic! How dare he accuse you of that when clearly you are just worried and anxious. That remark is lower than a snakes belly in a rut!!! I'd like to see him be in your shoes the rat!!!! That's an insult to rats actually!!!

Your immediate drawback is the fact that you had no choice but to return to work early and that undoubtedly is a hindrance and will obviously affect your rate of recovery. You are only nine weeks after having three bones broken and a big metal joint put in between them and had to recover on your own and work. You are amazing! When you look at it like that would we be expected to recover from three broken bones in nine weeks - I doubt it very much!

Don't act in haste with your shoes and clothing please give it a few more months. I got upset tonight because I put on a skirt and realised I had no nice shoes to wear with it just boring ballerina pumps and they hurt me! I saw my beautiful heels collection and I was gutted cos in my heart I doubt if I'll ever wear them again but I'm clinging on to them for a while longer until I'm sure! And the flats made my knee ache worse and swell!

Ellen you know where I am if you want to chat anytime. I'm not sleeping well again. I got PT in the morning which in dreading cos of the swelling. I wish I could come up with a solution but I can't but all I can say is that you are not alone and you're amongst friends here x x xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xxxxx:puppysmooze:
 
@DogLoverx3 Now for my rant --I am going to be very blunt :hairpulling:
Why on earth would you dispose of everything that shows your knees? Do you honestly think that you will be this way forever? That your knee reflects who you are as a person? Maybe it does --it says you are strong! If you are self conscious at the moment wear capris and tops for a while. No-one who really matters cares a hoot about your scars and swelling. Anyone who is not supportive of your journey is not worth expending much energy or time on!!!
BTW --my LTKR at one year out was much slimmer than my right. Eventually it all evens out --just not in 9 1/2 weeks.
Pull yourself together -- and get on with life --focus on what you have and not what you don't have otherwise you will never be happy. If you need meds or therapy to get through this go to see your family doctor and get some -- I had to do that after breast cancer surgery. There is no shame in it….
And forgive me for being the type of "friend" who will tell it as I see it…...
 
My knee took forever to stop being a big ball of swelling, but it did gradually start to look like a knee again.
 
Thank you @kneeper for telling me that. Makes me feel like I'm not the only one. Thank you also @Nana moon 27 @dogwheels @Ziggysmom @Chihuahuan for weighing in.

I've opted to tune out all the awesome (and by awesome, I mean moronic) comments I get every single day about how bad/swollen/ugly my knee looks and how FAR behind I am in my recovery since I still have a limp and use a cane or crutches a lot in public at almost 10 weeks out. If the worst thing that happens is I have to stock up on capri pants and buy longer dresses (that match my tennis shoes?), then that's just how it will need to be. I will never be the poster child for recovery or for being able to follow the mantra, but having done this all on my own, while having to work, I guess I haven't done half bad.

I dismantled my bed downstairs yesterday (yes, all by myself) so I wouldn't be tempted to use it and moved back up to my bedroom in order to gain some sense of normalcy back. I certainly don't want to be running (ha!) up and down the stairs multiple times a day, but I figure I can do it a couple times a day and not be worse for the wear. My main concern is the dogs taking me out in the morning when my knee is stiff as they race down the stairs to their food bowls, but I found that if I throw biscuits down the stairs, they will run ahead of me and allow me to manage my way down in peace.

Still not sleeping more than a couple hours a night and that's highly frustrating, but I found an old RX for Ambien that I will be enjoying this evening and see how that works. I'm off all pain meds aside from Tylenol and the random Tramadol, so that's good.

I've decided to just get on with things and let the chips (or knees) fall where they may. I have 2 more PT sessions and then will give the gym a go on my own. I may still check in every couple of weeks with PT for a while until I am certain that I am on the right track, but my ROM is really good and as long as I can insure that I won't 'lose it', that will be okay.

I hope everyone is doing well. My apologies for being self involved and not checking in with anyone, but sometimes I just want it to be all about me. :blush:
 
@DogLoverx3, it's lovely to hear from you here!!! I'm glad you have dismantled your bed and tried to return to some semblance of normality by moving your bed. I think you may be right in doing this. It's a good idea about the dog biscuits and very sensible too!!!! I also think your idea about relaxing and seeing where things fall will help you more. It seems to have worked for me since I adopted that kind of attitude! I have to say congratulations on knocking down the pain meds too. I am still using A Crutch when I go out too although ive been told not to but I am not ready or steady enough on a distance.

Anyway this is about you and no one else Ellen and I have said before when you need to withdraw and lick your wounds you should. We are always here for you x x x x x x x :puppysmooze:

x x x x x xx
 
So glad you are moving upwards --any step towards normality makes you feel so much better. I hope the Ambien helps to reset your sleep pattern --it took a few days of it for me. Then I felt in a much better frame of mind. :)
Moronic is a great term to use for lack of support comments. I imagine that in the range of TKR progress you are about in the middle of the pack but you would much prefer to be at the leading edge….
I am not a sweller but I sure am stiff in the morning and when I'm not listening to Violet she sure lets me know it….
We are about 1/6 of our way on the journey :SUNsmile:
 
A lymphedema specialist may be able to help you with your swelling, you should be able to google one in your community.
Sounds like you are on track to recovery, with a few detours here and there.
 
That's a great idea @pumpkin. I went to one after breast cancer surgery but never thought about it in a knee context.
 
Thanks @Pumpkln ! I'll look into that.

Well, I got home last night from dinner with a friend (@Karringtyn , if you're reading this, I'm almost 10 weeks out ;-)) and then stopped by another friend's birthday party at a bowling alley and was pooped. No, I did not bowl - and only stayed about an hour. I used my cane at the restaurant, but switched to crutches for the bowling alley as I walk better with them and can take more weight off of my knee by using them. My knee has not been behaving nicely lately. When I went to see my OS the other day, he did this jiggle thing with my lower leg while holding onto my knee (maybe to see if something would fall out?) and ever since, whenever I go to straighten my leg from a bend, something 'catches' behind on the right side and is uber painful. I am hoping it's something temporary. It's been very stiff and tight as well. I've been only taking Tylenol for a few days (along with Diclofenac), so maybe I should throw a few more Tramadol back into the mix for a while longer. :sad: Anyway, as I was tired when I got home, I assumed (haha) I'd be able to sleep so didn't take my recently discovered stash of Ambien. By the time 3am rolled around and I was still awake, I figured it was too late, so I am now up and working on less than 3 hours sleep (broken into 20 minute increments, of course). I will try the Ambien tonight and take it early enough so that I won't have to worry about Monday morning at all. I hope it works. I'm very tired and have lots to get done today and this week.

I am off to take my ex's daughter out to lunch and to a painting class. I will be using my cane and/or crutches and taking a baggie for ice (as always). After that, I will come back home and rest. I haven't been elevating much lately as my back has been hurting me again, but maybe I should try....

I hope everyone is having a great day and all those pesky knees are behaving! xoxoxo
 
LOL! Honey it's ok by 10 weeks my butt AND KNEE better be dancing!!!:dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy:

I wish I could get use to using a cane in my left hand....(is that right...opposite of knee that was replaced?) It just feels soooo odd!
 
@Karringtyn Yup, if you had your right knee done you hold the cane in your left hand and use it with every right footed step that you take. I've yet to get used to using it. I'm very self conscious about it and would rather just use the crutches. I am quite certain that at 10 weeks you WILL be dancing (just not for along periods of time).

Glad you're feeling better today! I love that you're a couponer! That's a great way to take your mind off your knee on Sundays!
 
I am not a couponer...I AM A HUGE couponer...lol I teach classes and have been asked to be on tv..(Shhh I turned them down! ).....I can't imagine using it in my left hand...that's my strong leg...it makes more sense to hold in my right hand...because that's my bad side....I know I know I argued with my doc too! I am a problem patient.:hairpulling:
 
Well shoot, so I won't be seeing you on TLC anytime soon then? ;)

yeah, the whole cane thing goes against reason but does make sense. My physical therapist was nice enough to work on using it with me. I still look like an idiot using it as I have to concentrate so hard to do it right. Who knew that after 46 years of walking around, willy nilly, that I would have to concentrate so hard to do it now...
 
Nope TLC can't have me!!:shocked:

How long did you use your walker for? Ugh as I typed this I am realizing my wedding band is spinning on my finger. That's a good sign....I have been swollen for a long time...and I know I am losing fast (no worries I HAVE 100's to lose)...it's just that I hate seeing my band twist lol!
 
I've had that clicky thing behind the knee --mine has gone away for the most part.
Hope you get some sleep tonight :sleep:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom