TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need a cane that makes a statement -- just go for it :yes: It says "I'm a gutsy woman who had a major surgery so I can get on with my life"….
 
No sympathy about spending the afternoon lounging in the sun from me--another 5 inches of snow here. :heehee:
Seriously, it sounds like you made the right decision to rest a bit after your outing. Otherwise you might have been in the ODIC. Embrace your inner slug. :wink:
 
sorry @kneeper , I feel bad complaining about it being too hot so early in the season, but I promise that you can all laugh at me come July when it's 120 degrees here and walking outside is like getting hit in the face with a pizza oven! :whistle: I've been a frequent member of the ODIC, so thanks for the kudos on my day of embracing my inner slug! :heehee:

Aww thanks, @Chihuahuan ; a friend of mine wanted to get me a totally blingy cane (bedazzeled to within an inch of it's life) but I said no way! I also had no clue I'd still be needing one at this point. As with everything else, I totally underestimated my recovery time. :gaah:
 
Just got back from PT where my therapist, again, told me that my knee was 'not that' swollen. I assure you all, it IS. If I wasn't afraid to scare you all, I'd post a picture. I have total strangers comment on it to me. I'm not sure where my PT is looking but my TKR knee is more than twice the size of my non surgical one. It looks nothing like a knee. I can get the swelling down when I ice, but the second I stand up it blows back up. I have NO CLUE if this is ever going to diminish. I do nothing and my knee swells. I over-do and my knee swells. It all sits right on top of and above my knee cap, so luckily doesn't affect my ROM that much any more. *sigh* I just went to the market and got some Tumeric Capsules. The nice gal that works there has had many knee surgeries (no TKR yet for her though - lucky duck) and says they do work on inflammation, so we'll see. I know that swelling caused by trauma is different, but I'm willing to try most anything at this point.

So here is my positive for the day. My flexion is 135 and my extension is 0! :happydance:I'm very very happy about that. I could tell that even with all my swelling that my flexion improved over the weekend because I like to lay in bed with my legs bent and my TKR knee was almost able to bend as well as my 'good' one (which he measured at 145). I will hold onto these numbers and remember how lucky I am next time someone gasps at the sight of my hideous knee when out in public or when I start getting discouraged again.

I hope everyone is having a good day and the knees are behaving themselves! ((hugs))
 
@DogLoverx3 Fantastic ROM -- when I get any swelling it is not behind my knee either. Have you ever measured your knee swelling --may be helpful to record it over time for your next doctor visit.
I'm just heading to the pool --I'll let you know how it goes….
 
@DogLoverx3 wow whAt an improvement In your ROM woohoo I am so pleased for you my friend. I mean that sincerely. Blooming marvellous!!!! I'm sorry about the swelling though. Has your OS seen it? I'm dying to wait and see about the turmeric capsules. I've heard good stuff about anti inflammatory foods. I've posted on my thread so I don't hijack yours. So if you're bored have a read. It's only blurb about my day. I love reading your posts they're always so interesting!!! Love Nana 'Moon27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
Back from the pool --it felt so good :yes!: but I definitely used body parts that have not been used for a long time. I walked and then did some of my PT and upper body stuff. Twinges all over the place. :spin:
 
Wow, @DogLoverx3....congrats on the extension and flexion! Despite the swelling, you are definitely on your way to healing!

If your swelling is now located mainly just above the front of the knee, I wonder if the soft tissues there are still inflamed and not yet healed. When I get out of a chair or use the stairs, that is the spot that still hurts. I know they mess with the quads during surgery, and I wonder if that is one of the last spots to recover, since the quads engage in just about every movement of the knee....hmmm...if I see the nurse at the gym today, I will ask for an anatomy lesson.

I love turmeric! I have been taking turmeric pills for swelling to get off the NSAIDS. However, taking turmeric alone will not work. It is not easily absorbed by the digestive system all by itself. Also, it has to build up in your system...it will not work in 20 minutes like an NSAID (ibuprofen, Aleve, Celebrex, etc.) will. Also, turmeric needs some black pepper and oil for maximum absorption by the digestive system. It is a food, not a synthetic medicine. If your turmeric pills do not have black pepper or piperine in them, you should add it in. I take my turmeric at meal times, because there is usually an oil and some black pepper in the recipe. You don't need a lot of pepper or oil to help it along.

I also take Astaxanthin to fight inflammation. This is one of the most powerful antioxidants you can take for immunity, inflammation, and skeletal health. The source is a red algae, however, I recently read they have figured out how to make a synthetic version, which will go on the market this month. Read the labels carefully, and be sure it comes from the algae only.

I find the best source for information on natural healing is www.mercola.com. Disclaimer: I avoid allopathic (conventional) medicine whenever I can, and some people think I'm a kook, so...this is just MY opinion and how I choose to live my life! Your mileage may vary. Just sayin'...
 
Hi All, I’ve not been on today or read anyone’s posts or even my own for that matter. I’m sorry about that. We all know I’ve been preoccupied with the amount of swelling that I still have on my TKR knee. I’ve seemed to work myself up into a bit of a tizzy over it. Although it seems to sit right on top of and above my knee cap (so doesn’t affect my bend unless it’s really acting up) it is concerning to me. I keep reading about scar tissue build up and adhesions. About how inflammation encourages both of these things. About how some inflammation can be chronic. About how adhesions and scar tissue can appear months after a TKR. About infections and such and I figured the best thing to do would be to stop reading for a while as I fear that unless my knee stops being swollen I can, and will, develop one of the above.

While my knee is not painful (much) unless I actually use it, it’s still warm, it’s still very swollen, it’s still tight and it still prevents me from actually being able to ‘do’ much of anything. As I posted to Bonnie yesterday, sure it’s great that I have good ROM, but it does me no good. I take Diclofenac (nsaid) that seems to help with the internal swelling, I can ice until my leg is frozen, but the second I stand up, the swelling comes back so it seems a bit pointless right now to keep icing. I’ve been getting terrible hot flashes that I thought were a side effect of the narcotics so I’ve stopped taking all pain meds aside from Tylenol and an occasional Tramadol but the inability to regulate my body temperature continues. My knee isn’t red, but I think does appear to be a strange color, so I’ve wondered if it could possibly be infected.

I realize this may all be in my head and that I’m probably just one of the ‘lucky’ ones that gets a ton of swelling and it doesn’t go away, but I’m pretty upset and worried. How do I know I won’t develop scar tissue or adhesions in the future? What if the swelling is chronic? We all know that I was very mean to my knee at the beginning and still overdo at times that are unavoidable, so I worry about permanent damage that I may have done. Even on stretches of days or a week when I do little other than lay in bed, the swelling remains. :-( I spoke with my OS’s PA last night and I have an appointment to go in tomorrow.

I just don’t know what else to do. Everyone around me is starting to judge and think I should just ‘get on with life’ but if my knee won’t let me, then how can I. I just think that I should not still be this swollen at 9+ weeks still. I keep reading how most everyone’s swelling is gone within weeks and I keep seeing knees at PT that actually look like knees and I don’t understand why that can’t be me. My TKR knee is probably twice the size of my 'good' one …… and that, my friends, is my self-pittying vent for today.

I could use some advice/input/encouragement/whatever. I hope everyone is doing well………
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 it sounds like something is not right and it also sounds as if you may have a raised temperature. I know it's hard but you got to ignore people. They should not be standing in judgement of you. We all recover at different rates. (I'm trying not to sound like I'm stating the obvious or the "no way Sherlock" brigade!!!!)

You have done the exact right thing in contacting your OS office and getting that appointment! You have done the very best that you can when you have been working as regards resting in between, elevation and icing.

My knee is also still quite swollen and it is warm and my OS appointment is this Monday coming. I think you need advice from @Josephine urgently and see what she thinks about this too!!!

You are also right to stop reading because none of these people are you! You and your recovery are unique. You could do with someone to post to you directly who has had a similar experience who will be honest and not be dressing the recovery up (you know what I mean)!!!!

Stop worrying about self pitying too! You are always giving all of us positive advice and guidance. Me especially. You will never know how much you have pulled me out of that spiral I was heading into, for which I'm immensely grateful Ellen! I've been totally different since that inbox you sent me !!!! You are allowed to do this!!!

If I had a magic wand I would love to be able to take all this discomfort away from you! I can't stand to think of my friend in pain! Anytime you want to chat privately you know what to do Ellen. Please take care, you are not alone, you have many friends on this site besides me who hold you in high esteem and regard and think the world of you because of your caring and helpful posts and nature.

Love Nana Moon 27
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 You are doing exactly the right thing with going to see the PA --share everything you are sharing on here --maybe write down all your questions and then write the answer next to it at your appt. It will give you a point of reflection afterwards. When you are upset it is easy to not "hear" what is being said so if you are not sure of something you can say something like --"to clarify you said ……..". This is a great opportunity to get the swelling concerns and other questions out of the way.
If the hot-flashes are menopausal then that can add to the emotional upheaval. :boohoo:Hang in there! :puppysmooze:
 
About how adhesions and scar tissue can appear months after a TKR. I fear that unless my knee stops being swollen I can, and will, develop one of the above. I just think that I should not still be this swollen at 9+ weeks still.
Don't know where you read that adhesions can occur "months" after a TKR - certainly not on here! And why do you think all your swelling should be gone at 9 weeks? That's still very early in the process of recovery. Very early. So stop worrying and just leave it be! You're doing just fine!
 
@DogLoverx3 Goodnight, try not to fret now, I know you're going through a low point but you are in my thoughts. At least tomorrow, hopefully you will have some answers xoxoxoxo:puppysmooze: I hope you manage some sleep xxxxxx
 
@DogLoverx3, I don't blame you for feeling depressed about your knee. I think it's good you are seeing your OS at this time. I think @Chihuahuan offers good advice....write down your questions and write down the answers. I did that with my OS, and it helped me immensely, especially making sure I asked all the questions I thought about at home.

I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but my knee is still warm and tight. I am told this is normal and will last for quite some time. There are soft tissues that are still healing (thus the warmth), and hopefully your OS will find that is the case. Despite the swelling, it does sound like your knee is recovering. By necessity, you have been on your feet a lot during your recovery process, and your knee is probably reacting accordingly (I'm hoping it's as simple as that). I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
 
Glad you are seeing the PA to look at you knee and ease your concerns. You are just 2 months out still early in your recovery. Keep us posted on how it goes.:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom