TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are one busy lady @DogLoverx3 . Don't know how you do it all… The strawberry banana bread sounds wonderful --we add pecans to recipes like that as we have our own trees --think that would be a great combination. About a cup of strawberries per loaf? Maybe you should write a book "How I got through a TKR--one recipe at a time!". You could include all the things you have made in the past 10 weeks and inspire those of us who are still in quick meal mode to get off our rears and cook again…:tada:
I'm having a rest now the grandkids are napping. Have a good rest of the day :puppysmooze:
 
Thank you @DogLoverx3 I will try that recipe the weekend!! Mmmmm yummy!!!

You are doing your best and doing marvellously well and I admire you for that! You are being sensible as always with the mantra and lessening the impact on your knee x

I'll let you know how I get on with my begging at the docs tomorrow to come off the morphine as soon as I get back. I know it'll be the early hours over your side but it'll be there for when you wake up x x x
 
@Chihuahuan :shocked:u have a pecan tree? YUM! Pecans make everything better! I think they would be delicious in banana bread as i find walnuts bitter in it. Between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of diced strawberries. I actually just throw them in a mini chopper and whirl them around until they're tiny).

Thanks @yiaia3, my knee is killing me so i've been icing and had to take an oxy for the first time in a couple weeks. :(

good luck tomorrow @Nana moon 27 - don't take no for an answer:hairpulling: (couldn't find an emoticon of a tkr patient bopping a dr in the nose) :whistle: Yes, please let me know as soon as u get back. I will be keeping good thoughts.

very glad i opted to bribe my friends with take away chinese instead of a home cooked meal - i'm just not up to it today. I'm sure i'll feel better tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my last PT session....i'm kinda nervous about going it on my own. I am thinking of going back once every couple of weeks just to make sure i'm doing okay and still progressing. I'm the one that extended my visits in the 1st place as I didn't feel I was where I needed to be. Seems strange to be on my own now. My OS doesn't even do 12 week check ups, so i'm pretty much done...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, stop all this baking talk--you're making me hungry! :heehee:
 
@DogLoverx3 We have three trees that produce a total of about 7-10 lbs of shelled nuts a year. They freeze very well and last us about a year. There is a local place that shells small batches like this so we do not have to do our own. I have strawberries in the fridge so will bake this weekend. It will make a nice breakfast treat for my Canadian cousins who will be arriving on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Try to rest enough. :yawn::yawn:Jen
 
Sorry @kneeper , better cover your ears for this next bit.... ;-) @Chihuahuan I hope your strawberry, banana, pecan bread turns out well this weekend! Sounds delish! You're so lucky to have yearly pecan supplies. I love to keep nuts in the freezer so I always have them when I want/need them.

My knee has been a big swollen piece of poo all day. My friends just left and for just $60 worth of chinese food they moved my extra bed back upstairs to re-assemble, moved a couch out to the curb for goodwill to pick up, actually made my bed for me, swapped out my television sets, brought in a 40 lb bag of dog food that I've been driving around in my car for 3 days because I couldn't pick it up and carry it into the house, re-arranged a few things and provided me with many many laughs. Oh, and as a bonus, they took all the dogs for a walk! :puppysmooze: All in all, a good night!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - so glad your friends pitched in and got so many things sorted for you. As NM27 said, they are true friends and if anyone deserved a friendly helping hand - it's you.
I'm salivating at the thought of the banana bread - all varieties - no matter what is added to it. Yum! But if I start baking cakes ........... I can't stop and have to eat everything, and whoops - on go the lbs!
Sorry your knee is still acting up. I just remembered another tip from my physio for swelling, was that if you have a frame bed - wedge something under the legs at the bottom to raise it slightly, so you 'drain' at night! Probably no good, but just thought I would mention it.
Hope you got a good night - and today will be a bit easier for you.
X
 
@RunA42K , I have a question for you please. I just read on Blue's thread where you said that after your 1st TKR you had a ROM of 135 before scar tissue took over at 6.5 months?? Was there any indication of issues with scar tissue earlier on? This is exactly what I'm afraid of with my swelling. I have good ROM now, but is there still a chance that I could lose it?!? How can scar tissue form so far out from surgery? :sad:

Thanks @dogwheels , I hope you've had a good day so far. Interesting tip on raising the bed. Totally makes sense, but I have a huge king sleigh bed so there's no way I'm raising the foot of it. ;-)

@Nana moon 27 , yes, they are wonderful friends (and easily bought)

I read over on one of the guys' threads that they refer to this recovery as Groundhog Day and it SO is! Hugely annoying to wake up each and every day stiff and start from square one again. Although my knee didn't hurt today when I woke up, it was very very stiff. I don't usually take Tylenol or anything unless I'm in pain but opted to this morning. What do you know? What @Josephine & @Jamie say is correct! Tightness and stiffness IS a form of pain! The Tylenol helped with both. Yes, feel free to smack your heads :headbang: (i'm kinda slow) :umm:
 
@DogLoverx3 I didn't take tylenol last night and tossed around --too sleepy to get up too sore to be comfy. I'm stiff every morning but it resolves pretty quickly --think that is with us for quite a while. Eventually it goes away :)
How lovely of your friends to help in that way --any step towards normality is wonderful.
My understanding is that if you keep moving your knee you will maintain the ROM. Off for a walk at the mall today to keep myself straight!!!
 
Although my knee didn't hurt today when I woke up, it was very very stiff. I don't usually take Tylenol or anything unless I'm in pain but opted to this morning. What do you know? What @Josephine & @Jamie say is correct! Tightness and stiffness IS a form of pain! The Tylenol helped with both. Yes, feel free to smack your heads (i'm kinda slow)

Now THAT'S the kind of breakthrough we love to read about! I'm glad you found the Tylenol helpful. It really DOES help with that stiffness (pain). No head whaps for you....only ((((HUGS)))) because you are feeling better and because you found the advice helpful.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3

I hope you've had a lovely day and enjoying your evening. I've been out for a walk tonight wasn't a good idea couldn't go far because of pain and stiffness. I've been back into the Bonesmart library and found some really useful stuff in there. I've took pain meds and now I'm in bed icing and elevating x x x watching catch up tv soaps. Never used to watch them that much when I was working x x x
 
  • Useful
Reactions: rfk
Thanks for the hugs and not whaps @Jamie . I find ALL your advice helpful. It's just a matter if I actually follow it or not :headbang:

I hope you're feeling better @Nana moon 27

@Chihuahuan , how was mall walking? Did you follow the tile lines? Buy anything nice?

Well, I chickened out of quitting PT. I don't want to 'lose' what I've achieved, but still don't think I'm where I should be at this point. I am taking next week off though and only scheduled 1-2 visits for a few more weeks after that. Once again I'm very frustrated with my knee. It has hurt most of today and I did nothing up until PT this afternoon. The only differences I've made in the last 2 days were that I now use the stairs a few times a day at home and then my jaunt to Costco yesterday for 20 minutes. That is NOT doing too much for 10 weeks out. Even my therapist, whose scripted response always seems to be 'you're doing fine' and 'it's not that swollen' told me that my knee was swollen and that I wasn't overdoing things, so he couldn't figure it out. :sad: I'm soooo frustrated! My ROM keeps fluctuating, my knee hurts if I do anything more than walk across the house and I just can't seem to figure this out. One of the assistants thinks I might have Patellar Tendonitis (sp?), but heaven knows how I got that as I certainly don't jump around a lot. I don't have another PT session for almost 2 weeks, so we'll see what happens, I guess. *sigh* :gaah:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 maybe the rest from PT might help especially when you're using stairs etc. When you think about the actual amount of movement in a day you do that is an awful lot of exercise. I'm thinking with your work, your dogs and your household tasks and driving. When you think about it you do a lot reallyx x x x
 
DogLover.....remember that swelling can come from untreated pain (irratation). So.....please, please be sure when you hurt you are adequately icing, elevating and taking something for the ouchies. If you allow yourself to be in pain, you risk starting a cycle of pain and swelling.
 
Thank you @Jamie , today started pretty good too. Just frustrated is all. I have taken a couple of Tramadols today as well as my Tylenol and Diclofenac and still have a few oxy left should I need them. Believe me, I don't like pain, so am not afraid to up my medication should I need to. You know me though, I just get soooo frustrated not being able to 'do' anything normal yet. It's not like I went hiking, I went to Costco! :gaah:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I am like you wishing to get back to normal. This is frustrating. I had a nap but now I'm awake. I hope I can go off again I'm so tired. Anyway my friend I hope you get some sleep xoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:​
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom