Guest viewing is limited

THR My hip hip hooray journey<

Thanks, @Layla! IT band and muscle aches continue, but not as miserably as before. Walking, walking, walking. Beading, beading, beading. On,y wish I could squat and/or get down enough to get my socks on and tie my shoes. Darned tight muscles more than anything else. I may ask my Doc about how to manage the continued tightness and what really feels to be an unequal length compared with the left leg....I may still be babying the right titanium and ceramic hip..... but onward, ever onward I go!
 
You're still early into recovery at only two months post op.
I'm sure putting on socks and tying shoes will come. This recovery biz takes patience.
I'm happy to hear your muscle aches are improving somewhat. I'd advise you continue icing, if you're not already. Have you tried using a small footstool for socks and shoes? If not, give it a try.
Hope today is a good one!
@editted
 
Thanks, @Layla! Hope today and the rest of the week and weekend (!!!) are good ones. We are glad we likely will miss the hurricane for the most part in the DC area. As a type A, I am of the impatient variety, as I am sure you have already discerned! And, yes, I continue to ice madly and regularly!
 
@editted I noticed this post in another thread
@Garro61, I am right there with you. 9 weeks out and the muscle pain is driving me nuts. Doc has suggested massage therapy rather than PT to work out the kinks and possible adhesions. I booked my first one for the coming week. We shall see. Doc also said I should continue to walk as much as possible and gently do some stretches. I am going to see if KT tape can be applied by massage therapist, which also may help. Let me know how it goes between sessions for you. Do the muscles tighten up again rapidly? Stay in touch on what is going on with you, and I will, too
And then came and read your thread through and realised I'd really need to give you more advice.

So I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@Josephine , absolutely. Fire away with questions. Happy to answer and try to get to the bottom of my ongoing aches!
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Right THR, July 11, lateral approach

2. 4-5,subsiding to a 2

3. Off prescription pain meds. Take regular Tylenol occasionally, not regularly, until this week when I started taking it in the am and again before bedtime. Mostly to help me sleep.

4. icing the knee area, for at least 60 mins, sometimes more, 5-6 times a day

5. Elevating any time I sit

6. I walk around the condo, cook meals, shop occasionally, drive several times a week. I sweep and do dishes and put laundry and dishes away in high and low cabinets.

7.
I try to walk indoors or out daily 1-1½ miles
walking heel to toe without cane or other support.
Working to achieve 5,000 steps and then 10,000 steps
elliptical about 2 weeks ago, no more than 10 minutes at this point, but knee so I stopped.
Standing knee raises and standing side leg lifts abduction x15 each per leg 1x daily.

8. I quit outpatient PT after 6 weeks post surgery. The massage of my right muscles helped, but the PT exercises not so much so I quit!
 
2. 4-5, subsiding to a 2
Okay, got it
3. Off prescription pain meds. Take regular Tylenol occasionally, not regularly, until this week when I started taking it in the am and again before bedtime. Mostly to help me sleep.
You didn't say how much so I am assuming you are taking 1,000mg Tylenol but you should take it 3-4 times a day for best effect.
4. icing the knee area, for at least 60 mins, sometimes more, 5-6 times a day
Good
5. Elevating any time I sit
Jolly good!
6. I walk around the condo, cook meals, shop occasionally, drive several times a week. I sweep and do dishes and put laundry and dishes away in high and low cabinets.
That's fine
7.
I try to walk indoors or out daily 1-1½ miles
walking heel to toe without cane or other support.
Working to achieve 5,000 steps and then 10,000 steps
elliptical about 2 weeks ago, no more than 10 minutes at this point, but knee so I stopped.
Standing knee raises and standing side leg lifts abduction x15 each per leg 1x daily.
In case you didn't spot it before - read this
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

You'll find you have a lot less pain if you quit all that I've crossed out. And do yourself a favour - put that Fitbit in the drawer for at least 3 months! Do you know that 5k steps = 2½ miles and 10k = 4½ miles? That is, to put it mildy, a bit too much for 5 weeks out!

8. I quit outpatient PT after 6 weeks post surgery. The massage of my right muscles helped, but the PT exercises not so much so I quit!
Jolly good! That's the way to do it!
 
Hope you feel less pain this week. I bet it you stop the PT exercises & just walk, then you will feel better.
 
@Josephine ! Thank you so much for your recommendations. I have removed the fitbit. I am walking some, standing some, sitting some, etc. AND I have quit all the things you crossed out -- including the elliptical and ANY of the stretches I was given. I will go to see the massage therapist just to make me feel good all over. I haven't been taking 1000 Tylenol, been taking 300mg. Will try taking the 300 mg more frequently and, if it doesn't quell the aches, then I'll up the dosage to 1000. Thank you!!! Thank you!!! I feel better (mentally, if not physically) already! And Ice is always nice!!!

@Lski apparently I've been walking too much and using the elliptical is a no no. I am cutting down on the mileage and, as I told Josephine, I'm scheduling a massage to unkink ALL of me!!! Hugs to you and hope you are doing brilliantly!
 
So, having paid attention to @Josephine, my very achy muscles are slowly improving.

Almost 10 weeks out from THR on July 11 and under two weeks to my first big craft show (Smithsonian Craft2Wear show in Washington DC), and I can now do stairs almost normally and without the fear of really hurting when I do so! Walking is gaining distance and comfort. I have returned to regular (once a day) use of Aleve every morning and judicious use of both ice and heat.

The challenge remains to not “lurch” when I first get up from sitting to walk, or from standing still at length to moving. Stiffness and soreness at those times continue, but at reduced levels. Slow but steady....it works! Next marker is November visit to OD.


We shall see how I do at the show, and at the next two between now and early November! Those will be real litmus tests! Feeling more positive and hopeful than worried and negative at last!
 
:wave:So glad to hear all is improving.
As much as we beat the "don't try to rush the recovery" drum, folks (Like me) will sometimes only learn the hard way.
:shrug:
Thankfully you can get back on track.
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should!!
You've got this!:ok:
Onward!
 
P.s.
I had the "stutter steps" for many months after my replacements.
This too shall pass...
 
@Mojo333 , guess you have figured out that I tend NOT to take anything slow and steady! Must be the latent New Yorker in me! Lol!
 
Thanks, @SurreyGirl ! Sorry to have heard that your appointment got pushed back....have you seen anyone yet?

Your fears about work are reasonable, without a doubt! I hit 10 weeks tomorrow, so we are just about at the same place in our recovery!!! I have a major craft show (Run by the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC--a museum comparable to the Tate and British Museum combiner) coming up in under 2 weeks and am terrified about just standing or sitting and not walking for 8-10 hours a day during the 3-day show. Clearly I will be stiff as a board by the time I get home. Ice is my friend, but there is NO way for me to attach it to my hip during the show hours! I will medicate, walk as much as I can within the confines of the booth (and beyond) and do the best I can to get my leg up.

That is my way of saying that if you do have to go back to work, try to make it as comfortable as you can for yourself. If you have a chair, use it and another one to put your legs up. If you have access to a fridge (or can bring a small ice chest), keep some ice available. Take your meds early on in the whole thing and keep them going on schedule....You (and I) will get through this!!!!

My next appointment isn't until November....long wait, but I suspect that is how they do things in the US...
 
Hi there! And thanks for your post...

Typing this prior to going for a small walk.... I am getting prepared and have a small cooler box and blocks of ice to keep the ice packs cool as much as possible.

Your craft fair sounds lovely but 8 hours a day standing could be tricky. Would a tall stool work to sit on so you are still around “customer height”. Maybe get some of those instant ice packs or patches that first aiders use?

I am following a group of people who had ops around the same time as me and finding this very useful for info and encouragement. I am
Going out for a 1/2 mile walk in a minute and see if this improves the stiffness. Still have some burning pain at top of scar but scar looking ok.

Btw I have been known to strap an ice pack to my leg under my trousers whilst sitting at home. Ok until I stand up and then it shifts!

I can’t remember if you said if you were using a crutch or walking unaided yet. This is getting much easier for me at home now but not confident enough outside as yet.
 
Good Luck at the craft show, editted.
Do your ankle circles and march in place while you're stuck in your booth :wink: People may think you're crazy, feel sorry for you and purchase your beadwork. :heehee:

By the looks of what you posted, I'm sure it will be a profitable show for you. Have fun!
@editted
 
Hope your walk is comfortable and successful. I try for a combination of purposive walking outside (or inside today since it is raining) and general walking around once an hour to avoid stiffness. I've averaged around 1.5-2 miles each day as the result. And that is generally without trying. Oh, and I'm doing it all without support. I do bring my collapsible cane with me on outdoor jaunts, mostly to keep people from running into me (I'm short!)

Today, I threw out the trash down the hall (we live in an elevator condominium--our "downsized" move in January from a larger more suburban home) and walked back past our unit and went down the stairs a flight, right foot, left foot, Not one foot always leading. Then I came back up (total of 14 steps). Wasn't terrible, but wasn't perfect. I will try doing it every day and adding steps each day, as long as it doesn't hurt. I am now preparing to ice.

As far as the show goes, I have a bar-height chair that I use. It has a prop for me so my legs don't just hang down. That means I can flex them readily. However, I tend t stand at shows.....Given the larger size of the booth (10x15 instead of 10x10) I will have a bit more walking room. I may strap an ice pack to my knee, which is where i get stiffest (right above my kneecap on the front of my leg....)

Let's keep in touch. When was your THR?
 
@Layla. Thanks for your vote of confidence about the show. I, too, hope it is a successful one and am madly beading (when I'm not writing here, that is!). I have been known to do leg-lifts when seated in my booth (and that was even before THR!) Back then I would squat and stand (ouch) but not now. I will practice ankle circles, marching AND the ever-popular toe-rises on one foot. AND I will be taking my meds religiously! (Probably also having a nice glass of wine the moment I get home to help unwind and make me sleepy!)

Stay tuned; I will provide a full update, for better, I hope!
 
Back
Top Bottom