Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain issues weeks post-op

Sorry those words were supposed to be when I get home from work. I did voice dictation and it came out wrong. I apologize
 
Hi @Garro61 ... I'm thinking full time work ... and PT ... and performing in a play ... and exercising on the elliptical and bicycle ... and driving all those miles ... you know where I'm going ... yeah ... just a bit (actually more than a bit) too much--actually way too much ... and way too soon.

BTW: my surgery is coming up in two days ... and I'm talking to you AND talking to myself!
 
Last edited:
Hi @Garro61
Hope you're having a nice day. Sorry to derail your thread for a minute.
Would love to have Going4fun join us post op.
A great week to you!


Hey @Going4fun
I love your avatar, cute!
Wanted to wish you the best on your upcoming surgery tomorrow.
If you start a thread on the Recovery side we'll leave you the Recovery Guidelines.
We'd love to offer you support and encouragement as you heal, without derailing others threads.
Please consider starting a thread, we'd love to follow your journey!
 
Yes @Layla, would love the recovery guidelines! Just got the call to be at the hospital at 9 a.m. tomorrow.
 
So after a week of shooting pain from my knee I have made an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. I am hoping to get some answers to my pain. I am thinking editted is correct. It may be an IT band issue.

Stay tuned folks for an update tomorrow
 
We'll be here. Let us know how it goes.
Hopefully you get answers tomorrow and a plan to gain relief.
Wishing you comfort!
@Garro61
 
OK so I have good news. My leg/knee pain is my IT Band and the Rectus Femoris muscle in my leg. The Doctor said this a normal contraction of them. He is going to talk to the Physical Therapist about doing exercises to stretch it out. My issue is I can’t take NSAID pain relievers due to my DVT. The doctor feels the PT will be of great help with my pain. He also said I can put heat on it for relief rather than ice.

I was happy to hear that I had not injured myself as I believed I had last week. My xrays were great they showed no signs of any damage to my new hip. THANK GOD
 
Sorry for your pain...but good news and great relief to you I'm sure.
Hopefully all will ease soon!
Hope today is a good day!
 
Hi there, :wave:
Wishing you comfort and hope you find pain relief soon.
Let us know how it goes with PT.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Garro61
 
Rectus Femoris muscle
AKA the quads!
He is going to talk to the Physical Therapist about doing exercises to stretch it out. The doctor feels the PT will be of great help with my pain.
He is wrong! On both counts! There will be nothing good come out of doing exercises/PT, I can promise you that.
He also said I can put heat on it for relief rather than ice.
I'd suggest you used heat sparingly. Maybe 20% of the time and ice 80%.
 
I’m happy to report I went to physical therapy yesterday and the doctor had stopped by and instructed the therapist to work on my IT band and the other nerve that was giving me an issue. I did some of my normal routine then she massaged and worked on those two spots and I walked in with pain and walked up pain-free. I go back today and again she will massage that band and the other spot. I’m feeling better already. Hoping to be in a lot less pain over the next couple of days since physical therapy ends on the 24th.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you all for your support
 
My quads stayed super sore for first four months and tender for quite a bit after. Usually from too much activity.
Rest and ice after a day of going!
All good now though!
Hope your weekend is restful!
 
@Garro61, I am right there with you. 9 weeks out and the muscle pain is driving me nuts. Doc has suggested massage therapy rather than PT to work out the kinks and possible adhesions. I booked my first one for the coming week. We shall see. Doc also said I should continue to walk as much as possible and gently do some stretches. I am going to see if KT tape can be applied by massage therapist, which also may help. Let me know how it goes between sessions for you. Do the muscles tighten up again rapidly? Stay in touch on what is going on with you, and I will, too
 
Doc has suggested massage therapy rather than PT to work out the kinks and possible adhesions.
Well you don't need any PT for a hip anyway so don't know why he's saying that! And it's almost impossible for hips to get adhesions!
Doc also said I should continue to walk as much as possible
I'd take a step back from "as much as possible".

You must have seen this about the forum - I post it ad nauseum!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better
. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
My doctor gave the physical therapist some new exercises to do for my IT band along with 15 minutes of massage in the band at the end of my session. This has helped dramatically with the pain is pretty much gone. Today I had my last therapy session and I’m continuing to do my exercises at home. To be honest with you I had stopped doing them due to my work schedule I think that’s what led to the IT band issue. I tried KT tape before going to see the doctor and it did not help at all

For the first time since surgery I really feel like I am on the mend. I have have virtually no pain since they’ve been massaging my IT band. I am going to continue with massage therapy twice a week just on that leg.
 
Happy to hear the pain is almost gone :yay:
You sound encouraged. Hopefully it eases to the point of no return.
Thanks for updating. I hope you have a great weekend! :)
@Garro61
 
Glad you found relief.
Four month mark was my biggest "I think this will be okay" month.
Still try to rest that hip more when possible and let all that deep healing happen.
Hope you have a great weekend!
 
Hope all has been on the upswing with your recovery.
Hope you have been taking it easy and still icing it up:ice:
Have a good weekend @Garro61 :) :-) (:
 
Yes. Thank you I am doing better and better everyday. I have definitely turned the corner in my recovery. I continue my PT exercises at home and I am still icing hip and knee as needed
 
Back
Top Bottom