Guest viewing is limited

THR My hip hip hooray journey<

Great news and that was about when I started to feel better. Keep listening to your body because it will always tell you what it needs.
 
Glad you are getting over those problems. Forgot to get up using the crutches to step up to and did it naturally without thinking. Sometimes things just happen! Just need to train H to park s distance away from the kerb as the twist that resulted from stepping half into the kerb at an angle reminded me to take care!
Mind you, some twit had parked in the Disabked parking place outside the restaurant. I did give him a “ look” as I walked sedately past his table (he is a regular there). I am sure karma will prevail shortly..
 
@SurreyGirl, I have been walking almost all day around the condo without the cane. Still icing a lot. Went out to dinner the other night with friends. Seems that I get very stiff when sitting in a chair foe too long. I kept exercising my leg, lifting off chair, ankle flexes, leg raises, all to keep it looser. Went to get up and I was sooooo stiff! Then I nearly messed myself up getting into the very high suv’s back seat! Didn’t swivel enough —owie! But this morning, all better.
It does seem very inconsiderate of people to park where they shouldn’t! I guess we become more aware of it once we are members of the “handicapped” populTion, albeit for a relatively abbreviated period of time!
Seems that the IT band is much better when I take an Aleve. Is that a bad thing @Mojo333 ? I seem to recall it might not be a good thing to take too often.
 
All very true editred. Got some pain this evening and wondered if I overdid the walk? Oh well, body will let me know tomorrow.
 
@Layla , thanks so much. I am going back to Tylenol to,see if it works for me. Aleve had been my go-to for occasional use. The information was, in a word,illuminating!
 
Josephine told me early on in my recovery Tylenol was a better choice.
I am constantly reading confirmations through research that NSAIDS are not a good choice for recovering hip patients.

FYI - an excerpt:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells. Therefore, we suggest choosing acetaminophen (paracetamol) for mild to moderate pain and opioids for severe pain in patients following total hip replacement.
 
You seem to be doing very well. Keep it going, I'm a few days behind you and often forget where I left the cane when walking in the house. I always take it with me outside. I'm still not sure I'm ready for walking down the street but look forward to walking when the summer heat lifts. I prefer a trip to the grocery store pushing a cart.
I'll be doing water therapy in a few weeks and returning to work this Thursday. One step at a time....
 
@Lski, we are both doing magnificently! I go for my 6-week doctor visit this coming Friday and will ask about water therapy, which I really want to do. Less ache, more gain!
I am already back to work — but I am a freelancer which means I can work on my laptop, literally on my lap,with legs up! Newsletter in the works as I write!
May we both move forward, caneless sooner rather than later, and pain free!
 
@Mojo333, I am now officially back to Tylenol! Thanks for the insights, the reading material and the time and attention! It is all coming together as I slowly, it surely, improve and return to full activity with a pin fee new bionic, magic hip!!
 
:hi: @editted
You're doing well. Nice you can work and show your leg some TLC at the same time!
I hope you have a nice Sunday and a great week!
 
So glad to see that you can see the light at the end of the recovery tunnel.:SUNsmile:
Still super early days but you are doing great and all will keep getting better...
Hope today is a good day.:flwrysmile:
 
Took a walk carrying my cane. I walked half a mile without using the cane. When I started feeling as if I was limping and not using my glutes to push off heel toe walking, I started using the cane again. This was yesterday, at 6 weeks to the day of my right THR. Came home and iced and took a nap.only ache is from the IT band, not the hip itself. Taking it slow and quiet today, but I find that, in the main, I can get around the condo without the cane. I use the cane when first getting up and a bit until the stiffness I still feel after sitting or lying down is gone. Often about 5-10 steps. Life is getting good! I see the surgeon tomorrow and, I hope he will agree that no more PT is needed, and that I can walk and do water work instead! It will be good to hit the pool before it closes!! Will post again post doctor visit.
 
Great progress. Good for you!
Let us know how your visit with the OS goes tomorrow. Best of luck.
A great day to you!
@editted
 
That's the way you do it.:ok:
Hope you're cleared for the pool...careful there too!
No falling, and easy to overdo without realizing it.

Great job @editted :yes!:
 
I swear, there's something in the water around here - a bunch of people have been attacked by bands of rogue IT's, and I'm so sorry that you're one of the victims! Maybe once you get in the water you can get it worked out - at least I hope so. Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom