THR My hip hip hooray journey<

Reporting in on my 6-week visit to the doctor. Drove myself and parked in the large indoor car park. Walked to the building and upstairs (elevators, silly people!) to the Doc. Got to see the PA! My doctor was off on the other side of the country getting his daughter settled in her college dorm! X-ray of hips showed them to be pretty even, with a beautiful titanium hip onto and around which bone already is growing. (Sounds like an invasive plant to me!)
I have been cleared to swim, to cross my legs and do anything I want, short of falling down! What I needed to understand was why my IT band was in rebellion. I got a clear answer that rather surprised me. They had split the IT band during surgery (a planned part of the surgery), shoved it out of the way both fore and aft to get at the hip and femur. Then they sewed it back together. IT issues are not entirely uncommon with the lateral approach, apparently, Who knew?? Surely not I!!
So it will be a matter of time as the inflammation at the top and bottom of the IT band calms down. My wonderful PA said that I had the misfortune of having a really tight IT band, but that continued exercise would help, as would massage. He recommended a few exercises, agreed that my icing is a good thing, and encouraged water work....

And so it goes. Knee area and glute area remain sore. Foam roller is helping, so is ice. But I continue to walk. Once I get going, the stiffness relaxes. I have even forgotten to use the cane more often than not, at least in the condo. My gait, according to thr PA and PT is very close to normal with and without the cane, (I had been rushing my off leg when walking with the cane. Slowing my gait down and a little concentration ended that near habit before it was totally ingrained in my aged brain. And I am selling off the frame and seat that raise the height of the commode (lol, to my fri nds across the small pond). Already have gifted a friend who will be having her THR on Monday with all of the lifters and grabbers that initially were so helpful.

Onward we go. Will celebrate hubby’s birthday tomorrow at a fabulous tapas restaurant where we will gorge ourselves on the calamari and octopus we enjoyed so much in Barcelona—our last trip before my hip began giving me trouble. Already planning a series of trips with lots of walking in Ireland, the Pancific Northwest, and another to the Dalmatian Coast. Have new hip, will travel.

If anyone has some good recommendations for loosening up the muscles and keeping them that way, do let me know.
 
Oh, such a hopeful happy update!:egypdance:
Only one and one half months out...not nearly healed as will be in several months.
Sending you all the best!:yes!:
 
Ok, happy Labor Day to those in the US. I am almost 8 weeks post THR and, for those who may not have been paying attention, I was doing brilliantly until my IT band went crazy. All I have been doing is walking for the past two weeks, and I am increasingly in pain around my knee, both front and outside, and then up at the hip, along the outside and into the glutes. When I sit, I find it increasingly hard and painful to get up and I am very very stiff..and it hurts. I have been icing diligently, massaging the IT band, and walking no more than 0.5 miles, with the cane. The more I walk without the cane, the more it seems to hurt. I will be calling my OD’s office tomorrow to figure out what to do. My guess is that they will recommend PT, but I am not sure how that will help at this point.
It was all going so very well until midweek this past week. At one point it hurt so much that I took an extra strength Tylenol, something I hadn’t had to do before.
Wondering if anyone has had this complaint and what you did to resolve it! Ouch, it hurts. And I have a major craft show in early October and need to be in fighting shape for setup and a few days of standing in my booth with a chipper smile on my face and no pain in my leg! HELP!
 
:wave: hey friend.
I don't know where you expected to be at two months out...actually less...but you have to know I'm going to say that your frustration is directly related to the fact that we HAVE HAD our HIPS replaced and it is going to take longer than you maybe think to get back to normal activity.
It's good to be optimistic because this is a life changing event bit it doesn't happen on our timeline.
I have alot of faith that all will be well...In DUE TIME
Please keep the faith.
Rooting for you!:yay:
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 , yeah, I am the queen of type As! I didn’t expect to take 5 steps back after feeling so well ...shocked me, in case you couldn’t tell!
I have no intention of giving up or relying on meds or overdoing it with the PT to solve my problems.

Celebrating Labor Day, Took a walk with hubby today..not far and with the cane. Iced. Went to the gym to see if any of the equipment would work for me. No to the treadmill...made my legs stiff. No to the recumbent bike; couldn’t even get on. Yes to the elliptical for 5 minutes with no program. And yes to all of the arm work I can do to keep the arms strong and toned.
We shall see how I feel in the morning. I may go back to daily Tylenol for the short-term. And I will check in with my doc. His PA has been helpful and supportive, and answers my questions with good advice, most of the time.
I won’t give up; I just figured I would be “home free” by around now..... guess not! LOL,
 
I was myself naive to the recovery process!:umm:
But you are truly going to figure this out...as I did..:beg:.that willing it to be so...being healthy and active...can hurt the process.
Glad you took a good easy day and are doing things well...but you might be amazed if you drop all that "working on it" that it will come..albeit not exactly as quickly as we would like!
Worth a lifetime of health and happiness...truly.
I am sending all the best your way!:friends:
 
So sorry you are in pain. I haven't given up on the Tylenol, aspirin & Naproxen yet. They get me through my days & nights. I expect to still use them until the pain is gone and I don't notice my new hip. Maybe you can sit while you tend to your craft booth in October??
 
@editted - I feel your frustration and pain. Mine is not ( I don't think) ITB, but just overall pain, twinges, shocks after about 10 days of feeling REALLY good. I can't even pinpoint 'why' as I've not increased walking or exercise, but I still don't sleep! Even the couch is painful now.

I just have to do as you and suck it up and remind myself (and hubby) I'm still healing. We have a three week RV camping trip starting tomorrow, am nervous but know I will have plenty of down time to offset the extra activity.

The ITB was a main issue for me pre-op. But recommended stretches aren't things I can do yet. Have you tried the Bonesmart recommendations now that you can cross your legs??

Chin up my friend, we will get through this slow and steady, right?

Sleep well...
 
So sorry you're struggling.
It is disappointing to feel like you're taking steps backwards.
I hope you're ITB issues ease quickly.
Take it easy and hopefully you'll be ack to where you were soon.
@editted
 
@Bchbum4evr, I guess it is all about letting nature take its time to heal you. I am an impatient woman, in case you hadn’t noticed. I suspect the ups and, in both of our cases, the downs are a product of the overall healing process. We adapted to our hip pain by changing how we walked; now we are working to right ourselves again, and a lot of muscles, tendons and nerves have to accommodate our return to healthy walking. And different parts hurt as the result.
You will do fine on your RV trip. You can get up and walk around, get the hips and knees moving, and sit when you need to. How will you handle sleeping? Gotta get into that bed! Good incentive!!
At this point, I have sworn off PT. Instead, I have been walking. One trip around my block (with a big hill down one side and a lesser hill up on the other) is around 1/4 mile. Today, I did 2 1/2 times around. Tomorrow I go for 3 1/2. If I can get to 4, that will be a mile. Today, though, I followed the walk with 5 minutes on the elliptical trainer (watching the hearing for the apparent next Supreme Court Justice). It helped with the IT band, or so it seemed. Ice and rest for the rest of the day, other than a few trips up and down and around the building,
We will, indeed, survive...we will thrive! Let’s give ourselves 6 months.
Safe travels, or as Roy and Dale used to say (or sing) Happy Trails.
 
:flwrysmile:@Layla, I know it will get better. I was too stubborn to take any meds. I am now taking extra strength Tylenol and the IT band hurts less. It allows me to do some serious walking that I am now measuring with my smart phone. Not up to a mile yet, but I expect to be there by the end of the week (assuming the humidity finally drops! That has been the biggest bugaboo or fly in the walking ointment!) and I ice and rest in between it all. Thanks for your support. It helps!
 
We adapted to our hip pain by changing how we walked; now we are working to right ourselves again, and a lot of muscles, tendons and nerves have to accommodate our return to healthy walking. And different parts hurt as the result.
Especially if we try to get them to do more than they are ready to do before they have had a chance to heal and settle from trauma!

At this point, I have sworn off PT. Instead, I have been walking. One trip around my block (with a big hill down one side and a lesser hill up on the other) is around 1/4 mile. Today, I did 2 1/2 times around. Tomorrow I go for 3 1/2. If I can get to 4, that will be a mile.
Still seems like pushing it a bit too much in my opinion.
A day of exercise followed by a day of not so much and icing and resting might bring a better result.

Really don't want to see you pushing through the pain.
Not a helpful strategy.
I worry you are precipitating chronic issues. Not even two months out for you, dear @editted
Just because we can, doesn't always mean we should.
Hope today is an easy does it good day!:SUNsmile:
 
Ah, wise @Mojo333 . You said a mouthful there. I am resting today after working and walking yesterday. I shall follow your gentle advice to be more gentle with myself, too. I have always been the type to jump into things with both feet (so to speak). Guess I need to moderate that habit for now at least.:bath::flwrysmile: And so I shall. Thanks for the impetus to actually do less!:roseshwr:
 
@editted - I apologize for my debbie downer post on your thread, was having a pity party for one!

Stopping PT is a great plan, can always go back later if needed. Sounds like you are doing a good job of balancing activity and rest.

What kind of crafts do you do? Envious of such talented folks.

Have a restful day..
 
@Bchbum4evr, you aren’t a Debbie Downer at all! I seem to be right there with you! It is one helluva roller coaster ride! All we need to do, I suppose, is to listen to our bodies and to hang on for dear life! You, at least, get to recover in an RV, while I am hunkered down working on my jewelry. I work with tiny glass beads, sewing them into jewelry and Judaica. Getting ready for the Smithsonian’s Craft2Wear show in early October, and two others between then and early November (Academy Art Museum in MD, and the Philadelphia Museum Craft Show in early November). Busy, busy, busy! (Website is broken link removed: https://www.theafine.com, if you want to get an idea of what I do.)
Biggest issue is set up and tear down. Lots of up and down to do so, with 3 days (give or take) of standing in the booth to sell my wares! oy!
 
Wow, @editted I'm impressed!
If that's the type of beading you're involved in it looks intricate, tedious but beautiful.
Please consider posting a photo in the Social Area under Community.
There are a few threads on Crafts, Artists.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/social-room.11/
I think many would enjoy seeing your work.
Have a great day!
 
OMGLADIOLAS! You do beautiful work! No wonder you are anxious to get back to it!

Hopefully your plan of Tylenol, rest and exercise will make you ready for upcoming shows.
 
Your work is beautiful. Hope to see it in person when you get to Philly in November. I'm sure you'll have much more strength by then to handle set up, standing & tear down. Get helpers if needed. I know it goes faster when a group breaks it down ( My brother & his wife have a craft booth at the Big E every year. I helped them tear down last year.)
 
Beautiful...I'm in awe.
I (also) have the patience of a gnat so easier for me to advise as I had a tendency to figure it all out the hard way!
Certainly don't have the skill or patience to create such beautiful art.
Hope today is a good day!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and feeling stronger week by week.
Good luck with your upcoming craft shows.
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you do well with your shiny new hip!
@editted
 
Back
Top Bottom