Guest viewing is limited

THR My hip hip hooray journey<

Weekend is quiet...a good thing! Hope yours is everything you want it to be, @Mojo333 ! Darn IT band loosens up for PT and then tightens up overnight...grrr. Massage and ice, ice and massage. Hip is fine....sheesh!! Got a girlfriend coming to take the “stuff” from early days (3-in-one commode, leg lifter, etc. she heads into surgery in 2 weeks. We will be matched bookends...me right, she left.
Just really want to get this ITB issue solved... it seems to come and go, and come again. Nuts!
Anyone have any ideas that don’t involve crossing my legs for exercise?????
 
These are early days, editted. If I were you I wouldn't be doing any exercises, but just focus on resting and healing at this stage. And while resting, why not check out our new club, the OCC? We have competitions as to who can rest the hardest and longest. :)
 
I'm going to give you my post recovery...I took it easy...getting my issues all behind me, yep I'm bragging weekend plan to begin in fifteen minutes.
Ride wide ATV with Mojo my pooch perched between my legs...around through the beautiful woods...get disgustingly hot and sweaty and then jump in beautiful clear pond to swim and float.
Lots of walking and no hip pain!
Probably not everyone's ideal, but I have been loading and unloading donations at the food bank and dealing with difficult people all week...so Vitamin D therapy and aquatherapy is in order!
Behave and you too will be back to life soon.:wink:
Hope the IT issue resolved soon...
:SUNsmile:
 
@An54 ,I’ll bite. What is the OCC? I have been resting with my legs up, walking and icing. pT 2x a week, with icing at the end. Mostly massage ofIT band at present. At 4.5 weeks, the hip itself is doing pretty well. Just want to get moving sitting in recliner with legs up is getting old! Sigh

@Mojo333, your weekend plans sound like fun. ATVs are not my thing- bikes are more my speed- but the plunge in the pond sounds wonderful! Still waiting for the go-ahead for getting back to swimming a little. The warm water therapy pool at my PT place is downright tantalizing!
Meanwhile, I will get into shorts and a sleeeless top down it on a divan the pool. Vitamin D therapy, indeed!! That and a good book to read, Andi will be in recovery heaven,
Have a great rest of the weekend!
 
I know recovery is boooring !!:bored:
But well worth it!
Behave.:no-fin:
 
Thanks @Mojo333. I absolutely will behave— as my 96 year old mother reminds me, I have always been a good girl! Lol. And,yes, recovery is boring indeed!! and fattening!
 
Just got out of the pond and have been riding and it was STUPENDOUS.
Last year, I was despondent.
It still amazes me.
Now...day is done

[Bonesmart.org] My hip hip hooray journey<
 
You WILL get there.
Hope you rest well tonight.
 
@An54 ,I’ll bite. What is the OCC? I have been resting with my legs up, walking and icing. pT 2x a week, with icing at the end. Mostly massage ofIT band at present....

The OCC is a newly minted international organization promoting the Grand Goodness of the Rest Cure for Hippies. There are branches in the UK, USA, Canada, and membership has quintupled over the last week alone.

Basically we believe that you should heal and rest--not exercise--for at least 3 months after surgery.
 
Hi! Sounds like you're progressing very well. Congratulations on your drive to PT.

@Lala, your post above on using the cane mention nerve gliding exercises. Can you tell me what these are?
 
@Mojo333 , what a wonderful pond, and a tranquil sunset! Not surprised you find it a wonderful weekend slice of heaven. I feel much the same about the beach at dawn,
@An54 , happy to join the club, as long as hubbster continues to cater to my needs. Otherwise, I must be the busy bee when it comes to cooking...he is not the chef here! LOL. Working hard not to work!

@Lski , hope YOU are also progressing well. Biggest headache for me is ITB. Gets in the way of almost everything, including just asking. Grrrr. But I persevere when it comes to basic movement! Ice ice ice
 
Happy one month hipversary!:flwrysmile:
I think you are doing just fine.

Sorry for the ITB issues.
I have several family members who suffer with it and it certainly is a struggle.

Hope today is a good day!:tada:
 
Happy (belated) One Month Anniversary!
Sorry about those issues you're having.
Wishing you comfort as you continue healing.
I hope you have a great day!
@editted
 
So, I am heading toward my 6-week check up one week from today and, at last, I may, just may, have turned the corner. As I have detailed previously, my THR of my right hip was done with a lateral approach, midway between the anterior and posterior approaches. In other words, it was done right down the outside of my right hip and thigh.

The hip has been wonderful from virtually the very start with minimal PT other than the basic moves and those done gently. I have been using a cane since 2 weeks out, but - and it is a big but - that was when the problems began. Nothing to do with my hip, but everything to do with my right IT band and muscles up in the groin. They simply knotted up and wouldn’t come unknotted. For 3 weeks, virtually all my PT has been doing twice a week has been massage to help the incredible pain that has limited my ROM, particularly lifting my right knee when standing.

Well, today, somehow, and for reasons unknown, and after a wretched day yesterday, I am (dare I say it?) pain free and walking brief distances cane-less and without a limp. OMG! Maybe, just maybe, the corner has been turned! I continue to walk a lot, to massage the IT band area, to ice, and to do minimal recommended exercises (like tightening my gauges and pressing my knee down into the bed when lying on my back.). I can do other exercises, but I have been walking and working to tuck my butt under and stand as tall as my 5’ height allows.

I just hope the lack of pain isn’t fleeting, because I feel sooooo good!! Thanks to this wonderful group of people for helping me to keep on keeping on so far through this crazy journey!
 
Hi editted!
Sounds like you had a temporary set back. I am glad that you are feeling better. I am 12 weeks PO from LTHR and feel pretty darn good. I, too, started with the standard PT exercises but found that just walking was best for me. I still have "twitches and twinges" every now and then but on the whole I am feeling better than I thought I would at this stage.
Hang in there!
 
@editted Wonderful update! I was thinking about you today. So very happy you have found relief finally.

Pain free is amazing, just don't overdo because you feel so great! (I may or may not know something about that!).

Today, I got in my car, drove to the grocery store and realized I'd left my cane at home! Didn't even think about it!

Let's keep slow and steady!
 
@Bchbum4evr , woo hoo for both of us! I have been cruising around the apartment and down to the lobby to pick up packages without the cane, too! Just began today, and that was after PT, which usually leaves me achy and tired! Hooray for us!!
 
:yes!:
Glad to hear it
It will keep getting better.
Don't be getting cocky on us now.
Hope your weekend is wonderful!:egypdance:
 
@Mojo333, you sound like my mother! Noooooo, I will NOT get cocky and do anything foolish! I am writing from my recliner chair with my legs up and ice along the IT band. Walking with cane after rising from bed or chair, since I can get unsteady initially. And NOT doing any whacko IT band exercises suggested by the PT (at least one of which involved crossing legs!) will see doctor in a week (6 weeks out) and will see if I can do water therapy, which my body would really like to do! And will ask how long he thinks I should do PT in general, after he checks my ROm and does the x-rays.
I plan to have a lovely, relaxing weekend. A nice walk or two with hubby and a good meal with wine, and no whine!!
Have a great weekend yourself!! Will check in after the doctor visit.
 
I'm starting to sound like my mother too:groan:
Sounds like you've got this.
The OS appointment with reassuring Xrays really helped my self confidence!
I plan to have a lovely, relaxing weekend. A nice walk or two with hubby and a good meal with wine, and no whine!!
:giggle:

Good for you...:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom